Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is too funny. 10,000+ negative posts on the MME forum about Tesla's famous "in spec" for panel gaps over the last year. Now Ford has bad gaps and dealer says it's "in spec". Hilarious!

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/uneven-gap-between-glass-roof-and-tailgate.4144/

seems like you’re fascinated by it all. Ford came out with a pretty cool EV. If you support the Tesla cause (ridding the planet of ICE vehicles) - the you should be rooting for the Mach-E to succeed.

I love that manufacturers are trying to do cool things with EVs. ICE cars will be on their way out if enough manufacturers can get the public in EVs. it’s an exciting time. Lighten up.

Reactions: jsight
seems like you’re fascinated by it all. Ford came out with a pretty cool EV. If you support the Tesla cause (ridding the planet of ICE vehicles) - the you should be rooting for the Mach-E to succeed.

I love that manufacturers are trying to do cool things with EVs. ICE cars will be on their way out if enough manufacturers can get the public in EVs. it’s an exciting time. Lighten up.

Fair, but I think it is also fair to point out that these issues aren't as unique to tesla as some claim.

Dealers are actually even more masterful at the in-spec-maneuver than Tesla in my experience.

Reactions: SO16 and mark95476
Top Gear’s review

I wouldn’t mind seeing an external styling refresh of the Model Y. I don’t find the Y particularly attractive compared to the MachE. (Not that I find the Mach E that attractive either...just better than the Y.) But I’d still take the Y over the Mach E for every other reason.

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to decide between a Mustang Mach E and a Tesla model Y, and I was hoping to get an idea of the pros and cons of both.

The way I see it they are very comparable in terms of performance, perhaps small advantage to the Mach E but nothing significant, but the Mach- E is of course substantially cheaper with the $7500 tax credit.

The advantage I see for the model y is that would be able to get it almost immediately while would probably have to wait quite a while to get one while Ford works through their order backlog.
I mean they are both very good vehicles probably can’t go wrong with either but wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Thanks!
I test drove both recently, here's my opinion:

Model Y:

Pros: Exterior styling, cargo space, Supercharger network, OTA updates, fast and tech.
Cons: Interior has a lot of cheaper plastics and rubbers to keep cost down, no Federal tax credit, bumpy ride (test drove with Gemini wheels)

Mach-E:

Pros: Exterior and interior styling, fast, techy, ride quality is great.
Cons: Ford's first real long range EV, battery warranty isn't as long as Teslas, no supercharger network.

Both: A wash - Autopilot and Ford's system are both good at highway driving.

It really comes down to tax credit, interior styling and fast charging network. If you need the fast charging network I'd buy the Tesla without looking at Ford. Yes, Ford will eventually get better with OTA but right now the Supercharging network is King. If you are on a budget, I'd get the Ford because it is very comparable to Tesla but you'll save $7500+ going with Ford. If you need physical buttons, Ford has those.

For me, I like both vehicles but I need physical buttons. I love the MY performance and looks but am not in need of the supercharger network. I like the Mach-E but don't like how this is their first real EV so reliability is in question. The tax credit is very nice too. I'm torn.

Reactions: house9
Model for model the Mach E is priced about $5,000 higher, so you don't save $7,500 over the Y with the credit. If the NJ rebate comes back next summer as promised, my choosing the $54,700 MSRP AWD LR Mach E would have to be no options and base paint color to stay in the game.

I hope the "bumpy ride" above statement refers to the performance Y, regardless the handling of the Y, performance or LR, is rated much better.

The MachE is a decent vehicle. I looked one over in person. I like the exterior. The interior didn’t look that great to me. The display in front of the wheel looks cheap. So no, I don’t agree with having a cheap looking part is better than no part. But If Tesla didn’t exist and I didn’t have 20+ years of Ford “quality” with 3 vehicles and that supposed “wonderful” dealership experience with sales and service, I’d consider it.

