Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Updates to Model 3. USB-C, Wireless Charging, Heat Pump ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Superbottle doesn’t have the compressor integrated into it...
Do links from the Model 3 parts catalogue work, if the reader has a Tesla account to long in under? https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47376

EDIT>> I guess not, so here's a screen cap:

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.23.45 AM.png

Last edited:
The heat pump in the model 3 is awaiting a bug fix, right now it only runs backwards. :p
It is a bit more extensive than just software ;) , but basically.

If you go through Section 18 of the parts manuals for both the Model 3 and Model Y, and compare and contrast, you can see the similarities [and differences].

EDIT: I also don't spot an obvious part of the Y as a back-up resistor based heating element, so they may have indeed been able to do away with it? Or it might just be integrated within #1 of the Heater Assembly, the HVAC Module Assembly. It would probably be easier to check in-person, and you'd need an orange line coming in to feed power for that.

EDIT2: Thinking about it, they might use the DU as the "back-up" but I think that'd require priority going to the battery pack before the cabin?

Last edited:
EDIT: I also don't spot an obvious part of the Y as a back-up resistor based heating element, so they might have been able to do away with it?

There is no HV heater for the cabin in the Model Y. There are two 12V heaters that can be used but I think they are mainly for the split temperature management. If you look at the Tesla patent for the heat pump you will see that they can run the fan and compressor in an inefficient method to generate heat, like they do with the drive units to heat the battery in the Model 3, so they don't need a separate heater.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
If you look at the Tesla patent for the heat pump you will see that they can run the fan and compressor in an inefficient method to generate heat, like they do with the drive units to heat the battery in the Model 3, so they don't need a separate heater.
Tesla also described the heat pump features in the Model Y EPA application. The relevant text is in this thread:

HVAC and heat pump innovations as described by Tesla

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
The Model 3 will get the Model Y heat pump and it will happen sooner than later, but that is still months off.

As far as all the "well technically" nonsense going on in this thread about if the Model 3 has a heat pump already; the layperson would define the cabin climate control as an AC and not a Heat Pump and calling the AC a heat pump because you have a BSME and it pumps heat is only confusing the situation. The current Model 3 uses resistive heating for the cabin, the Model Y doesn't, and the Model 3 will get what the Model Y has which will result in an increase in official range numbers and probably a bit of a price increase.

They just have to settle on which parts to share to optimize costing, source the materials in the era of Covid shutdowns, and make the change. I would put money on them having already figured out the cost optimized design changes and probable even already planned the changes to the production line. They probably have logistics nailed down too since it would just be more of the same stuff and their suppliers will be starting back up and ramping up. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens before Labor Day, but I also wouldn't be surprised if something comes up and it doesn't happen until Q1-2021. I would be absolutely shocked if Q1-2021 ended without Model 3s rolling off the line with heat pumps.

I'm a fan of heat pumps as much as anyone but people should realize that they also have trade-offs.

1. Low peak power
2. Limited useful temperature profile

Just because the heat pump did wonders on the EPA cycle does not mean it will do the same for any particular driver. It is a YMMV, and more importantly the climates that that are the most demanding in the Winter will see the least improvement. I live in a moderate-ly winter climate (10 - 30F for 4 months a year) and I'm really OK with pre-heating off the mains and then mostly relying on heat heating for comfort.

And now I return you all to your mostly ill-informed, pseudo-technical FOMO fest