Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla most likely will not have a better product than the competition

The competition is catching up and quickly

I've been hearing both those for years. Even Musk said originally that he expected to go bust once he had shifted the industry to EVs and then the might of established-auto overtook him. But repeatedly the competition has done the equivalent of your best mate passing you the ball two yards from the line ...

I'm surprised how they have managed to innovate so much, and that the competition has not overtaken them already. No indicator that Tesla will continue to outpace the competition ... but I wouldn't bet against them.

their only unique selling points

I reckon there is lots more than you list.

YouTube / NetFlix and gawd knows what is lined up next. Monthly subscription ... that must be generating some income, and adding more features will convert some non-subscribers once a must-have becomes available. And maybe new Punters too.

Tech. Things like preheat when navigating to supercharger to speed up charging. At a stroke improved charging times (converts more ICE drivers) and frees up stalls sooner which eases congestion - and on arrival the car can accept more amps so more electricity sold in shorter period of time. Ker-ching! That was a recent OTA as was side-indicator mini-movie for blindspot.

Even fart mode. Sure no one is going to buy Tesla just for that, but I can't see VW adding that ... Light Show, BoomBox, even just a soothing fireplace etc. But Tesla keep rolling them out and they remind users of the speed of Tesla Tech change, and maybe that influences punters to stay as repeat customers - or make them jealous (to return) if they leave. I didn't study psychology, so I may be imagining that ...

Actually the whole OTA thing. Recent update improved the airbag deployment in accident (and airbags not to set off, which may reduce insurance cost in time), based on collected data. Back in the day, Volvo was the brand that people bought for safety ... and they had to buy a new one to get the latest improvements. Now its an OTA. My understanding is that other brands have not figured out how to do Firmware OTA other than for Infotainment. What is available is back-to-dealer.

Data and Connectivity. I heard a bang trogging along dual carriageway at 70MPH, nothing apparently wrong ... phoned support "I wonder if maybe a fuse blew?" .... click-click-click on a keyboard and "No Sir, all your fuses are fine". Has competition built in that sort of data tracking? TeslaFi shows me whether the rear left seat heater has been on, for every minute since I owned my first Tesla.

Each time I read of Tesla Killer in the press the innovation of Tesla then overtook them. Maybe Tesla were deliberately keeping some stuff in reserve, just for that occasion, in which case they will run out of stuff eventually. Or maybe they attract best talent, and as such will keep figuring stuff out ahead of the completion. For sure established-auto has all the headache of integration because their model has been to outsource ... that's a challenging change to reverse.

Time will tell ...

however most of these aren’t as visible to someone making a buying decision as the Supercharger network is.

Might influence repeat-purchase though. Seems to still be a steady stream of "Had a go in my mate's and bought one". Back in 2015 when I got my first one it was "Don't take a test drive unless you are in a position to have one"

Does any one know why I am losing miles so rapidly while being parked ? I was at 294 miles when I parked , drove just 2miles and today I am at 243 !
Sentry mode alone cannot be draining this much juice for sure !
You could install a trial of TeslaFi which would enable you to see the rate of range-loss, how much was parasitic, and what was "on" (e.g. in case you have Climate on at some point, rather than Sentry mode)

Using a referral will increase trial from 2 weeks to a month. You can use my username if you don't have a better offer.

Picked up mine from TC last friday and just got it back from the garage after having the wheels done. After mulling over the Gemini, Induction, rimetrix conundrum i stuck with the Gemini and had them powder coated in satin black. Delighted with the results for a lot less than the inductions and not that much more than the Rimetrix.

View attachment 778499

Looks fabulous. How much did it cost to get the Gemini wheels powder-coated?

I've been hearing both those for years. Even Musk said originally that he expected to go bust once he had shifted the industry to EVs and then the might of established-auto overtook him. But repeatedly the competition has done the equivalent of your best mate passing you the ball two yards from the line ...

I'm surprised how they have managed to innovate so much, and that the competition has not overtaken them already. No indicator that Tesla will continue to outpace the competition ... but I wouldn't bet against them.

