Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs. Mustang GTE

Model Y or Mustang GTE

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone notice every spec of the Ford is "target" and not final. I'm not so sure Ford is that confident on pricing and delivery either. From what I understand it's still not out of the development cycle yet. We'll see how this goes.

Model Y for sure. Tesla has gone through S, X, 3, gathered lots of trial, error and complain, Y will be most popular EV after all.

Ford March E, not too bad, glad they followed some of Tesla's design, but still long way to go, good job nonetheless.

If you want a Ford, buy a Ford. Regardless of being an EV, the Mustang will just be the same old same old from Ford that happens to be an EV instead of an ICE. It will also be their first real EV (I don't count the compliance efforts)
The Model Y will be the crossover version of a proven, best selling, designed from the start EV.
One has an integrated charge network, integrated tech and eco system, designed as a whole.
The other will be a parts bin special with vestigial integration and bits that happen to fit.

For sure the Ford will have a dealer network that resists EVs with every fiber of their being.
Which means the Mustang will have A & B services every 6k miles along with lots of unnecessary service items to keep the aforementioned dealer network happy.

I agree. the focus was a compliance joke. I bought it and returned since the 85 mile battery would not hold a range. Got lucky that the old ownder's info was in the car and he filled me in on the range issues.

The Mustang will apparently only get you 250 miles of range while the Model Y performance will get you 280miles...which as we know Tesla can increase this with improvements over the air... I did an analysis today on Ford site and Tesla site here's my take.

Ford Mach E 300 Mile Range version price: $53,000 RWD for California Route Version (base options no added colors etc). The premium will be $55,000 RWD or $58,300 for Dual Motor. So many configurations and price adjustments, they need to make it more easy to configure instead of charging for everything. Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD $48,000. Dual Motor Y is $52,000. At these prices the Pony is on average $5,000 - $7,000 more expensive than the Model Y and offers less software and proven update history. I guess you can recoup that with the $7500 tax credit you get on the Ford. However that's only for first 200k vehicles sold. Ford uses a 98kwh battery for the 300 mile variants. Teslas uses 75kw battery for the Y and I am sure if Tesla wanted they could add a 100kw to the Y and blow them out of the water on range and cost. Meaning Ford decided to lose out on profits as they are using bigger batteries to match Tesla efficiencies. I got to admin the Ford Mustang Mach E is stunning though and I hope and think it will do just fine as there is a hardcore Mustang base and ford following, but the numbers and reputation are better for the Y if you understand the pros and cons. Tesla proves once again its not easy to make these cars and for them to be as efficient as they make them. For Ford's first try its an amazing job. Now just remove so many options and packages. These prices are for the longer range variants the 230-240 mile variants start at $43-44k for both Tesla and Ford and I haven't looked up options on those models. What I didn't like about the reserve options on Ford website is its just like traditional dealers, you have to select way too many options and many options make you have to switch between configurations while Tesla usually leaves most options on all versions such as glass roofs, heated front seats, memory seats etc. Ford has to make the order process more seamless

I think Ford is shooting for price parity after tax rebate with the Model Y. With Audi/Jag offering up to $15K off MSRP quickly after release, I am expecting the Mach-E will be far cheaper. Dealers not knowing how to move this Mustang will only make pricing better for the mature EV buyers.

Reactions: seattlite2004
I think Ford is shooting for price parity after tax rebate with the Model Y. With Audi/Jag offering up to $15K off MSRP quickly after release, I am expecting the Mach-E will be far cheaper. Dealers not knowing how to move this Mustang will only make pricing better for the mature EV buyers.
Yep....lots of steep discounts on non-Tesla EVs. Hoping that trend continues to the Mach E....I'm getting tingly just thinking about the deals to be had.

Yep....lots of steep discounts on non-Tesla EVs. Hoping that trend continues to the Mach E....I'm getting tingly just thinking about the deals to be had.

I think the ones with the biggest discounts will be the Chevy, Hyundai and Kia as their EV offerings weren't competitive with the Model 3 SR and certainly not the Mach-E. My last Chevy Bolt purchase was for $13K off MSRP. If I could get a similar discount on the Ford or Kia EVs, I would be very happy.

I think I will wait until the end of the first year to get a Ford bargain for a long range AWD version having adaptive cruise. An AWD Kia would be even better. The VW cute-UTE might be the hot ticket. I am excited.

My wife and I will likely buy one of these to go with our 3. In my supremely accurate personal opinion that everyone else should agree with, the Ford is a hell of a lot better looking and appears to have a nicer interior.

However Tesla has better range and mechanicals (i would guess, given the head start). I wish the ford was Fugly, as it would make the choice a lot easier. A GT model may be a viable contender in our household.

Drive them both and decide for yourself.

I like the styling of the GT. The interior though, from the pictures looks cheap. Meaning cheap plastic compared to Tesla. There are several features that I think puts Ford already behind Tesla, including needing to push a button to start the car, the door handles, steering wheels design, low center console and a bunch of other things. I think Tesla needs to build a true wagon.

The Mustang will apparently only get you 250 miles of range while the Model Y performance will get you 280miles...which as we know Tesla can increase this with improvements over the air... I did an analysis today on Ford site and Tesla site here's my take.

Ford Mach E 300 Mile Range version price: $53,000 RWD for California Route Version (base options no added colors etc). The premium will be $55,000 RWD or $58,300 for Dual Motor. So many configurations and price adjustments, they need to make it more easy to configure instead of charging for everything. Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD $48,000. Dual Motor Y is $52,000. At these prices the Pony is on average $5,000 - $7,000 more expensive than the Model Y and offers less software and proven update history. I guess you can recoup that with the $7500 tax credit you get on the Ford. However that's only for first 200k vehicles sold. Ford uses a 98kwh battery for the 300 mile variants. Teslas uses 75kw battery for the Y and I am sure if Tesla wanted they could add a 100kw to the Y and blow them out of the water on range and cost. Meaning Ford decided to lose out on profits as they are using bigger batteries to match Tesla efficiencies. I got to admin the Ford Mustang Mach E is stunning though and I hope and think it will do just fine as there is a hardcore Mustang base and ford following, but the numbers and reputation are better for the Y if you understand the pros and cons. Tesla proves once again its not easy to make these cars and for them to be as efficient as they make them. For Ford's first try its an amazing job. Now just remove so many options and packages. These prices are for the longer range variants the 230-240 mile variants start at $43-44k for both Tesla and Ford and I haven't looked up options on those models. What I didn't like about the reserve options on Ford website is its just like traditional dealers, you have to select way too many options and many options make you have to switch between configurations while Tesla usually leaves most options on all versions such as glass roofs, heated front seats, memory seats etc. Ford has to make the order process more seamless
My Mach E Premium has the white interior, AWD, long range battery for $58,700 before the federal and state tax credits. The Model Y with the white interior, red exterior, spoked wheels, AWD is going for $56,500. As for sales; the Mach E first edition is sold out.