Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got home from Bristol delivery and read through this so far. Offering my summary here, going into a bit more detail where I can hopefully add a bit of definitive value given my automotive development background.

I was picking up 2 MY's today and I will start by saying that they are both very solidly built, no squeaks and rattles, no panel gap issues (large but consistent, so OK) and I AM VERY HAPPY at this stage. Everything else here that sounds like moans is just critique, with me having assessed 100's of cars through the years for all aspects, but particularly for Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) and Audio and Infotainment. I am happy because THE CARS ARE GREAT!

Event:
The event was a non-event and Tesla made a gaff by calling it a Delivery Event and telling me on the phone there would be swag and cool other stuff presumably to tempt us to take a 71 plate rather than wait 2 weeks. I was told it would be "spectacular." Not cool Tesla, not cool. That said, if the cars had be badly built and the event amazing, that would have been far, far worse. So overall, good. (Tesla have an exceptional control over their operating costs and today we saw why other car companies only make 5% operating margin and Tesla make about 18% - They spent £50 on Jaffa cakes!) So overall, the right balance, first world problems. TAKE UMBRELLAS THIS WEEK BECAUSE CARS ARE ALL OUTSIDE!

OK the car info:
Weirdly my blue car has the paint protection film in front of the rear wheels and my black car doesn't?!?!
Both have front mud flaps only.
Neither car has any of the Type C USB ports working. This will be a service fix, until then, wireless charging or 12V socket through an adaptor only. (The sockets are there but not the printed circuit boards behind them. (THIS WAS NOT STATED TO US TODAY.)
No parcel shelves, no ledges for them, the Ali express third party part is the way to go as it has the additive side mouldings included.
Can't really comment on the paint finish as its just been too wet, not too worried about this, Shanghai doesn't have the old paint shop like Fremont, so I'm not expecting issues.
2021 software as delivered was reliable, but I am only downloading 2022 software now I'm back on WIFI.
Side glass, I think I can clear this up for everyone - Yes it has laminated side glass fitted front and rear. (This is what some people call double glazing.) So, YES we have the new uprated rear glass to compliment the front glass already changed a couple of years ago. BUT, This laminated glass (poly-vinyl bonded or PVB) does not look to me to be acoustic PVB, just ordinary PVB. (acoustic PVB normally has an ear symbol on the markings or the word acoustic. Basically this normal PVB offers about half the benefit of acoustic PVB (at around half the cost) but to my tuned ears it has done the job well on this vehicle. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by how good this car was. For anyone still reading at this point, the parcel shelf would provide SOME benefit, but not much. There was no dominating higher frequency openness coming from the rear, but some mid frequency that was inoffensive to me. (Would be of more benefit to rear passengers, obviously.) The mid frequency from the rear would have me treating the rear tub with damping and some felt below that trim. If I were tasked with making that car quieter tomorrow I would be heading straight to the second set of door seals sold on ali express to give the greatest benefit, as without doing this, any other money spent on a parcel shelf or otherwise would offer little benefit. I will be living with the car as it is for a while before making any mods, as I find it to be that good. Wind noise was good, road noise was good, biggest niggle beinng the very audible whines when the vehicle starts pre-conditioning for super-charging. That said, all opinions will be different and fall within a bell curve as at least 50% of acoustics is psychoacoustics and brains are highly subjective and variable. My dissertation for my degree many years ago was actually on subjective responses to vehicle noise, so I know we will all hear whatever we hear, and be valid opinions! Therefore I'm not saying whether you should be happy or not, just offering an explanation to maximise any further investment value.

It's a great car, good luck everyone, hope this helps. Just don't get your hopes up beyond getting a great car at the event!
Thanks for spending the time for posting; very informative and much appreciated. Another dissertation almost 😅

Shame about the USB-C’a not working. But fantastic to hear your expert review on the glass and acoustics 👍🏻

Reactions: acoustonaut
Just got home from Bristol delivery and read through this so far. Offering my summary here, going into a bit more detail where I can hopefully add a bit of definitive value given my automotive development background.

I was picking up 2 MY's today and I will start by saying that they are both very solidly built, no squeaks and rattles, no panel gap issues (large but consistent, so OK) and I AM VERY HAPPY at this stage. Everything else here that sounds like moans is just critique, with me having assessed 100's of cars through the years for all aspects, but particularly for Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) and Audio and Infotainment. I am happy because THE CARS ARE GREAT!

Event:
The event was a non-event and Tesla made a gaff by calling it a Delivery Event and telling me on the phone there would be swag and cool other stuff presumably to tempt us to take a 71 plate rather than wait 2 weeks. I was told it would be "spectacular." Not cool Tesla, not cool. That said, if the cars had be badly built and the event amazing, that would have been far, far worse. So overall, good. (Tesla have an exceptional control over their operating costs and today we saw why other car companies only make 5% operating margin and Tesla make about 18% - They spent £50 on Jaffa cakes!) So overall, the right balance, first world problems. TAKE UMBRELLAS THIS WEEK BECAUSE CARS ARE ALL OUTSIDE!

