Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y versus Prius size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Backstory:
We have 2 Prius and I have been wanting a Tesla for a while so I test drove a Model 3 last year over a couple of days. The third time I exited the car I wrenched my back and lost several days of work. The M3 is low and I needed to fully open the door and nearly bend in half to get in and out. So I was so excited when I could test drive the Model Y SUV.

Looking at these photos, you can see that the Model Y "SUV" is not all that much larger than a Prius.

Front.jpeg
Back.jpeg
Prius side.jpeg
Tesla side.jpeg

screenshot_628.jpg

Reactions: kevin1
I have yet to see a Y in person but I am expecting it to be the size of a small crossover...similar to my wife's Jeep Cherokee which is significantly smaller than my Grand Cherokee.

Although, it is 7 inches wider and 11 inches longer than the Prius...not really that close in size. How did the interior size feel in the Y versus the prius?

I have yet to see a Y in person but I am expecting it to be the size of a small crossover...similar to my wife's Jeep Cherokee which is significantly smaller than my Grand Cherokee.

Although, it is 7 inches wider and 11 inches longer than the Prius...not really that close in size. How did the interior size feel in the Y versus the prius?

Have you measured your Cherokee (online shows: 189-191″ L x 77″ W x 68-69″ H -- which makes the MY a bit smaller). Numbers don't lie, but my Prius still is easier to get in and out of when the door cannot be fully opened and it feels roomier in the back seat than the MY. I think that has to do with the steeper MY roof shape compared with the Prius.

Prius: ground to seat: 23", Ground to top sill at middle of seat: 53"; Door opening: 41" (bottom sill to top sill)
MY: ground to seat 26"-28"

Last edited:
My parents have a Prius. While they might look similar, the space is night and day. Headspace, passenger space, storage space all feel much bigger. Not to mention the additional trunk space and frunk space for even more storage. My wife has a Lexus RX and that car looks bigger from the outside but the Y still feels like it wins in storage.

This is of course without any "hard" measurements just perception.

Reactions: slmitchell737
well, plus 6-7 inches sure "not a big difference" lol, you need to compare with F-150 to get BIG difference.
Compared to GMC Terrain, which is "true" SUV, Model Y has same interior dimensions, a bit longer and IMO more trunk space (at least better organized). Due to solar roof is feels more "roomy" in Y compared to GMC (and maybe Y has +2" headroom)

Have you measured your Cherokee (online shows: 189-191″ L x 77″ W x 68-69″ H -- which makes the MY a bit smaller). Numbers don't lie, but my Prius still is easier to get in and out of when the door cannot be fully opened and it feels roomier in the back seat than the MY. I think that has to do with the steeper MY roof shape compared with the Prius.

Prius: ground to seat: 23", Ground to top sill at middle of seat: 53"; Door opening: 41" (bottom sill to top sill)
MY: ground to seat 26"-28"

You must be referring to the Grand Cherokee...the Cherokee is smaller than that...ie only 73.2" wide.

Anyways, thanks for the info as this helps...if I get a Y it will be replacing my Grand Cherokee and I don't want to feel cramped inside.

You must be referring to the Grand Cherokee...the Cherokee is smaller than that...ie only 73.2" wide.

Anyways, thanks for the info as this helps...if I get a Y it will be replacing my Grand Cherokee and I don't want to feel cramped inside.
I have a Grand Cherokee as well and it's definitely bigger outside than the MY, but I don't think you'll feel cramped in the MY. The interior is so open and with the dashboard design, feels very roomy. The GC, OTOH, I find to be tight onside, and I'm 5' 8".

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Model Y has tons more space inside. The Prius has big battery boxes, a fuel tank, a gasoline motor, and all the stuff necessary to run both gas and electric drives. The Tesla has the super efficient skateboard packaging of all components below the seating.area. Even the motors are located low to reduce the center of gravity.

