Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - UK estimated dates and pricing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the the Plug in Car Grant now limited to sub £35k cars, anyone want to revise their price predictions on the Model Y.

Also with Tesla getting rid of the MY SR+ from the line up, that changes things too. I was thinking the MY SR+ would have a similar price to the M3 LR.

With this £50k PICG threshold no longer having an impact and no SR+ model, my guess is that the MY LR will have a list price of £57k with a U.K.

So with the the Plug in Car Grant now limited to sub £35k cars, anyone want to revise their price predictions on the Model Y.

Also with Tesla getting rid of the MY SR+ from the line up, that changes things too. I was thinking the MY SR+ would have a similar price to the M3 LR.

With this £50k PICG threshold no longer having an impact and no SR+ model, my guess is that the MY LR will have a list price of £57k with a U.K.
When the 3 launched it had zero competition. The MY will launch in Europe with the ID4 already established ahead of it. ID4 started at 38K but I assume that has gone up now and Grant will be gone or be even lower soon. Never the less there is a big gap between 41K and 57K. Do you think the market will bear that? Tesla may have to actually start competing.

When the 3 launched it had zero competition. The MY will launch in Europe with the ID4 already established ahead of it. ID4 started at 38K but I assume that has gone up now and Grant will be gone or be even lower soon. Never the less there is a big gap between 41K and 57K. Do you think the market will bear that? Tesla may have to actually start competing.

With the M3 LR now priced at £50k without the PICG. I think Model Y LR will start at least at £55k .

But given the tendency to overprice Teslas in the U.K. compared to other markets, and reflecting on the price comparisons at the top of this thread, I’m thinking that we will need a Model 3 price drop to see anything less than £55k for the Model Y in the U.K.

But you are right, this much needed competition may help with price. I still think we are a few years away from this impacting on price in the U.K.

Now that there is no incentive for cars over 35k and with the volume of cars produced in Giga Berlin covering all Europe I doubt that we will see a great influx of Ys for the UK market production wise. Furthermore despite any production efficiencies and the elimination of Tariffs (which will happen only if batteries are also produced in Berlin); due to the increased production cost (materials, European salaries vs China etc) I doubt we will see Y below 55k bare minimum.
Regarding ID4 starting at 38k that is the small battery single motor version if I remember well; a section of the market where Y will not be available by the looks of it.

Furthermore and this is a personal thought; I dont think that Y will sell in big numbers in the UK. It will compete in the SUV market but it doesn't 'look or feel' like an SUV. I doubt that many soccer moms which look to be the majority of the SUV market at the moment will go for it.

ps. Bring a smaller cybertruck and I will go for it ;)

Furthermore and this is a personal thought; I dont think that Y will sell in big numbers in the UK. It will compete in the SUV market but it doesn't 'look or feel' like an SUV. I doubt that many soccer moms which look to be the majority of the SUV market at the moment will go for it.

If the Model Y has a weight + cargo limitation as severe as the Model 3, its likely to exclude itself from a large part of the SUV market too. I don't know what the limits are on the Model Y vs Model 3, but a Model 3 would exceed the weight limits of some of the loads encountered with a fully laden family staycation. If you averaged 80kg per occupant (4) including their baggage, by the time you have some bikes on the back you are potentially right on the weight limit.

10k between 3P and YP? I doubt it.

At that point new model X is only 20k away. With probably similar 0-60 times.

I recon once Berlin opens, prices will drop and MYP will be the same price as 3P now.

why not? There will be crazy demand for the Y. No doubt about it. Comparable with an etron, jag etc. Quicker and more range. Tesla have found their feet in the Uk and that means price rises

£60k for Kia! Yep £70k for a Y sounds about right

Last edited:
Moderator comment - thread merged from "UK Model Y orders/deliveries"

I am sure this has been asked a fair few times however I was wondering if anyone had any idea on when the Model Y will be available for the UK market? Im currently in a monthly car subscription scheme just waiting for any news on when the Model Y will be available to order with potential UK delivery dates? If anyone has any information that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to swap to a Model Y but when I asked Tesla UK they were unsure if these would come from China or Berlin. Either way I was informed 'expect sometime in 2022' but if from Berlin, they will focus on LHD first so a later launch for RHD.

I want to see at least two 'quarter' deliveries of the Model Y before placing an order just to be sure that potential quality issues are ironed out & initial customers are satisfied (both China and Germany are likely to exceed Tesla USA quality but that sets the bar fairly low anyway).

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I like my 2019 Tesla M3 very much but I have been looking forward to the opportunity to trade in for a MY, but if a faster cheaper similar range slightly smaller Kia EV6 arrives first, which looks likely, I will certainly look very closely. EV6 LR AWD v MY and EV6 GT v MYP.