However, what a lot of people fail to take into account is the joy of driving an EV like a Tesla (or even a Mach E). Before buying my Tesla, I preferred to fly. Now I prefer to drive and take road trips. Hell, I even look forward to going to the store now just so I have an excuse to drive. The supercharger network makes long distance trips enjoyable as well. Granted, not as fast as gas, but still very reasonable (AND RELIABLE) especially when timed with food stops. But if I had to fart around with that EA network, I would not enjoy the road trips. I would always be concerned about the next stop. And most other EVs are pretty darn expensive for a town commuter only.

People on here that are going gaga over the Mach e have had it, what, a handful of weeks or not even received it yet? Let alone most haven’t actually really USED their vehicle for a decent trip. Let’s see how you feel after a couple years. That EA network will not be to supercharger level quality for quite some time yet. Hopefully will at some point and I would like a Tesla CCS adapter to use for their network (even though I have never needed it. Just nice to have many charging options if easy to do). In the meantime, people seriously do not put enough emphasis on the Tesla supercharger network.

Now of course some on here will say that doesn’t matter to them. And that’s fine. Enjoy other EVs. I’m just glad it’s one less gas car on the road.

Here is a video worth watching dealing with the charging network.

Last edited:
Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.
Tesla manufactures in China FOR Chinese consumption. They do not import Chinese made cars to US

How is this even a discussion 😂? The Mach E is no where near the Tesla - not by a long shot. Every review that compares the two always sides with the MY. The supercharger network, performance, style, and much more is far superior then what Ford is offering.
Have you driven a Mach-E? I've driven both and they each have their positives and negatives. It's really subjective though on what you prefer in an EV. Some people don't need the supercharger network (me) but want a traditional interior. Others need the network and like the minimalistic design.

Have you driven a Mach-E? I've driven both and they each have their positives and negatives. It's really subjective though on what you prefer in an EV. Some people don't need the supercharger network (me) but want a traditional interior. Others need the network and like the minimalistic design.
I’m not a Mustang fanboy, not a huge Ford guy. I do love the current/last 10 years of what they’ve made though. I also really like how when the rest of the world was taking hand outs during the Great Recession, Ford refused government assistance and kept on keepin on! That is awesome and I will always have tremendous respect for Ford because of that.

But, making an electric utility vehicle and branding after the beloved classic pony car was a cheap move. They could have called it the Ford Proton for example... using the familiar style and name of the Mustang just doesn’t sit well with me. My father had an old Mach-1 and he would spin in his grave if I told him Ford made an electric sport ute and branded it not only after the Mustang, but after the Mach trim. Cheap.

I have driven it, and yes I’ll agree it’s the closest any other brand has come to replicating Tesla’s charm. But I also noticed where they cut corners too. I’m just not a fan, and that decision was made before I bought my MY. It’s just not for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla manufactures in China FOR Chinese consumption. They do not import Chinese made cars to US
Ford is 100% designated as an American manufacturer. Their headquarters are in Detroit for god’s sake! A lot of manufacturers outsource or have certain parts and/or vehicles manufactured in Mexico. It doesn’t make them a non-American brand. It just makes them produce a lesser car. Still an American car though.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Ford is 100% designated as an American manufacturer. Their headquarters are in Detroit for god’s sake! A lot of manufacturers outsource or have certain parts and/or vehicles manufactured in Mexico. It doesn’t make them a non-American brand. It just makes them produce a lesser car. Still an American car though.
I think where it’s made is more important than where it’s designed (at least for the American worker’s sake).

Reactions: MP3Mike and house9
I’m not a Mustang fanboy, not a huge Ford guy. I do love the current/last 10 years of what they’ve made though. I also really like how when the rest of the world was taking hand outs during the Great Recession, Ford refused government assistance and kept on keepin on! That is awesome and I will always have tremendous respect for Ford because of that.

you sure Ford refused Government assistance? Thought they took a lot of money and still owe them.
Ford took $6B government loan in 2009 — and debt still haunts company