Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs 3 Comparision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a quick Excel spreadsheet on the 2 models when comparing with each other:

price.png

Notice the price increases from AWD to performance is cheaper on the Model Y. This implies that Tesla can lower the model 3 performance down a little more.

I think the Model 3 is still the best bang for the bucks if you don't need a bigger car in term of range and speed.
The extra cost is probably to cover the materials to build the bigger car so it's understandable.

modely.png

Last edited:
Its a 3 with a hatchback, that is not an SUV and it laughable that they would even try to say it is. I would have been excited if it had just been a sport wagon or a Shooting Brake and yes, it well sell well and the regular Model 3 sales will tank.
No screw up, it's a beautiful car at an amazing price. It will be their best selling vehicle.
You said it right, its a car - not an SUV... and it will be their best selling car. In no way is this a mid-size SUV. No towing, No roof rack, no go for my lifestyle. I hope they do better with the truck.

Last edited:
Its a 3 with a hatchback, that is not an SUV and it laughable that they would even try to say it is. I would have been excited if it had just been a sport wagon or a Shooting Brake and yes, it well sell well and the regular Model 3 sales will tank.

You said it right, its a car - not an SUV... and it will be their best selling car. In no way is this a mid-size SUV. No towing, No roof rack, no go for my lifestyle. I hope they do better with the truck.

This has more cargo room than a Mitsubishi Outlander. That’s clearly an SUV. What makes an SUV an SUV?

It is in the same category as a Rav4, Rouge, Forester, CRV, CX-5 etc., which some people call a SUV (see wiki link below) some call an CUV and others call a crossover. It has similar cargo space as most SUV/CUVs (more than a CX-5 and less than a Rav4). Regardless, it is exactly what they said it would be and it is exactly what it needs to be to make Tesla competitive in this segment.

Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia

It is in the same category as a Rav4, Rouge, Forester, CRV, CX-5 etc., which some people call a SUV (see wiki link below) some call an CUV and others call a crossover. It has similar cargo space as most SUV/CUVs (more than a CX-5 and less than a Rav4). Regardless, it is exactly what they said it would be and it is exactly what it needs to be to make Tesla competitive in this segment.

Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia

It has 10 cu ft less cargo than the CRV and 5 less than the fav 4 as well as a much smaller hatch opening so it seems it’s a bit smaller than those SUVs

A bit of size comparison I just did:
my_vs_m3.png

This was based on the stock photo taken from the ordering pages, they might be from slightly different perspective, so comparison might be off a little bit in the rear, also if the pictures are of the same scale, they suggest Model Y has a slightly longer wheelbase, but it could be not true at all.
So, just FYI,

A bit of size comparison I just did:
View attachment 388068
This was based on the stock photo taken from the ordering pages, they might be from slightly different perspective, so comparison might be off a little bit in the rear, also if the pictures are of the same scale, they suggest Model Y has a slightly longer wheelbase, but it could be not true at all.
So, just FYI,

I admire this. <3

Do we know if it is to scale on the Tesla site?

Here is a quick Excel spreadsheet on the 2 models when comparing with each other:

View attachment 386563

Notice the price increases from AWD to performance is cheaper on the Model Y. This implies that Tesla can lower the model 3 performance down a little more.

I think the Model 3 is still the best bang for the bucks if you don't need a bigger car in term of range and speed.
The extra cost is probably to cover the materials to build the bigger car so it's understandable.

View attachment 386564
Agreed.

I am working on a detailed comparison of Tesla' S,3,X,Y lineup . The link permits comments. As a working document, feel free to make comments/corrections.