Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Vs Deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my almost one year old MY had a run-in with a deer. Its currently at a bodyshop and I'm awaiting to see what the cost estimate is. Now the waiting game!

I wasn't on auto pilot
no airbags
hardly felt it
going roughly 55 mph
tempImagecVYfGV.jpg
tempImage5SQ50d.jpg

I know a place near Novato, CA where the Highway 101 is passing above a little creek.
There are often dears killed by cars and lying on each side of the road.

I wonder why, after so many years that the CHP must have noticed it, a metal fence was not installed
forcing deer staying away and forcing them to pass under the road, especially at night.

There are also quite often some motorcycles especially on week end,
and looking at the above damages, such encounter could be quite dramatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
Wow! Sorry your MY took such a beating, but the good news is it's just a car and you are safe. It'll be interesting to see what the body shop says. Was there any indication of automatic emergency braking, or other automatic evasive action taken by the car? Looking forward to the video....

Jeez.. Your deer accident is worse than mine I had in December even though I also hit the deer while going 55 MPH w/out AP... I guess me slamming my brake did mitigate the damage.. Anyway, I am glad that you are okay which is always the crucial thing in this circumstance. Car can be fixed well by certified bodyshop based on my experience.

Jeez.. Your deer accident is worse than mine I had in December even though I also hit the deer while going 55 MPH w/out AP... I guess me slamming my brake did mitigate the damage.. Anyway, I am glad that you are okay which is always the crucial thing in this circumstance. Car can be fixed well by certified bodyshop based on my experience.
It is amazing how much you slow down in a fraction of a second of slamming on the brakes. If you shed 10 mph it makes a significant impact (no pun intended) on the damage you get from hitting something, especially a "soft target" like a deer.

Keith

It is amazing how much you slow down in a fraction of a second of slamming on the brakes. If you shed 10 mph it makes a significant impact (no pun intended) on the damage you get from hitting something, especially a "soft target" like a deer.

Keith
Yes, I was lucky since it was 2 am in rural Texas highway without any vehicles in either directions. My wife said whats that and I just slammed on brake asap (kudos to Tesla for brake performance). I was able to avoid hitting heads on but deer still somehow managed to ram into me 😑

Good thing is, bodyshop mamaged to fix it perfectly after 6 wks. Costed 13.5K for insurance.

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_192304_347.jpg
    IMG_20201219_192304_347.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: cancoi
Yes, I was lucky since it was 2 am in rural Texas highway without any vehicles in either directions. My wife said whats that and I just slammed on brake asap (kudos to Tesla for brake performance). I was able to avoid hitting heads on but deer still somehow managed to ram into me 😑

Good thing is, bodyshop mamaged to fix it perfectly after 6 wks. Costed 13.5K for insurance.

LOL, you just reminded me of a story about my ex-wife. She was driving her SUV home after we had gone to a movie, it was late evening and foggy. I saw a deer on the side of the road, pointed at it and said "deer". As she continued driving in the same lane at the same speed as the deer walked into the road I repeated the word "Deer" while franticly jabbing my finger in the direction of the deer that was now in our lane... I increased the volume of my shouting the word "DEER" and the frantic nature of my gesturing towards the deer right up until impact.

Some people hunt with a Shotgun, some with a Rifle, some even use a Bow... my Ex used her SUV.

Keith

Reactions: hcdavis3
I increased the volume of my shouting the word "DEER" and the frantic nature of my gesturing towards the deer right up until impact.
Yes, it is interesting how crystal clear we can be to each other and still have some miscommunication.

I was playing on a team with my daughter's boyfriend, who was a physics PhD student. Very bright kid.
He was trying to make me guess a word and I got to the word prism. He got excited and the best clue he thought he could give me was "chemically different".
That produced a blank stare from me, so he said "Chemically different"... "Chemically different" getting louder and more excited.
At no point, did he try something else, since I was obviously not a chemistry person.
Eventually we ran out of time.
I then learned that the word he wanted from me was crystal, which I now believe is chemically different from a prism.

I know a place near Novato, CA where the Highway 101 is passing above a little creek.
There are often dears killed by cars and lying on each side of the road.

I wonder why, after so many years that the CHP must have noticed it, a metal fence was not installed
forcing deer staying away and forcing them to pass under the road, especially at night.

There are also quite often some motorcycles especially on week end,
and looking at the above damages, such encounter could be quite dramatic.
It's Cali. #DeerRights :cool:

If that’s not totaled I’ll be very surprised (and happy). I’ve seen so many reports of Tesla’s declared totaled for what looked like a lot less damage. Especially if in CA due to some special insurance rule relating repair cost to salvage value, which is really high lately.