Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - UK estimated dates and pricing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling that the Model Y might run smack into the £50k price jump bracket, where a car costing £49,999 costs £3k less than a car costing £50,001 (RRP, before the PICG).

We're already seeing this with the Model 3 P being artificially more expensive than the Model 3 LR, because one gets the PICG and the other doesn't. Ford have hit the same issue with the Mustang Mach E pricing, where the AWD version ends up costing a disproportionately higher amount than the RWD extended range version, as it goes over the £50k threshold.

I think the SR will come in comfortably under £50k and the LR will be well over, more like £55k min

Reactions: moj66
...I also like the ultra-low dash in the M3, which kind of creates it's own panoramic effect, except lower down toward the road. ... Surprisingly, my family actually prefer the back seats in the M3 and the glass roof. The back of the MX feels more closed in with the smaller recessed roof windows and dark headlining. That was something I hadn't really considered. On that basis, the MY could be an ideal compromise for us, but have to see how it goes next year. First World choices for sure!

The Taycan doesn't really interest me. It's neither sporty enough or practical enough for my taste and very expensive. I would be more interested in the EV Macan vs MY next year.

The X does feel a bit closed-in in the back. But the front - so nice!

Absolutely agree on the Model 3 'panoramic effect'. Looking out of the front of my Model S is similar to how your BMW sounds - great view, but not 'open'. Whereas my SO's Model 3 has an openness into the outside with the low dash, the shorter bonnet, and the steeper windshield: it is nice! The glass roof is also easier to look out of (when stationary) than in the Model S.

I'm hoping that the Model Y will be available for delivery in the UK next February/March. No idea what's been announced. If it won't be then I'm planning on another Model S.

The X does feel a bit closed-in in the back. But the front - so nice!

Absolutely agree on the Model 3 'panoramic effect'. Looking out of the front of my Model S is similar to how your BMW sounds - great view, but not 'open'. Whereas my SO's Model 3 has an openness into the outside with the low dash, the shorter bonnet, and the steeper windshield: it is nice! The glass roof is also easier to look out of (when stationary) than in the Model S.

I'm hoping that the Model Y will be available for delivery in the UK next February/March. No idea what's been announced. If it won't be then I'm planning on another Model S.

I’m also counting on the MY being available in Feb/March next year. I’ll be sad to part with my MX, but I think the MY will probably be a good alternative for us at a much lower price. What I would really like to see is an all new MX, but with the refresh I expect that will be a couple of years away, presuming they even replace it.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I’d of hoped Berlin will eventually see a fall in the price of M3 SR+ As it reduces costs by around 12k euro per car . In the US the model 3 now retails for like $37k which is £28k. Then a Y in US SR+ is $40k.
I’d be hoping to pick up a new Y for around £40k max but not immediately. I’m after the 7 seater

The bean counters are unlikely to pass on the lower manufacturing cost to the customer. Certainly not when the perceived value of the car is higher. Just means a higher profit margin.

Thats not the point....

The manufacturing efficiencies will come to M3 once Berlin is up, it will then cost the same or less than MY to make and the costs will come down.

I also don't think Tesla is run by bean counters yet.

I've read somewhere (think it was reddit) that somewhere Tesla has kept under a tax threshold but it was the M3 LW AWD and the MY LR RWD - they dropped the front motor to get the price down. I guess they may do the same here.

I don't think anyone really knows whether any anticipated manufacturing efficiencies in Germany (why would it be more efficient that Fremont), salary and supply chain differences, the relative costs of the newer battery technology, etc etc will transpire to it being more or less than Fremont, nor whether Tesla would pass that on to consumers anyway. Historically they have done it when demand has softened and they needed to generate sales.

Reactions: Alan J
I think if Tesla were particularly concerned about tax thresholds they would have sold the Performance as a LR/AWD (Performance base) to keep price under 50k and listed Performance upgrade as an option (which iirc do not fall under the 50k limit).

This would be similar to when the Performance was first released in UK when it was sold as Performance 'base' (which was same as LR/AWD plus software and alleged selected/binned rear motor) also known as P-/stealth and the Performance upgrade option (known as the PUP) adding the hardware differences such as brakes, wheels, lowering, spoiler etc

I suspect the PUP is very high profit relative to rest of the car so little incentive to return to listing it as an option.

I think if Tesla were particularly concerned about tax thresholds they would have sold the Performance as a LR/AWD (Performance base) to keep price under 50k and listed Performance upgrade as an option (which iirc do not fall under the 50k limit).

On a scale of 1 to 10, how conserned is Tesla about incentives then?

I recon they would want their lowest priced Y to be within that bracket in any given country - if possible. Especially if its pretty close.

I think Model Y Long Range will be priced just under £50k to benefit from the government incentive, and model 3 will be reduced to be priced under the Y.

The UK is actually being fleeced at the moment. I think when the 3 was launched in the UK GBP/USD was about 1.25 and so a US M3LR price of $47k translates to the UK price of £47k fairly well ($47k/1.25 * 1.1 tariff * 1.2 VAT - £3k subsidy = £47kish).

However GBP/USD is now at 1.39, so a US price of $47k should equate to roughly £41.5k (or a bit more to allow for shipping costs). Personally I need to get a replacement for our Model S lease ending in Sept, but I'm holding out in the hope that Tesla normalizes those prices a bit. If the model Y arrives first then will probably go for that instead as the lack of tariff will make a big difference.

S.Korean market has it listed at just over 45k for the long range

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-15_14-42-46.png
    upload_2021-2-15_14-42-46.png
    523.6 KB · Views: 65
Moderator comment - thread merged with "Any ideas about Model Y price in the UK?"

Hi all

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere!

My current car lease (non tesla) is due to finish March 2022, and I'm keen to look into the Tesla option now going forward Currently we drive a SUV type car so after doing some research it appears the model Y could be a perfect choice for us.

However it appears its not expected to be available in the UK until 2022, which might rule it out for us. Does anyone have any timescales for this car, and rough estimate of price?

Many thanks in advance
Matt Perkins

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice and good luck :)

Many in this parish would be thrilled to know the same. You'll discover that this group goes to the extent of tracking car-carrying ships across the Atlantic.

All here were equally thrilled to know within weeks of delivery for cars currently in production :)

Best guess for MYs is keep an eye on the factory door!