Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs. Mustang GTE

Model Y or Mustang GTE

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summer 2020

OK, so a few months earlier then. Will be interesting to see what Ford’s initial ramp looks like. Maybe you can get a Model E first in Michigan, for example, before Tesla has done the rollout that far. (Honestly, the Ford would be a better choice in MI anyway due to their dumb legislature and Tesla not even being able to service cars there)

Most brands are very reliable today. I have owned 4 Chevy Bolts and had not one issue with them. My 6 Teslas have had plenty with at least one being a full blown lemon.

A Mustang with the full Federal tax rebate, instrument cluster, heated steering wheel, rear window wiper, large frunk, Apple Carplay, etc. is something that looks pretty good to me.

I'm really curious to see this comparison. The numbers released yesterday look pretty close between the Model Y and Mach-E.

Regardless which you prefer, competition is good for us consumers.

I think Ford and Tesla each have some unique advantages. Ford has a dealer and service network, established customer base, and extensive manufacturing experience while Tesla has more BEV experience, great battery and motor technology, a charismatic CEO, and the Supercharger network.... it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Most brands are very reliable today. I have owned 4 Chevy Bolts and had not one issue with them. My 6 Teslas have had plenty with at least one being a full blown lemon.

A Mustang with the full Federal tax rebate, instrument cluster, heated steering wheel, rear window wiper, large frunk, Apple Carplay, etc. is something that looks pretty good to me.
4 Bolts and 6 Teslas...WOW! The "hands free" feature also intrigues me: Ford to introduce hands-free assist system with Mustang Mach-E

Bottom line for me . . . with an order for a Y already in . . is whether: 1) Tesla can do a better job in production; and 2) whether Tesla can improve its customer service.

It's that simple. You know the Ford will come off the assembly line well-constructed, body panels aligned, an excellent paint job, among other things. For builds a good product. Ford also has an existing extensive dealer and repair service center network. Yes - there will be a learning curve for service techs - but the process and structure is well-established.

As for charging networks - the reality is that a charging network is a potential profit center for car companies. Ford, believing EVs are the future (finally woke up?), will build an extensive charging network. They'll likely look to capture a stream of long-term revenue from charging. Why not - right?

So - I think (hope) that this new competition will be good for Tesla. Truth be told - I'd rather buy the Tesla. I'm hoping that the competition forces Tesla to work on some quality control issues and force better customer service.

Will all of the EVs now trying to catch Tesla - it's game on. Most people will gravitate towards the better product overall - not necessarily the ones that look the most outrageous (Cybertruck) . . . .

YMMV

As for charging networks - the reality is that a charging network is a potential profit center for car companies. Ford, believing EVs are the future (finally woke up?), will build an extensive charging network. They'll likely look to capture a stream of long-term revenue from charging. Why not - right?

I don't see Ford building a charging network. Their press release actually said partnering with others:

"Ford is working with Greenlots to bring together multiple charging providers to develop the FordPass Charging Network, making it easy for customers to find and pay for charging all through FordPass or their vehicle’s screen. Ford will work with Greenlots to explore adding additional networks to the FordPass Charging Network in the future for even further coverage.

In collaboration with Electrify America, the FordPass Charging Network will provide access to DC fast chargers, where charging an all-electric vehicle takes minutes, not hours. At a 150-kilowatt charger, customers can add an estimated 47 miles of range in 10 minutes and expect to return most of their vehicle’s charge in about the same time it takes them to grab a fast-casual meal.
"

Ford doesn't need to build an extensive charging network. The fact that they've partnered with Electrify America is already a good thing. Meaning, extensive charging infrastructures are already established or are being built.

In the last few days I've learned a lot of people have a lot more confidence in Ford's build quality than I do. You guys know they built cars with transmissions they knew were faulty for years, right? I don't think it's any slam dunk a Ford Mach-E will be built better than a Model Y. I think it's funny the internet is taking that as a given.

Had two Explores and a Ford bronco and two of them need new transmissions before 100,000 miles and on all of them the paint peeled off so there’s that. On our 2nd Tesla and in 5 years we have not needed to go to a service center once. I had a Chevy Malibu and wife had a Volkswagen Jetta before we got teslas and both of them disintegrated and were only five years old.
My grandfather was an engineer at Ford and I would consider getting one if they prove to be serious about electric vehicles and not just playing the compliance game, time will tell.

In the last few days I've learned a lot of people have a lot more confidence in Ford's build quality than I do. You guys know they built cars with transmissions they knew were faulty for years, right? I don't think it's any slam dunk a Ford Mach-E will be built better than a Model Y. I think it's funny the internet is taking that as a given.

yep. The PowerShift dual clutch transmission. My Nissan Armada had a brake recall, cracked exhaust manifold issue (catalytic converters we’re part of the manifolds), faulty engine relay . . . What else? Nissan has issues with its CVT - right? Toyota’s are said to suffer from peeling paint. Toyota also settled the rusting Tacoma frame issue by buying back trucks.

that said - folks don’t talk about getting a trouble free Ford like hitting the Ford lottery. Fords don’t have body panels misaligned, doors that don’t close, etc. You don’t go to a Ford dealer with a thorough checklist when you pick up your new car that shows frequent build quality mistakes - right?

heck - I’ve never owned a Ford (but might with the F-150 BEV). As I’ve said - I want Tesla to up its game with build quality. I own the stock and gave ordered a Y, and am waiting to see this "thing" Elon reveals this week to figure out whether i want to order the Cybertruck, an X, or go get a Raptor, maybe a Polestar, maybe an XC-40 BEV . . . .

good times!