Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if Tesla would assign personalised number plate at the time of delivery rather than us doing it later?
I asked this yesterday and for Southampton collection the answer was no. Bought myself TE59 LAY for a mere £250... Most plates that have TES or TE5 are a lot more expensive. Interestingly the plate B16 GOX is also available for anyone with the balls to match 🤣

Had a test drive in the Model Y at Thorpe Park this morning. Was told by the staff they are moving out this week. Asked about collecting my Model Y from Thorpe Park and was told it would be Brent Cross or Southampton.
As someone who hasn't yet had a test drive, do we know where the test cars are being moved to? I assume we can drive them elsewhere...

I'm quite sure I'll have no major complaints about the car, but equally I think it's wise to drive one before purchase if at all possible.

Seems that the Tesla agents have had an internal Teams meeting regarding the spec of the first deliveries as they were getting tired of not knowing answers to all the questions coming over. According to Tesla Cribs they will have AMD and full double glazing and the extra range advertised but will not have the parcel shelf. This goes for all orders delivered Feb and March.

Also: They are getting lots of deferrals due to people wanting 22 plates.
I would gladly take one of them, don't mind 71 plate.

I asked this yesterday and for Southampton collection the answer was no. Bought myself TE59 LAY for a mere £250... Most plates that have TES or TE5 are a lot more expensive. Interestingly the plate B16 GOX is also available for anyone with the balls to match 🤣
Imagine the PR they will get with "Tesla" like sounding number plate like yours! They're missing a trick by not going that extra mile. May be a good idea to keep pestering them as there is enough time between now and delivery date. Persistence pays. 😋

The paint was the easy bit for me. I like the white with black trim and it was included in the price. I don’t think it’s boring.

Now the wheels, that was a whole other problem….
For the extra cost of red paint you could have PPF which now seems to come in a variety of colours.

I’ve gone grey and tempted by clear satin finish PPF which looks rather nice.

Reactions: dangrenade
As someone who hasn't yet had a test drive, do we know where the test cars are being moved to? I assume we can drive them elsewhere...

I'm quite sure I'll have no major complaints about the car, but equally I think it's wise to drive one before purchase if at all possible.
I received a text the other day about Glasgow getting a Model Y for the show room so there may be some heading this way for test drive.

Possibly but rumour is the MYP will come from Germany so they will producing RHD almost immediately.

I’m not sure why it is thought that RHD is such a big deal, the plant would have been designed for both. Toyota and other manufacturers can produce any combination of colour, interior trim, LHD/RHD etc on the same production line alternating with every single vehicle, so Tesla shouldn’t have any problem batch producing them, especially with such a minimalist interior with nearly all parts shared between the two.
iirc Elon's tweeted previously saying it's no big deal switching lhd to rhd production.

Hi Pete,
Yes you can pick up someone else’s car at a delivery event, but they need an email in advance from the registered keeper giving this permission and with a copy of both driving licenses attached as proof. I know you paid but best follow the procedure as it’s what I was told I needed to do to be sure.
I will be picking up one for myself and one for a relative at the Bristol event on the 15th.
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. I’ll do that.

What email address do I send it to? I’ve only had a “prepare for deliver” email so far, which looks like it’s probably a no-reply address. Thanks.

Not since my Land Rover Defender 110 have I been this excited about a new car. The fact that the Tesla it is quick isn't an attraction for me as both my ICE cars are quicker, and TBH I don't speed on the road (there is a story here) but it is that fact that I am moving to an EV that is exciting me the most. Anderson charger is booked for install on the 2 February, and then we just wait for the arrival of Mr Y in Red in March (I hope). Booked 30 October 21.

Reactions: dangrenade
For the extra cost of red paint you could have PPF which now seems to come in a variety of colours.

I’ve gone grey and tempted by clear satin finish PPF which looks rather nice.
I considered this, but couldn't find someone in Hampshire willing to do full a full 3M Wrap with VAT for less than £3.5k on a Model Y.

Plus on-top dealing with the complication that the Direct Line group of Insurers and lots of other Underwriters don't cover Wrapped cars, at all I decided to go with Red Paint from Factory. Being 24 and still having extortionate insurance costs, I can't cut my choices in half, ha!

Reactions: dazzap
Did anybody else try the Tesla Loan option and still waiting on contract to be drawn up? I have confirmed delivery at Bristol on 15th, but still can’t make the down payment, and still only shows the RN and no VIN.

Last edited: