Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs ID.4, MME (and others) Rangeb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing a deep dive into the CARB certification gives you some number for range comparison, albeit not real world. Knowing battery sizes you can compare range with efficiency of the drivetrain but not really aerodynamics since this is all done on a dyno. All ranges referenced are UDDS so not real world but apples to apples in terms of testing method. Being dyno based I would assume weight doesn’t have any role in this? Or is the UDDS an actual driving in the real world test? Or is there so,e correction in the dyno testing that accounts for weight and aerodynamics?

ID.4 rwd - 384 (78kWh) - 203 wh/mile
SR Y rwd - 357 (55kWh) - 154 wh/mile
LR Y awd - 446 (78kWh) - 175 wh/mile
LR+ X awd - 508 (100kwh) - 197 wh/mile
MME awd - 295 (68kWh) - 231 wh/mile
MME awd ER - 372 (88kWh) - 237 wh/mile
MME rwd - 335 (68kWh) - 203 wh/mile
MME rwd ER - 435 (88kWh) - 202 wh/mile
Chevy Bolt - 397 (66kWh) - 166 wh/mile
Hyundai Kona - 414 (64kWh) - 155 wh/mile
Jaguar I-Pace - 354.4 (90kWh) - 254 wh/mile
E-tron - 301 (95kWh) - 316 wh/mile
E-tron sportback - 296 (95kWh) - 321 wh/mile
Polestar 2 - 345 (78kWh) - 226 wh/mile
Volvo XC40 P8 - 319 (78kWh) - 245 wh/mile

Files ending in z_e.pdf are zev. Most BEV but some fcev.

Last edited:
Great info! It's really interesting to see how much the energy consumption rates vary, especially when all external factors have been removed.

Another important spec that would be interesting to compare is the 0-60mph time. It's surprising how the most powerful motors are not the least efficient, which I think many assume is not the case. This is a testament of Tesla's commitment to energy efficiency perfection, which often goes unnoticed.

Yes, that is the breakdown of all the data Tesla submits To EPA. I don’t think that has anything to do with id.4 or any of the other cars EPA ratings or am I missing something? I know how Tesla derives their numbers. However much has been talked about other manufacturers using much more conservative adjustments for their EPA final ranges. I am going to use the data from the first post to find correlation factors to apply to other vehicles to show what the Tesla approach would estimate their range at as well as using other manufactures correlation factors to estimate Tesla’s ranges.

Yes, that is the breakdown of all the data Tesla submits To EPA. I don’t think that has anything to do with id.4 or any of the other cars EPA ratings or am I missing something? I know how Tesla derives their numbers. However much has been talked about other manufacturers using much more conservative adjustments for their EPA final ranges. I am going to use the data from the first post to find correlation factors to apply to other vehicles to show what the Tesla approach would estimate their range at as well as using other manufactures correlation factors to estimate Tesla’s ranges.
The other manufacturers use the other EV method of just one urban and one highway cycle. Less costly and more accurate for real world driving since the method Tesla uses has more urban cycles.