Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it currently allows up to 85mph on a divided highway. It is limited to speed limit + 5 on other roads.

I do think they will eventually put a limit on the speed if it is ever to be manufacturer responsibility and not driver assist. Otherwise, big money maker for the local police departments.

I plan on extensively using the Tesla Network in the coming years and understanding the driving capabilities and limits of the car that picks you up is important.

The low resolution video from the stream made the blue one on stage look really lame.

About 3/4 of the way thru the presentation it occurred to me to click on the "YouTube" link and check at that site to see if a better resolution was available. Sure enough, the 720p was much, much better... the next up (1020p?) had occasional buffering issues.

But deep blue was the wrong color for a Reveal. It would have needed much, much more light to be appropriate for the event.

Anyone remember Elon saying that they'll be upgrading V2 superchargers to V3 during his "history lesson" when he was talking about supercharging? I think that's what he said, if so that's awesome!
Absolutely yes he said that. He said they will be upgrading existing SuperCharger sites to V3 as well as adding new V3 SuperChargers. Elon said they slowed down building out the SuperCharger network while still installing V2 so that as many as possible could be built at the V3 version rather than V2 after V3 came out.

Reactions: boaterva and OPRCE
I get it, but they dropped the MX RWD (never produced) for a reason. Extra complexity and most don't want a 2WD SUV. (How do you go off-road...I mean drive over a curb at the Mall).
In most fancy cars today, that would cause enormous damage. Curbs are death, to cars and people. I paid many thousands of dollars to repair my Model S after brushing on a curb once. I totaled my Mercedes once by driving in a driveway with a fairly normal looking drainage dip by going 10MPH instead of 5MPH. I've heard of accidents where curbs sent cars flying into pedestrians out of control of the driver and pedestrians, just because the curbs are the same color as the travelable part of the roadway. I think your statement about SUVs driving over curbs is wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: Snow Drift
Based on the pics now available on the Model Y page, pretty darn good looking design. Nice hatch back and it appears to have significantly more room than the 3. My wish though - Air spring option that can provide 2-3" of extra ground clearance when needed for moderate off-road/trail/snow use.

Reactions: darxsys
It looks much better from the back and with large black wheels. I love the the aeros on my 3 but they look absolutely ridiculous on the Y. That gap...
86A6CF4F-66B4-4A34-A33F-A9FBB8FAB9FD.jpeg

Reactions: gaswalla
I get it, but they dropped the MX RWD (never produced) for a reason. Extra complexity and most don't want a 2WD SUV. (How do you go off-road...I mean drive over a curb at the Mall).

At least 300k buyers per year will want a RWD Model Y.

That is why they are building it and at that scale it would be stupid not to make it.

Most crossovers in the USA are sold as front wheel drive.

This will be better with rear wheel drive with the mattress battery overhead with an extra 20 miles of range.

Reactions: homer214