Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Electrified GV70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y LR on order but am intrigued by the just-announced 2022 Electrified GV70. It has compelling stats (up to 483HP, 0-60 in 4.5, roughly 250 mile range) and features (350kW fast charging, V2L). It also retains the popular luxury interior of the GV70. No pricing info, but the ICE GV70 tops out at 65k.

Seems like a solid competitor. Anyone else considering it?

First I heard of this. I have a Model Y on order as well but this won't get me to hesitate. But I will be keeping an eye on this and other new EV options rolling out. Still a lot of unknows...plus the supercharger network. The V2L sounds interesting...wonder how this works.

If it is that much better I could always trade the Y in for it.

It's the same platform as the Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6 (?). The problem here is that the local dealer refuses to carry EV models. A friend tried to purchase a Kona EV and was told none of the dealers in our state carry any of their EVs. If she wants one they will order it from a dealer in an adjacent state and "can put it in your driveway, but after that you're on your own."

This is interesting. I sat in the GV80 at the auto show 2 years ago (pre-covid) and found it to be extremely comfortable and thought it competed with the likes of Mercedes in terms of luxury features. An all-electric version certainly raises my interest and I'll keep my eye on it but honestly, until competing charging networks are up and running (as in equal to or better than the current Tesla one), I probably won't consider any EV that isn't Tesla.

I have a Model Y LR on order but am intrigued by the just-announced 2022 Electrified GV70. It has compelling stats (up to 483HP, 0-60 in 4.5, roughly 250 mile range) and features (350kW fast charging, V2L). It also retains the popular luxury interior of the GV70. No pricing info, but the ICE GV70 tops out at 65k.

Seems like a solid competitor. Anyone else considering it?
I will be getting a new car new year and have been watching the new ones. I would like a nicer interior than my model S.

This is interesting. I sat in the GV80 at the auto show 2 years ago (pre-covid) and found it to be extremely comfortable and thought it competed with the likes of Mercedes in terms of luxury features. An all-electric version certainly raises my interest and I'll keep my eye on it but honestly, until competing charging networks are up and running (as in equal to or better than the current Tesla one), I probably won't consider any EV that isn't Tesla.

Genesis are nice cars.

In Europe with Ionity 800V chargers... this car makes a ton of sense. In the US... meh. As a local city car for a real estate agent sure.

The GV70 is a really nice car. It feels just as premium as any CUVs coming from BMW or Audi right now, if not more so, and IMHO it looks great. The ICE motor options are kind of crummy, so it's great to see it get electrified.

I will be getting a new car new year and have been watching the new ones. I would like a nicer interior than my model S.

The GV70 will definitely get you there. I love the interior design and the build quality and materials are good. Lots of little premium features like the blind spot camera on turn signal, fingerprint ID, and exterior key control.

Last edited:
Reactions: WADan
In Europe with Ionity 800V chargers... this car makes a ton of sense.
Regarding Ionity in Europe, be careful not to believe all the hype. From what I can see, as a network it remains undeveloped in many parts of Europe (and expensive!). I recently travelled from Switzerland to England and back in our MY. With the Supercharger network this was straightforwards – a number of stations right on my route, where I needed them. Trying the same with Ionity would have been at minimum inconvenient, and maybe even impossible.

Regarding Ionity in Europe, be careful not to believe all the hype. From what I can see, as a network it remains undeveloped in many parts of Europe (and expensive!). I recently travelled from Switzerland to England and back in our MY. With the Supercharger network this was straightforwards – a number of stations right on my route, where I needed them. Trying the same with Ionity would have been at minimum inconvenient, and maybe even impossible.
Well considering the VW CEO publicly dissed the Ionity network I’m sure it’s not much better than EA. However 800V exists widespread there and not completely true in the US. I believe the 350 kW Signet chargers used by EA are.