Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y versus Ford Mustang Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biggest difference is that Model Y is in the marketplace right now and buyers can be aware of all it's strengths and weaknesses.

Mustang is not yet available, so only the strengths have been lauded by their marketing department. No real life reviews.

Those interested in a Model Y can get a free test ride at their friendly local Delivery center.

Mustang looks to be a great first effort by Ford to make an EV...but only time will tell if they got it right.

Every time I read one of these posts that says another manufacturer is creating a great electric car, I shake my head. Assuming you actually plan on driving your car, the supercharger network is what makes my Tesla actually usable. Level 2 AC charging is ridiculously slow - totally impractical for any kind of cross country driving. Yes there are many charging stations on networks like Electrify America, but as an EV owner you soon realize the vast majority of those charging stations are Level 2 which are essentially useless IMHO. Tesla's DC fast charging network, the Superchargers, is what makes Tesla a practical replacement for an ICE.

Yes you may be able to buy one of these other electric cars that are constantly announced (and ALWAYS show up very late or not at all), but the economics of buying an EV that can only be driven around town just don't work. So Ford announcing electric cars without announcing a worldwide DC fast charging network is cute, but since Ford (and all the others) is not investing in a DC fast charging worldwide network, it is just another ill-conceived me-too waste of a car. Until the big auto makers get their head out of the sand and invest in a worldwide DC fast charging network (or partner with Tesla on their superchargers), these announcements are nothing but hot air.

The first item on any comparison should be 'can I QUICKLY charge my car anywhere'. If the answer is no, then not much point IMHO.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
I'm not sure if it is really all that gloom and doom for non Tesla's anymore. Obviously I agree that the supercharger network is stall vastly superior to other DC fast charge networks, and it certainly makes it a great deal easier for long distance travel. But, according to plugshare filters to only display charging stations for CCS and over 120kw, there seems to be enough to make most road trips a possibility.

upload_2020-5-25_10-5-35.png

I'm not sure if it is really all that gloom and doom for non Tesla's anymore. Obviously I agree that the supercharger network is stall vastly superior to other DC fast charge networks, and it certainly makes it a great deal easier for long distance travel. But, according to plugshare filters to only display charging stations for CCS and over 120kw, there seems to be enough to make most road trips a possibility.

View attachment 544668

wow no ccs >120 charging at all in 4 very big states?

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude
My biggest concern would be that you're buying a brand new model in its inaugural year. Personally I wouldn't buy neither car in their first year of production. Now by 2021 you would hope that much of the issues the model Y had have been ironed out. I suspect that there will be the usual stealer markups over MSRP that is customary with Ford stealers with a "hot" model.
For me the supercharger network is a moot point because long distance travel is still a huge hassle with electric cars and just not worth it if you own and ICE car for your traveling and a 220v wall charger in the garage.

Go on Fords website under the "Map your own trip" and put in various road trips. Look closely at their recommended charging stations and notice that you can not make many trips without have serious difficulty and certainly not in a timely fashion. Click on each recommendation and see what type and speed each proposed charger will produce. In my area, and trying to travel to Michigan on my usual route, it was not possible to travel without having to use level 2 chargers for Mach E. Ford also lists many Electrify America chargers. I have personally found them to be unreliable in the past. I hope they become more reliable...

Last edited:
  • Love
My biggest concern would be that you're buying a brand new model in its inaugural year. Personally I wouldn't buy neither car in their first year of production. Now by 2021 you would hope that much of the issues the model Y had have been ironed out. I suspect that there will be the usual stealer markups over MSRP that is customary with Ford stealers with a "hot" model.
For me the supercharger network is a moot point because long distance travel is still a huge hassle with electric cars and just not worth it if you own and ICE car for your traveling and a 220v wall charger in the garage.
The Model Y has the advantage of not being the first vehicle on its platform. There's three years of Model 3 production behind it, on top of the other advantage of having a decade of delivering BEVs to the public.

That's a pretty important advantage. The Model Y has some improvements over even the version of the Model 3 currently coming off the line that come from hard learned lessons. The much improved lower trunk assembly and the change to having the heat pump also heat the cabin in addition to cooling it.

Last edited:
Ford may have dealership markups but they still have, I believe, the $7,500 federal credit for their EVs. That said, I'm probably going to get a Model Y next year. I am always leery about getting a model in its first year -- I've had some issues doing so before. I figure all of Model Y's initial issues will be long gone by then. Our Model 3, built in December has been pretty good and has benefited from being a few years down the line.