OK the car info:
Weirdly my blue car has the paint protection film in front of the rear wheels and my black car doesn't?!?!
Neither car has any of the Type C USB ports working. This will be a service fix, until then, wireless charging or 12V socket through an adaptor only. (The sockets are there but not the printed circuit boards behind them. (THIS WAS NOT STATED TO US TODAY.)
No parcel shelves, no ledges for them, the Ali express third party part is the way to go as it has the additive side mouldings included.
Can't really comment on the paint finish as its just been too wet, not too worried about this, Shanghai doesn't have the old paint shop like Fremont, so I'm not expecting issues.
2021 software as delivered was reliable, but I am only downloading 2022 software now I'm back on WIFI.
Side glass, I think I can clear this up for everyone - Yes it has laminated side glass fitted front and rear. (This is what some people call double glazing.) So, YES we have the new uprated rear glass to compliment the front glass already changed a couple of years ago. BUT, This laminated glass (poly-vinyl bonded or PVB) does not look to me to be acoustic PVB, just ordinary PVB. (acoustic PVB normally has an ear symbol on the markings or the word acoustic. Basically this normal PVB offers about half the benefit of acoustic PVB (at around half the cost) but to my tuned ears it has done the job well on this vehicle. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by how good this car was. For anyone still reading at this point, the parcel shelf would provide SOME benefit, but not much. There was no dominating higher frequency openness coming from the rear, but some mid frequency that was inoffensive to me. (Would be of more benefit to rear passengers, obviously.) The mid frequency from the rear would have me treating the rear tub with damping and some felt below that trim. If I were tasked with making that car quieter tomorrow I would be heading straight to the second set of door seals sold on ali express to give the greatest benefit, as without doing this, any other money spent on a parcel shelf or otherwise would offer little benefit. I will be living with the car as it is for a while before making any mods, as I find it to be that good. Wind noise was good, road noise was good, biggest niggle beinng the very audible whines when the vehicle starts pre-conditioning for super-charging. That said, all opinions will be different and fall within a bell curve as at least 50% of acoustics is psychoacoustics and brains are highly subjective and variable. My dissertation for my degree many years ago was actually on subjective responses to vehicle noise, so I know we will all hear whatever we hear, and be valid opinions! Therefore I'm not saying whether you should be happy or not, just offering an explanation to maximise any further investment value.

It's a great car, good luck everyone, hope this helps. Just don't get your hopes up beyond getting a great car at the event!
That’s for taking the time to write this up!
If you go for the second door seals, would love to hear your experience if you have time!

Event:

OK the car info:

Thank you for this truthful and positive summary of the car. I was beginning to feel negative having read the different comments.... however, I am now really looking forward to getting the car next month!

This cloud has a silver lining (so I’m going to stop moaning and be man enough to stand corrected):

As someone who was(is still a bit to be honest…but sucking it in) annoyed at the lack of the parcel shelf and still not convinced that the rear is true double glazing like the front (because it isn’t) I can confirm that it appears the cars with the parcel shelf in Hong Kong don’t have rear “double glazing” or heated window wipers.

This is therefore a “WIN” for me as I can (have) purchased a 3rd party parcel shelf for £60 but wouldn’t be able to purchase or upgrade the rear windows or wipers on the car.

Note: Oh and if they come with the mud flaps and rear protection that will actually nullify the cost implication of the parcel shelf for me so it’s now all good.

So happy (as long as it doesn’t rattle!!) and excited again to be picking up the car on Saturday.

Attachments

• 117B9791-3550-42BB-B97E-36714313557C.png
    117B9791-3550-42BB-B97E-36714313557C.png
    971.1 KB · Views: 86
This cloud has a silver lining (so I’m going to stop moaning and be man enough to stand corrected):

As someone who was(is still a bit to be honest…but sucking it in) annoyed at the lack of the parcel shelf and still not convinced that the rear is true double glazing like the front (because it isn’t) I can confirm that it appears the cars with the parcel shelf in Hong Kong don’t have rear “double glazing” or heated window wipers.

This is therefore a “WIN” for me as I can (have) purchased a 3rd party parcel shelf for £60 but wouldn’t be able to purchase or upgrade the rear windows or wipers on the car.

Note: Oh and if they come with the mud flaps and rear protection that will actually nullify the cost implication of the parcel shelf for me so it’s now all good.

So happy (as long as it doesn’t rattle!!) and excited again to be picking up the car on Saturday.
I have been playing around a bit - I have the 20” and I really love them - I don’t feel it is worse than my X5 with runflats. Road noise is also similar to driving the X5 M50 - the engine was so soundproofed internally.

The interior and build is all really high quality the only rattle I hear is the car seats for kids. Exterior had minor paint scuff on driver side rear wing - but not scratches just looks like someone brushed past it.

I haven’t checked the usb-c I will have to dig out a cable and check - only ever see using the rear ones for kids as the wireless charging works fine!

The only snag I had was Spotify just said connecting without any sign in prompt. Found a YouTube video basically changed the display language from English UK to English and it worked.

I don’t hear any noise from the lack of parcel shelf, and I loved the storage back there for shopping! 😂

Super happy with the car

Do you have a link to this parcel shelf?
The one purchased is the same as this (sold out now)

£57.25 60% Off | Rear Trunk Cargo Cover For Tesla Model Y 2019-2021 Shutter Retractable Luggage Carrier Security Partition Shield Car Accessories

Similar one reviewed on YouTube - doesn’t cover the rear speakers.

Reactions: s7gpt
I have been playing around a bit - I have the 20” and I really love them - I don’t feel it is worse than my X5 with runflats. Road noise is also similar to driving the X5 M50 - the engine was so soundproofed internally.

The interior and build is all really high quality the only rattle I hear is the car seats for kids. Exterior had minor paint scuff on driver side rear wing - but not scratches just looks like someone brushed past it.

I haven’t checked the usb-c I will have to dig out a cable and check - only ever see using the rear ones for kids as the wireless charging works fine!

The only snag I had was Spotify just said connecting without any sign in prompt. Found a YouTube video basically changed the display language from English UK to English and it worked.

I don’t hear any noise from the lack of parcel shelf, and I loved the storage back there for shopping! 😂

Super happy with the car
Would you mind confirming if the tow bar is in place and the missing part of the Tesla bespoke towball ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 10.03.54.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 10.03.54.png
    595.7 KB · Views: 40