Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Model 3 HVAC energy comparison.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I decided to test the energy consumption of the HVAC of both our Model 3 and Y. I wanted to see how much of a difference the heat pump in the Y would make. Both cars were pre-heated to 70F for several hours while plugged in. Simultaneously, both cars were unplugged. "Camp Mode" and 70F were then selected. They were both side by side in our garage which stayed at 65F all night. So the load on both cars was quite light, as only a 5 degree delta T was set. These results obviously don't show what the loss would be under cold winter conditions; I'm just showing a comparison between the two. I would think the difference would be greater as the outside temperature decreased, up until the point that the heat pump became so inefficient that the Y would require mostly resistive heating. Even at that point the Y should still show an advantage as the Y can use waste heat from the motors to warm the cabin. Also, please note that even under only slightly cool temperatures, the Y should show a greater advantage while driving than this test indicates due to the afore mentioned ability of the Y to use waste heat from the motors and battery to heat the cabin.

Long story short, the results here indicate a worst case scenario for the Y, and at ambient temperatures above approximately 35F the Y's advantage should be greater than the test results contained herein.

The Model 3 started at 255 miles of range and ended the test with 181 miles of range, using 74 miles of range to heat the car overnight. The Model Y started at 170 miles of range and ended the test with 148 miles of range, using 22 miles of range to heat the car overnight. The test ran for 11 hours and range was checked once via the app for both cars approximately 1/3 of the way through the test. Energy consumption was linear for both cars according to that check.

The Y required 2 miles of range/hour to heat the car, the 3 required 6.73 miles/hour. As I stated earlier, the difference should be even greater under actual driving conditions and mildly cool/cold temperatures for a variety of reasons. At some very cold temperature--where no waste heat is available for the Y to heat the cabin--the range loss to heat the cabin should equal out.

Interesting, thanks for sharing the data.

I'm curious to see what people are getting for average kWh consumption. I've got the Model Y Performance with 21" wheels, and overall consumption over about 240 miles so far is around 330kWh/mile with mixed city and highway and a fair amount of rain (which definitely has a big impact). Our AWD non-performance Model 3 with 18" aero wheels has a lifetime average of about 305kWh/mile so not crazy, but hoping for betting.

I conducted a similar test, Model 3 and Model Y outside in 40 degree weather, ran the climate at 70 degrees both for the same time period. After 5 hours, the Model 3 lost 25% battery, and the Model Y lost 14%. So, particularly given the larger cabin volume, the Model Y is definitely more efficient at heating the cabin.

FYI, this was WITH sentry mode on, so turning that off would reduce consumption.

I am super happy for all you out there with their Y, but I confess to feeling a little bit of "Y envy" with my 3 (as much as I love the 3).

Just the thought of getting the hockey bags into the Y and not having to drop an entire seat for the stick makes me....

My wife and I just swapped out both of our 3's to Y's because it will be so much easier putting our hockey bags in the car.

• Funny
Reactions: RocDeef and Y_Wait
I think that in cold winter without preheating the 3 and Y can be quite similar. However, if you preheat both or use SC on long trips the Y would be far superior as it can transfer heat from the coolant loop. Long SC-charging can bring batterytemp to 40-50C. That is a lot of heat that is usable for the Ys hvac, but gives no advantage for 3.

After owning the 3 for 6 months after 6 years with TMS I have to say the auto-setting on hvac on 3 is terrible, okay in warm summer, but in general terrible. It often choses to direct fanspeed of 6 direct on driver (way to much), windows fog up and consumption is aweful. Manually setting fan to windows and driver at 2-3 and turning if AC in dry weather improves comfort, consumption and windows don't fog. In TMS I used range mode most of the time. Fogging was never a problem and fan rarely went above 3 on auto.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1