Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sat on the Tesla Hub car park in Staines

* Turned up 90 minutes early. No trouble.
* Walk in, show drivers license.
* Sign an iPad
* Get given row number (4A in my case)
* Cars are parked close together, I had to squeeze in through the passenger side. I am a patented Fat Lad though, so YMMV
* Car prep was flawless except for 3 bubbles and trapped grit under the NSR PPF.
* UMC and Type 2 public cable present and correct.
* Parcel shelf present and correct.
* 51% charge 😀
* 6 miles on the odometer
* App linking worked flawlessly I had full app control of the car within 5 minutes of signing the iPad. Note I had to quit/restart the app to make it appear though.
* Car itself was similarly flawless. Build quality appears absolutely perfect after a 1h inspection. I’m not blaming China for the PPF.
* Staff friendly, helpful, plenty of them.
* There’s a toilet on-site which is clean and well maintained (SWMBO is disabled; this matters more than you’d think so thought I’d mention in case it helps others who might be anxious)

Had I not been over cautious on the collection checklist I could have been in and out in 10 minutes flat. As it was I got everything done in detail in 45 minutes.

Am now on my way home. Few pics follow!View attachment 820861View attachment 820862
View attachment 820863
Hey guys... what is that PPF that I'm hearing all about??... where exactly (photos if poss) is it so I'd know where to look when I collect this coming week?.. thanks...

Reactions: Moorman
Hey guys... what is that PPF that I'm hearing all about??... where exactly (photos if poss) is it so I'd know where to look when I collect this coming week?.. thanks...
There's PPF paint protection in front of the rear wheel arches ... that - it seems - may be fitted at the elivery locations ... that if fitted in a hurry might get left with bubbles underneath it.

pHD - welcome to the roller coaster. I’m also NI. As you can see, I booked a month or so earlier so have had more time to digest the chat on EDD’s. Here is my interpretation:

The EDD ‘system’ seems more geared to the likes of the US where cars can roll off the line and onto a transporter to customers in a steady stream. For us, cars are currently MiC (Made in China) so are shipped in large batches (up to 6,500) to Southampton. From there distributed to hubs for collection - Belfast for us. There may be 2-3 shipments per Q. MiG is coming on line for M3P so that will be different.

Tesla is geared to delivering/selling cars in the same financial quarter as they are manufactured - Q1 ending end Mar. The next UK batch therefore likely start manufacture in July with a shipload ready, say, mid July. 30 days shipping [follow shipping thread] would suggest Southampton mid-Aug earliest. Any shipments will aim to arrive latest mid Sept to be handed over/sold by end Q3 - end Sept. For us therefore, either ignore EDD or try and interpret it into ‘late Q3’ [September] (with a chance of late Aug) or ‘late Q4’ [December] (maybe late Nov). Tesla switch to supplying local [China] market mid Q so they can roll off the line to customers by the Q end.

Finally, do not expect any interim communication from Tesla. The next thing you will get is your VIN once a car is allocated to you - probably a week or so after the ship leave Shanghai; later if you get a cancellation.

Stay sane..
Thanks for the confirmation! I was thinking it'd be something like that, I'm expecting Q4, but hoping for Q3 🤞

It's a race now to see what arrives first, the MY or the Northern Ireland superchargers 😂

Hopefully see you in Belfast in Q3!

Reactions: RCMY
One quick screenshot from that video of what I had in mind, like the aerocaps on my current M3 the hubcaps are coming straight off...I will sacrifice a bit of range to not have the car look rubbish (imo)
View attachment 821248

That looks good to me!
According to a test between all different wheel configs, including hub caps on vs off, running with them off causes about 2% range loss, approx 7 miles max over the 100% battery.

On a long journey, its about 3-4 miles max, its not worth thinking about every again its so irrelevant.

I'll be power coating mine as I agree, this picture does look good. I wanted the 19's as this will be for my wife and will be the family car as such so I wanted the best possible ride and less stress with curbing wheels. Also, I do agree the 20's look better, I might buy a spare set of 20's when they start popping up for sale. This is a lease car so saw absolutely no point paying for someone else's upgrade and BIK. I can sell the wheel set after.

My Model S on 21's is messed up after years of curbing. Plus a softer ride would be nice.

Reactions: BATMOBILE786
And the M3 wheels look even better than the Y wheels without caps. I wish they had made the Y wheels dark grey as standard like the aeros.
The only thing I’d add to this is that I think the standard Gemini aero covers on the Model Y look rather more convincing “in the flesh” than they do in pictures or on video. I am, however, at a loss to explain why.

For me it’s kind of the opposite of the IONIQ 5. I think that vehicle looks great in pictures but having seen several on the road it’s basically a biscuit tin on wheels “in the metal”.

So for those regretting their choice of Geminis, see if they grow on you. And no offence intended to IONIQ 5 drivers either, this is all personal opinion!

That's a beautiful looking car. Almost went for that exact spec! But opted for red instead.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the ride, because I'll be coming from a GLA AMG Line. Oxfordshire roads for me too (someone else above has commented on just how tragic they are). GLA has a firm ride. Tested a Y on 19s, and that felt okay and quite similar.
Hi mate.

I’ve found the ride quality on great/average condition roads to be absolutely fine, no issues with it whatsoever.

On the very shitty, bumpy roads where you can actually see how bad a condition the road is in, you can feel it firm but nothing outrageous. I’ve been showing it off to some friends and family and not one person has commented on a bumpy ride!

I had a GLA before the GLC, from memory the ride of the Y on the 20”s is only minutely firmer than that of the GLA.

Hope that puts your mind at ease, loving every minute of the Y so far!

Can i ask how you’re finding the ride? Still glad you went for the 20’s?
On the really rough, outrageously bad roads you can feel the firmness of the ride, however on average - great roads I haven’t found it to be an issue.

The firmness of the ride was always on my mind in the run up to collecting the car, however I don’t give it a second thought when driving the car which can only be a good sign.

Today’s “first Tesla” rural insight; our Model Y is a pigeon murder magnet.

The dimwit birdbrains clearly can’t hear it coming and you can almost see the shock when the turn round in the road to see Barry bearing down on them.

If the pigeons are like this, imagine how bad the pheasants are going to be 🤦‍♂️

Today’s “first Tesla” rural insight; our Model Y is a pigeon murder magnet.

The dimwit birdbrains clearly can’t hear it coming and you can almost see the shock when the turn round in the road to see Barry bearing down on them.

If the pigeons are like this, imagine how bad the pheasants are going to be 🤦‍♂️
Pensioners are more fun, they do make a bigger mess though.....

On the really rough, outrageously bad roads you can feel the firmness of the ride, however on average - great roads I haven’t found it to be an issue.

The firmness of the ride was always on my mind in the run up to collecting the car, however I don’t give it a second thought when driving the car which can only be a good sign.
Appreciate your feedback. Think i can stop stressing and start thinking about all the accessories i dont need but want to get now 😃