Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y VIN assigned!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First noticed VIN on source on 6/1 (could have been there before), confirmed by SA, and by calling Tesla Delivery. SA said the car should be delivered within the next two weeks. No VIN or MVAP online yet. No call or texts regarding delivery. MSM/black interior/LR/AWD/20" wheels/No FSD. Ordered on 5/20.

First noticed VIN on source on 6/1 (could have been there before), confirmed by SA, and by calling Tesla Delivery. SA said the car should be delivered within the next two weeks. No VIN or MVAP online yet. No call or texts regarding delivery. MSM/black interior/LR/AWD/20" wheels/No FSD. Ordered on 5/20.
In the same boat. Noticed it for the first time this Monday, called Service Advisor to confirm. No VIN except on the page source yet. Hoping for delivery in the next few weeks. MSM, AWD, black interior, Gemini wheels, FSD. Ordered March 2019.

In the same boat. Noticed it for the first time this Monday, called Service Advisor to confirm. No VIN except on the page source yet. Hoping for delivery in the next few weeks. MSM, AWD, black interior, Gemini wheels, FSD. Ordered March 2019.
So I’m new to this forum and Tesla in general. I’ve never owned an EV car and truly wasn’t even interested in one. I’m a life long Mercedes owner and after and was intending to get into another one after my lease ended this past month. My daughter who lives in Cali came to visit and talked me into test driving a Tesla while she was here and that was it for me. The speed and the simplistic interior was what sold it to me. Put my deposit down that same night. What I am not understanding is how this whole delivery timeline works with Tesla. How have you been waiting for over A year and some who placed there orders just a few weeks ago get theirs so quickly? I think I’m starting to understand as to why not so many people have Teslas, at least here in the east coast. Not everyone has the the luxury to wait weeks, months or even years to take delivery of a car.

So I’m new to this forum and Tesla in general. I’ve never owned an EV car and truly wasn’t even interested in one. I’m a life long Mercedes owner and after and was intending to get into another one after my lease ended this past month. My daughter who lives in Cali came to visit and talked me into test driving a Tesla while she was here and that was it for me. The speed and the simplistic interior was what sold it to me. Put my deposit down that same night. What I am not understanding is how this whole delivery timeline works with Tesla. How have you been waiting for over A year and some who placed there orders just a few weeks ago get theirs so quickly? I think I’m starting to understand as to why not so many people have Teslas, at least here in the east coast. Not everyone has the the luxury to wait weeks, months or even years to take delivery of a car.

If you buy a higher margin car (like Performance version), you're more likely to get it sooner. Also, for the model Y, east coast orders have gotten filled before west coast orders.

Also, black interiors have gotten theirs sooner.

Tesla deliveries of new models have been unpredictable because they make cars in configuration batches. After that, they ship to east coast first since it takes longer and then work their way to the west coast.

But, in reality nobody actually knows how the cars (model Y specifically) are being delivered. Many people have their theories (like the above post), but every time someone says something that seems to make sense, we see contradictions. They do produce in batches, but once those cars leave the factory who knows what the hell is happening. There's no communication, and we've seen situations here where someone who ordered in 2019 hasn't received their VIN yet, but their literal neighbor who had the exact same spec car and ordered a couple months ago did. So really, once you place that order nobody knows.

I think all of that is pretty specific to Model Y right now though. You could order a Model 3 and be pretty sure you will get it in a reasonable amount of time (accurate to whatever they are quoting at time of order anyway).

Tesla just started delivering Model Ys in March before the factory shutdown. Then they re-started deliveries. So you won't have to wait a year for your car. Those that have waited placed their orders knowing that Tesla said the cars would hit the roads in the fall of 2020 (yep, they beat estimates). You are more likely looking at a timeline at the worst of September, but more likely before mid-July. Don't hold me to it, because crazy things are happening in 2020!

been following this thread for a while and figured i would share my time line. Learned about the source code trick here. Thanks for the tip.

Ordered february 2020, Got a call in March right before the shut down asking if i was ready... I was. Then everything shut down... silence....
Vin appeared in Source on 5/31. Got the delivery text text today! Checked the schedule - June 12 was available!. Got distracted. came back to schedule. and... AHHHH now i got to wait for the 19th.
So my tip - Schedule first make drop-off arrangements second.

We are on the East Coast and ordered the Model Y on day 1, before they started making them. Knew it would be a while. Still have a very capable Jeep Grand Cherokee that the Y will replace. We also had a Model 3 for 18 months before it was totaled in January. We ordered a new one March 2020 and it arrived April 2020, about a month wait. You have to understand that these cars are built to order, but you may find a car with specifications that you like in inventory sometimes. Tesla does not have a load of cars sitting in inventory like other car makers. I've never ordered a car from Mercedes, Acura, etc but can imagine that it may also take a month or so to get. Even with all the waiting, etc, I can tell you that I cannot see ever buying another brand of car other than a Tesla. The only people who wait years are those that order something that they are not yet making, like a rear wheel drive Y or a cybertruck.

I got my VIN via the source code on May 26. No texts, emails or anything about the VIN until the web page was updated with the final MVPA, updated on Tuesday June 2. The updated MVPA was after I spoke with my delivery advisor, with an estimated delivery for June 18. Once I got the text to schedule my delivery (3 days later), June 13, June 16, June 17 were the options (Devon, PA pickup location).

It'll probably be a week or two before you see any activity since most of the delivery advisors are backed up, so they're cranking out the backlog.

Reactions: Relayer