Go on Fords website under the "Map your own trip" and put in various road trips. Look closely at their recommended charging stations and notice that you can not make many trips without have serious difficulty and certainly not in a timely fashion. Click on each recommendation and see what type and speed each proposed charger will produce. In my area, and trying to travel to Michigan on my usual route, it was not possible to travel without having to use level 2 chargers for Mach E. Ford also lists many Electrify America chargers. I have personally found them to be unreliable in the past. I hope they become more reliable...
I agree, but have you tried traveling in a Tesla on a long weekend on a well traveled route? What the supercharger maps don't tell you is the long wait times and unorganized lines just to get a spot once you're there, and of course ramping down the charging as you approach 80% all while hauling kids. I've done it a few times in my model X and we'll never do it again. Once Teslas can do *REALISTIC* 500 miles in hot and cold weather then the supercharger network can become a true advantage. Until then, for me its a moot point between all manufacturers because in truth they are all still city cars.

I agree, but have you tried traveling in a Tesla on a long weekend on a well traveled route? What the supercharger maps don't tell you is the long wait times and unorganized lines just to get a spot once you're there, and of course ramping down the charging as you approach 80% all while hauling kids. I've done it a few times in my model X and we'll never do it again. Once Teslas can do *REALISTIC* 500 miles in hot and cold weather then the supercharger network can become a true advantage. Until then, for me its a moot point between all manufacturers because in truth they are all still city cars.
Where in the "Heated South" are you? Outside the past situation in Austin TX, which was infamously bonkers, I've never had to line up. Long weekends, spring breaks, etc. I've been the last person in before, and it isn't uncommon to share a pair at peak times, which is annoying given the speed difference. Plus there are some older SC out there that aren't as reliable as you'd like, and it is not unheard of for someone to have to connect/re-connect multiple times just to bump up enough for the next leg, but those are in low traffic places anyway. Still not "line up" bad.

Of course I've never been to California. There are select SC there that are crazy busy. And I have somewhat better range than your P100D, but not a lot.

Last edited:
To me this is something that will tell me if Ford has changed, or if they are the same old large manufacturer. Prior to getting my Tesla, I had a 2017 Ford Escape which also featured OTA WiFi updates to their Sync system (their entertainment system). In my three years of ownership, I received three updates. Two of the three updates failed OTA and required downloading files on to a USB drive and installing manually (plug the USB in and let the ICE car idle for 30-90 min while it installs). Those updates also did not include any map/navigation updates, a separate purchase that I have seen range from $0 to $150 and require the same USB installation as mentioned above.

Tesla has set a high bar for their constant OTA updates including autopilot and performance updates (faster and better breaking), UI redesigns, maps, new features, etc., but also allows the ability to help service with remote diagnostics. Time will tell if other companies like Ford use their capabilities to make a better ever evolving vehicle or just basic "bug fixes". I hope Ford has changed and can make a compelling competitor to Model Y. This would only help push Tesla to make their cars/services better and make more mainstream consumers aware of the EV future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Young Phenom

View attachment 544668
Have you actually tried using those stations before? Public, for profit, charging networks are a totally different animal than the Supercharger network.

Reactions: posity
Have you actually tried using those stations before? Public, for profit, charging networks are a totally different animal than the Supercharger network.

I have not, but I know they aren't very friendly to use. Again, no disagreement that the Supercharger network is vastly superior, but I am just saying its not impossible to drive a non Tesla EV on long road trips.

I have traveled almost coast to coast many times. A Tesla and its charging infrastructure is a piece of cake to use. I have never had to wait at a Tesla supercharger even traveling where I have in California. I do hear that there are some very busy places in California people have had to wait. The few times I have gone to California either I have been lucky or I have somehow missed traveling to the congested chargers. In all of the other states I never have had to wait and most times they are far from full. The nice thing about Tesla too is that you can use other vendors fast charging systems using an adapter. So it basically doubles the available charging locations compared to Ford or any other manufacturer. One time, I towed a 7,000 pound cargo trailer over 2,500 miles having to stop to charge every 80-125 miles. Let's just say that I had to use many chargers that trip (including non-Tesla) and it took very careful navigating. I am unhappy with the unreliability of Electrify America stations and that charging company is what other manufacturers appear to be relying on. Hopefully they improve...

Last edited: