Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's important to differentiate between brokers and funders when discussing this. The big funders (who provide deals to the hundreds of lease brokers out there) placed thousands of preorders, with delivery constraints. Probably hire companies too. Tesla want to deliver large numbers of cars, the funders want those cars out making money for them asap.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, or that there is a 'bias', but Tesla are acting like you should expect a business to act. They're not your friend.

Buying a car in it's first quarter of release is always slightly risky in one way or another. Add onto that all of the economic and supply strains the world is dealing with right now and you have a perfect storm for potential disappointment really.

When funders place large pre-orders for vehicles, they often negotiate preferential rates, and they often agree "penalties" for the manufacturer for late deliveries. With that in mind, my guess would be that Tesla are divvying up vast numbers of cars and splitting them up for these corporate customers and end user customers in a way that they think protects them from financial penalty, without pissing off too many of us. Sometimes that works out for us, sometimes not.
Given Tesla wouldn't give any sort of discount to Hertz when they ordered 100,000 vehicles they will be giving exactly zero discount and have exactly zero financial penalty for the block orders to lease companies - the fact that Tesla give no discounts is precisely the reason you can simply transfer an existing RN to a lease company with a Tesla order - that is simply not possible with any other manufacturer because the lease companies get discounts on their orders which are figured in to the prices they quote you for lease vehicles

Reactions: rnbetsy
Yeah, I'd be really interested in this too - don't suppose you have a before and after pics?? 👍
You’ll see the driver door trim slightly raised. Hard to capture on the cam but noticeable when you directly and compare to passenger side door. Also noticeable when you see back through side mirror when driving. I’ll attach a pic hope it helps.
C300805B-B32E-4E3A-9941-690D4399252E.jpeg
8A4E63C5-572F-4615-AAD9-AE422E15DC24.jpeg

Did you get your delivery? I've had the same AnyVan text message about my car delivery tomorrow.
Got it in the end at about 19:00. Chap who delivered said that the courier originally booked pulled out and so he wasn’t contacted until 14:00 to do the job.

Hopefully your experience will be better but in all honesty, I’ve pretty much forgotten about it now I have the car haha.

Given Tesla wouldn't give any sort of discount to Hertz when they ordered 100,000 vehicles they will be giving exactly zero discount and have exactly zero financial penalty for the block orders to lease companies - the fact that Tesla give no discounts is precisely the reason you can simply transfer an existing RN to a lease company with a Tesla order - that is simply not possible with any other manufacturer because the lease companies get discounts on their orders which are figured in to the prices they quote you for lease vehicles
Maybe you’re right but maybe hertz is hertz and funders are funders. Can we speak absolutes when none of us work for Tesla? You seem to be making out you know for absolutely certain, which you can’t… unless you work for Tesla and are divulging company secrets? Lol.

With RN’s being transferable, that’s conflating stock that funders already have, as in actual vehicles that have been delivered, with new, individual orders for which the funder becomes the owner. Which is totally different. I certainly haven’t suggested discounts are available for that, because why would they be, there is no leverage there.

Personally I’m still inclined to believe based on what I’ve been told and what I’ve seen, that some funders who placed big orders last year got some sort of deal sweetener. Just my two cents and I’ll leave it at that because I don’t want to stay off topic 😂🤷‍♂️

NB: Hertz could also have had some sort of deal sweetener that doesn’t stop Elon from legally saying no “discount” was given. That’s just business. Maybe I need to take my tin foil hat off but let’s not go there as I don’t want to open Pandora’s box!

Got it in the end at about 19:00. Chap who delivered said that the courier originally booked pulled out and so he wasn’t contacted until 14:00 to do the job.

Hopefully your experience will be better but in all honesty, I’ve pretty much forgotten about it now I have the car haha.
Good news.

Did the delivery chap do any sort of handover? or was it a case of here's the car and good luck.

Direct customer...fully paid up... collecting next Wednesday... hoping to see registration earlier so that I can notify the insurance company beforehand.
Tesla state they register on the day of collection. In reality it is often the day before. You need to phone your insurance company and tell them the make/model as they won't be able to look it up on their database.

Reactions: JudgeJi
Maybe you’re right but maybe hertz is hertz and funders are funders. Can we speak absolutes when none of us work for Tesla? You seem to be making out you know for absolutely certain, which you can’t… unless you work for Tesla and are divulging company secrets? Lol.

With RN’s being transferable, that’s conflating stock that funders already have, as in actual vehicles that have been delivered, with new, individual orders for which the funder becomes the owner. Which is totally different. I certainly haven’t suggested discounts are available for that, because why would they be, there is no leverage there.

Personally I’m still inclined to believe based on what I’ve been told and what I’ve seen, that some funders who placed big orders last year got some sort of deal sweetener. Just my two cents and I’ll leave it at that because I don’t want to stay off topic 😂🤷‍♂️

NB: Hertz could also have had some sort of deal sweetener that doesn’t stop Elon from legally saying no “discount” was given. That’s just business. Maybe I need to take my tin foil hat off but let’s not go there as I don’t want to open Pandora’s box!
Well let me let you in on more information I have - I actually work (and have done for 20 years) writing software for the fleet industry so have a very good idea how their back ends work for ordering vehicles.

You are actually confusing things here - there are funders (and these are often big banks e.g. Societe General in the case of ALD who also happen to own ALD) who simply provide the money to contract hire companies, they don't get involved in buying the vehicles. And then there are the contract hire companies (the likes of ALD, Zenith, Tuskers etc) who are the ones buying the vehicles. There are also some contract hire companies who are part of a big group that also produces vehicles and fund their vehicles but also offers other manufacturers vehicles - Alphabet (owned by BMW and the reason Google couldn't get the Alphabet.com domain when they decided to call their parent company Alphabet).

I'm not sure why you believe a random person at a contract hire company saying 'they got a discount which is why they are offering a better rate' as being anything other than marketing bull - afterall why would any manufacturer in the current climate offer a discount on a brand new model - never mind Tesla?

Reactions: Tameautumn
Well let me let you in on more information I have - I actually work (and have done for 20 years) writing software for the fleet industry so have a very good idea how their back ends work for ordering vehicles.

You are actually confusing things here - there are funders (and these are often big banks e.g. Societe General in the case of ALD who also happen to own ALD) who simply provide the money to contract hire companies, they don't get involved in buying the vehicles. And then there are the contract hire companies (the likes of ALD, Zenith, Tuskers etc) who are the ones buying the vehicles. There are also some contract hire companies who are part of a big group that also produces vehicles and fund their vehicles but also offers other manufacturers vehicles - Alphabet (owned by BMW and the reason Google couldn't get the Alphabet.com domain when they decided to call their parent company Alphabet).

I'm not sure why you believe a random person at a contract hire company saying 'they got a discount which is why they are offering a better rate' as being anything other than marketing bull - afterall why would any manufacturer in the current climate offer a discount on a brand new model - never mind Tesla?
Nice one. Doing circles… but pretty sure I’m not confusing things as I actually do work in that specific industry too. 😅

Picked my Y up today. I'm very happy with it, worth the wait.

Ride is firm and at times a little fidgety IMO and thats on 19s, but I am a cantankerous fusspot. This would be a fantastic car on air suspension. It does feel like a car that you could throw about and of course it has to be setup to handle that with its performance. It's not the type of car you'd want to throw around though at least IMO.

Very easy car to drive. Good visibility. Vs the M3, I much prefer the access, seating and exterior looks.

I never thought I would say this but it seems plenty quick enough in standard form. Maybe I'll get bored and want the boost in a week though 🤔