Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're going to be putting adults in the third row, the Model X might be for you, and the Model 3 won't be.

That said, with a squared off back end, a Cd of 0.30 would be doing good, and that would cause a considerable hit to range most likely. By "considerable", I mean, I wouldn't be surprised by, on a Dual Motor car, something on the order of 230 miles range.

OK, so playing with the configurator images in GIMP...

Wheelbase: 628.3 px for the Model Y, 614.8 px for the Model 3
Wheel diameter (front wheel, known to be 18"): 120.0 px for the Model Y, 124.8 px for the Model 3

So, some of the third row space? It's coming from longer wheelbase. I'd estimate 3060 mm or so, which actually makes it longer wheelbase than the Model X. (There is some room for significant error here, though, and small parallax shifts can create big errors.)

Playing with them some more, I must have introduced some of my own error.

Having scaled the Model Y's front wheel appropriately, I'm now getting 633.2 px wheelbase, which would imply 2966 mm... one mm more than the Model X. (And, there's still a lot of error possible in this method, so...)

This thing is definitely longer than a Model 3, no matter what...

And, also, here's some unibody structure images to compare:

Model 3:

model-3-hero-portrait.jpg

Model Y:

safety_hero-portrait%402.jpg

Last edited:
If you're going to be putting adults in the third row, the Model X might be for you, and the Model 3 won't be.

That said, with a squared off back end, a Cd of 0.30 would be doing good, and that would cause a considerable hit to range most likely. By "considerable", I mean, I wouldn't be surprised by, on a Dual Motor car, something on the order of 230 miles range.

Playing with them some more, I must have introduced some of my own error.

Having scaled the Model Y's front wheel appropriately, I'm now getting 633.2 px wheelbase, which would imply 2966 mm... one mm more than the Model X. (And, there's still a lot of error possible in this method, so...)

This thing is definitely longer than a Model 3, no matter what...

And, also, here's some unibody structure images to compare:

Model 3:

model-3-hero-portrait.jpg

Model Y:

safety_hero-portrait%402.jpg
Looks the same, only taller and more aztekky.

• Funny
Reactions: davedavedave
After Semi and Roadster unveil I thought Elon was pretty bad, but the Model Y unveil was the worst I have seen. It was just so horrible.

Started late by 25 minutes, talks for 30 minutes about history and other cars making off the cuff awkward jokes and then when the Y finally comes out, he's just like "Here's the Y" and stumbles through some specs and that's it. Not shots of the car except the front, which is ridiculous (I actually thought it was a 3), makes almost no point about 7 seats, they don't show the rear or profile at all and there is no walk through, he's then just "Yeah, there it is....". He even makes the range confusing by first saying EPA Rated, and then corrects himself with "usable 300 miles".

Cannot believe more people are not mentioning this, it could not have been worse unless they didn't bring the car on stage at all. He should get a CMO ASAP and let that guy do all public events. If he made one more joke about sex I was actually going to shut the stream down, he sounds like a 14 year old. One joke is funny and makes it kind of cool, after the 3rd it's just awkward and he sounds like your drunk friend.

-------Rant Over------

Very disappointing presentation. Elon did not seem excited about the Model Y, and did not convey much enthusiasm about it. It was on screen only briefly, and poorly lighted so that I could hardly see the car's outline. We got few details of the car. I would have been interested in more about its architecture -- is it on the Model 3 chassis as expected? Is it higher off the ground? Longer? How did they manage to get three rows of seats? Is the second row more spacious than Model 3's (I hope!!)?
I hope we get some reports from people who got to see and maybe sit in the car....

After Semi and Roadster unveil I thought Elon was pretty bad, but the Model Y unveil was the worst I have seen. It was just so horrible.

Started late by 25 minutes, talks for 30 minutes about history and other cars making off the cuff awkward jokes and then when the Y finally comes out, he's just like "Here's the Y" and stumbles through some specs and that's it. Not shots of the car except the front, which is ridiculous (I actually thought it was a 3), makes almost no point about 7 seats, they don't show the rear or profile at all and there is no walk through, he's then just "Yeah, there it is....". He even makes the range confusing by first saying EPA Rated, and then corrects himself with "usable 300 miles".

Cannot believe more people are not mentioning this, it could not have been worse unless they didn't bring the car on stage at all. He should get a CMO ASAP and let that guy do all public events. If he made one more joke about sex I was actually going to shut the stream down, he sounds like a 14 year old. One joke is funny and makes it kind of cool, after the 3rd it's just awkward and he sounds like your drunk friend.

-------Rant Over------

I couldn't agree more and had similar thoughts while watching that train wreck. And the reward for watching was to see a large Model 3 with no unique features other than its bigger and had a hatch (which we didn't see during the reveal anyway).

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I am not worried avout slope. I am more concerned with the aperture. I need an SUV big enough where I can stick my mother in law in the third row. At nearly 300 pounds, I am thinking the Model Y isn’t going to cut it.
Maybe wait for the Semi?

Sorry.

Watching some of the test rides... The glass is different than the Model 3. The entire top is a piece of a glass in the center. Instead of a huge windshield. It moves the pillar / crossbars (not sure of the correct term), so there is more head room for all.

At least, that's what I could see from about 2 seconds of ride video.
Where do you see these? I looked on YouTube and have not yet found any of the usual Tesla YouTubers showing Moel Y....

I am not worried avout slope. I am more concerned with the aperture. I need an SUV big enough where I can stick my mother in law in the third row. At nearly 300 pounds, I am thinking the Model Y isn’t going to cut it.

Not being able to fit a 300 pound person in the optional third row of a crossover based on the Model 3 is one of the crazier complaints I have ever heard anyone make about a Tesla. Did your 300 pound mother in law fit in the third row of your Leaf?

Why slope the back end so much?
The interior cutaway shot shows the 3rd row without headrests... probably not enough room? This communicates to me that it's really not adequate for an adult. I'm wondering if it's even legal to have an adult in that 3rd row without a headrest for whiplash protection in an accident? Interesting though that they had 6 adults get out of the car after it drove on stage... slightly clown-car-esque.

Reactions: Ocelot