In addition to better space and packaging, the Prius is a dog in performance and handles poorly. Gives little driving satisfaction with the goofy combination of a small battery plus the gas motor connected to the poor sounding variable speed transmission.

Hard to compare the two. The Prius is a bit ugly, and it's chief claim to fame is that it gets good gas mileage. The Tesla burns no gas at all and is far better for the environment. No oil changes, no mufflers, no tune ups...no comparison.

Talk about weight, my Prius Prime is about 3,300 lbs. One cool thing about running in EV mode in the Prime is the efficiency. From May through September, it is quite normal to use only 160-180 wh/mile (but not at high speed highway). Or almost double the efficiancy of a Y. Assuming I'll be getting a Y eventually, the lower efficiency of the Y will take some getting used to. The Prime is 4 inches longer than a normal Prius due to the increased crush zone in the back to protect the larger traction battery.

Reactions: skiwhmts
The MY is one of the most efficient designs you’ll find when it comes to space and size imo. Tons of cargo space and head/legroom despite not being a big car. One of the most easy vehicles to enter/exit, great drive position. It completely nails the sedan crossover (modern mini van).
The only improvement in regards to body design I’d like is a little lower hood for better front bumper awareness.

We’re passing in hopes the new S will have better interior options, and acceleration, but the design is great

Talk about weight, my Prius Prime is about 3,300 lbs. One cool thing about running in EV mode in the Prime is the efficiency. From May through September, it is quite normal to use only 160-180 wh/mile (but not at high speed highway). Or almost double the efficiancy of a Y. Assuming I'll be getting a Y eventually, the lower efficiency of the Y will take some getting used to. The Prime is 4 inches longer than a normal Prius due to the increased crush zone in the back to protect the larger traction battery.
What's the range running purely on battery?

What's the range running purely on battery?

Not a lot. Spec is 25 miles, although in good weather I've done 10 more miles than that. Winter maybe 17. Range is 625 total, with EV included.

Sounds almost useless, but my latest tank is now at 978 miles, and I've used about a half gallon of that aweful liquid stuff. So that's currrently about 2,000 miles per gallon.

EDIT: On a normal year, we'd have taken this car on at least two cross-country driving vacations using 95% gas to do it, and about 3,500 miles worth of gas by halfway through the year. But with COVID, there is very little incentive to plan anything multi-state without losing two weeks of work by self-quarantining once we'd get back from a long vacation. So, much more local driving lately. Kinda sucks - I just want to get out there and outta here for a while. Still, with about 160-180 wh/m in EV, it does the job very well, and nothing but tires and windshield wipers and cabin air filter to wear out.

Last edited:
Not to hijack a thread, but I'm coming from a Prius Prime also, and am very interested in the MY. Bought out my lease on it, but the GF is taking it. I usually go about 1500 miles before having to fill up. Commute is only 20 miles each way, so I hardly use any gas. (live on a hill, so it uses way more power coming home than going to work). That's even with the boss adding a Level 2 charger for me at the office.
But I've never been that happy with the cargo space on the Prime. I do love the side by side pics with the Prius.

I have an 08 Prius and just got a Y. Im very happy with the space in the Y. With the Prius, luggage for our family of four would mostly fill the back and the dog would be in the back seat. With the Y, luggage goes in the frunk or bottom of back and the dog has the whole back. She misses sticking her head out the window and having her ears flap in the breeze but we love it.

I have an 08 Prius and just got a Y. Im very happy with the space in the Y. With the Prius, luggage for our family of four would mostly fill the back and the dog would be in the back seat. With the Y, luggage goes in the frunk or bottom of back and the dog has the whole back. She misses sticking her head out the window and having her ears flap in the breeze but we love it.

That's funny about the pup.. We used to foster dogs quite a bit, and I hated the Prime backseat because of the hump. The Goldens we cared for didn't like it. We ended up using a Bolt for foster duty and they seemed to be much happier back there.