YouTube / NetFlix and gawd knows what is lined up next. Monthly subscription ... that must be generating some income, and adding more features will convert some non-subscribers once a must-have becomes available. And maybe new Punters too.

Tech. Things like preheat when navigating to supercharger to speed up charging. At a stroke improved charging times (converts more ICE drivers) and frees up stalls sooner which eases congestion - and on arrival the car can accept more amps so more electricity sold in shorter period of time. Ker-ching! That was a recent OTA as was side-indicator mini-movie for blindspot.

Even fart mode. Sure no one is going to buy Tesla just for that, but I can't see VW adding that ... Light Show, BoomBox, even just a soothing fireplace etc. But Tesla keep rolling them out and they remind users of the speed of Tesla Tech change, and maybe that influences punters to stay as repeat customers - or make them jealous (to return) if they leave. I didn't study psychology, so I may be imagining that ...

Actually the whole OTA thing. Recent update improved the airbag deployment in accident (and airbags not to set off, which may reduce insurance cost in time), based on collected data. Back in the day, Volvo was the brand that people bought for safety ... and they had to buy a new one to get the latest improvements. Now its an OTA. My understanding is that other brands have not figured out how to do Firmware OTA other than for Infotainment. What is available is back-to-dealer.

Data and Connectivity. I heard a bang trogging along dual carriageway at 70MPH, nothing apparently wrong ... phoned support "I wonder if maybe a fuse blew?" .... click-click-click on a keyboard and "No Sir, all your fuses are fine". Has competition built in that sort of data tracking? TeslaFi shows me whether the rear left seat heater has been on, for every minute since I owned my first Tesla.

Each time I read of Tesla Killer in the press the innovation of Tesla then overtook them. Maybe Tesla were deliberately keeping some stuff in reserve, just for that occasion, in which case they will run out of stuff eventually. Or maybe they attract best talent, and as such will keep figuring stuff out ahead of the completion. For sure established-auto has all the headache of integration because their model has been to outsource ... that's a challenging change to reverse.

Time will tell ...

Might influence repeat-purchase though. Seems to still be a steady stream of "Had a go in my mate's and bought one". Back in 2015 when I got my first one it was "Don't take a test drive unless you are in a position to have one"
That’s exactly what happened to me. Had a go in a mates…

Anyone with 20” Uber wheels thinking of getting AlloyGators installed to prevent kerb rash?
Do you mean induction wheels?

I’ve got Alloygators on my M3 18” wheels, they have saved them a few times when I first got the car and was getting used to the dimensions of the car, and not having the birds eye camera view my X3 had!

Some people on here have said they can ruin the wheels because they trap water and grit against the wheel, so I might not fit them again.

So Modely Y headlights, anyone else finding them rather odd? I feel mine are projecting an 8 bit computer game in front on the car.
Haven't managed to take a picture but basically it's streaky and random blocks across the top line and sides with absolutely zero lighting to the left and right of the car (only lights up roughly 20 degrees either side of dead ahead)
Have had a play with adjustments but no good and dipped or full beam both similar narrow-angle, how does anyone else feel about the headlights?

Granted I'm coming from 2019 model 3 so I know they changed but mine don't feel right.

Time will tell ...

100%. Big ship vs. Nimble yacht analogy applies here. The automotive giants will throw money at the problem but until they fundamentally change the way they work internally, their products won’t keep up with the pace of change set by the likes of Tesla and Lucid.

Been said a million times before but Tesla is a data company as much as a vehicle manufacturer. That and supercharging is why they’re worth so much - the cherry on top of making great cars.

Got my MY mats today from Di Yi Ming on Amazon. Got the full set including boot, frunk etc. Pretty pleased with them.

Attachments

• 2B1674B4-4AFC-4272-9200-E259B719EB3D.jpeg
    2B1674B4-4AFC-4272-9200-E259B719EB3D.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 93
  • AFC6893C-3C7C-4C83-BB80-F8A5A6F6431C.jpeg
    AFC6893C-3C7C-4C83-BB80-F8A5A6F6431C.jpeg
    1,024 KB · Views: 48