Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reasons, I don't feel the Driven Vibe of Model 3.
I don't know... Whole presentation today just felt a bit "underwhelming." YMMV
Presentation was super boring. Car looks great. Which do you think matters more?
As Elon pointed out it is a different crowd. i.e. new people to Tesla in the past year or two need to understand the background.
People following Tesla since 200X obviously know most of what he said. Seemed smart to me. This is a big step. Mass market crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4 and Ulmo
They are combining reservation and configuration fees this time. When we reserved the 3 for $1000 another $1500 was due at configuration. I guess they can do that knowing exactly what the options are this time around building on the 3 platform. They also probably figure that most people looking at a car in this price range who can put down $1000 a couple years in advance wouldn't think twice about putting down $2500.

Porche Taycan deposit is $2500.

Thank you for the correction. I took "feature complete" to mean actual full self-driving -- which is what "FSD" literally means -- in production cars. But perhaps Elon meant it in a much more restricted way.

“Feature complete” means the car will at least attempt to do certain things. For instance, let’s look at “crossing an intersection”. So the car will certainly attempt to cross at least some intersections, but will likely fail to make a left turn in many cases.

So yeah, I will call it an alpha version. Elon calls current ‘Navigate on Autopilot’ as close to being ‘FSD at highway speeds’.

At the end of Zac and Jesse's test ride, someone tried to open the rear hatch from the outside and he was hastily stopped by a Tesla employee. Something tells me maybe that hatch either isn't functional or hasn't been finalized yet?

I think that may be very true. I think they decided to basically unveil it as a chunky Model 3. See what kind of response it gets and how many pre-orders come in. Then gradually release details (or maybe even new features currently not mentioned) to slowly sweeten the pot. Can't imagine they'll produce a car almost two years from now that is identical to Model 3 today, part-sharing or not - gotta do small improvements and updates here and there.

I mean they're not even going to have different rims? Hard to believe.

Model Y has Model 3 front seats on risers (compared to Model 3) so easier to get in and out. "Better visibility out."

The whole Model Y interior is moved up compared to Model 3.

In the Model Y there is more head room in front passenger seat than Model 3.

Model Y has no pillar above second row seat. Tesla learned a lot from pano roof from Model S and X.

Model Y has really tight handling compared to Model X during the slalom.

Regarding the optional third row seats in the Model Y, watch the videos, but you'll see that some of the comments are that they are not large.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:
  • Good thing Tesla decided not to shut down all their stores. I can't get my head around the interior dimensions. Especially the third row
  • Tesla's poor handling of the Model 3 line waiters and how little good it really did in the end, makes me:
    • Not want to put down 2.5x larger deposit
    • Need to wait to see the interior in person anyway
    • Find out where FSD goes this year, allowing me to get more info before configuring
  • Hate the gas savings baked in the pricing
  • Streamed event was SO devoid of details and didn't communicate the design of MY at all
  • IMO the pricing and timelines felt more realistic and accurate. Maybe Tesla is learning?
  • Maybe too expensive for me since I'm still paying for my M3....

Jalopnik got some photos of one of the display Model Ys, and I think I've identified the tires on that car as Continental ContiProContact 255/45R19s in 100V rating.

Note that this is a significantly larger tire than the 19" Model 3 option, which is 235/40R19 - 6.2%/41 mm larger diameter, 20 mm wider, etc., etc. I thought I noticed more sidewall in the configurator sample shots...

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Sad to say I felt the same way. Maybe I've seen too many Tesla "reveal" events, or maybe some of Elon's enthusiasm has evaporated. The tone of the event was more like "This is the latest version of the Model 3" instead of "Here is OUR NEW MODEL!!"

I think Elon is not a huge fan of the CUV body style, he's more of a sports car guy. With the X it was a "bet the company" move, they HAD to sell (and at a high price). The Model Y will pretty much sell itself given it's roominess, range, surprisingly good looks (for a CUV) and low price.

I'm actually more impressed than I thought I would be primarily due to two factors:

1) Cd of "around 0.23" if I recall correctly. That's how the RWD version maintains a 300 mile range (amazing for an EV of it's relative roominess and low price). I imagine the actual Cd will be closer to 0.24 but that's still a lot better than I thought.

2) It looks pretty sharp, not the beached whale I was expecting. edit: Now that I think about this some more, I think they will probably "puff" it out a little before the design is finalized to give it the room it needs to distinguish itself from the Model 3 a little more. This will probably bring it's Cd to .24 or .25 and reduce the real world range down around 275 miles, particularly if it's all highway. Unless of course they figure out how to give the battery more than 75kWh.

The option for a third row of seats also surprised me. Not something I want or need but many will like that.

This thing is going to sell a LOT when it becomes widely available. Unfortunately, that won't be until 2021.

Last edited:
Yinterior.jpg

Is this a serious question? I don't think there's a populated place on the entire NA Continent that has gas so cheap and electricity so expensive that it's not a considerable savings.
1. It depends on the gas car that you compare to. Fuel cost for a Prius is less than fuel cost for my Tesla where I live in NorCal (this assumes that I purchase electricity and gasoline... which I don't. But if I did....).
2. No, I'm not saving on gas, because I don't buy gas these days. This is my 5th Ev.

There is a large crowd of American, and increasingly European, families that shop for SUV space, AWD, ~ 9 inch clearance and a high driving position.

I can see that the Model Y has the first two. I'm unsure about the heights.

--
My other immediate thought is that this car is going to put severe pressure on Model X sales.

My other immediate thought is that this car is going to put severe pressure on Model X sales.
I wonder.... will the Y put more pressure on the X than the 3 is putting on the S?

For my money, I can't see purchasing an S when the 3 is available, nor the X when the Y is available. And yet the S has continued to sell... And of course I'm nowhere near your "average American car buyer."

1. It depends on the gas car that you compare to. Fuel cost for a Prius is less than fuel cost for my Tesla where I live in NorCal (this assumes that I purchase electricity and gasoline... which I don't. But if I did....).

You need to compare cars with like amounts of space and capabilities. I mean, a Prius takes almost 10 seconds to reach 60 mph (even the new 2019 AWD-e model with electric AWD! And it's a lot smaller than a Model Y. And it's only rated at 50 MPG combined. You can shoot me before you make me live with a Prius as my primary transport.

2. No, I'm not saving on gas, because I don't buy gas these days.

Excuse me. I meant saving on not having to buy gas (due to driving an EV). Why does it seem like it's difficult to communicate with you?

Reactions: mspohr