Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll spell it out for you. Some of the mouth-breathers here were claiming Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico.
I think you misunderstood them. It wasn't that they didn't consider Ford an American manufacturer, it was that they don't consider the Ford Mach-E as American made because it is assembled in Mexico. (And this really only related to the proposed EV tax credit where an additional $2,500 would be granted for EVs assembled in the US.)

To the person considering Mach E — go drive one. Keep it overnight, run the battery hard and charge to full.

let us know, I’m really intrigued by it but very skeptical getting into a 1st run vehicle as so much will improve within the next few years on it. I have my personal doubts it would stack up to Tesla as is but I’d love to hear your input after research.

Reactions: Daekwan
To the person considering Mach E — go drive one. Keep it overnight, run the battery hard and charge to full.

let us know, I’m really intrigued by it but very skeptical getting into a 1st run vehicle as so much will improve within the next few years on it. I have my personal doubts it would stack up to Tesla as is but I’d love to hear your input after research.
Says the guy in the 2020 MYP ;)

(I know, it shares a lot of components with the M3, it was just funny to me)

Says the guy in the 2020 MYP ;)

(I know, it shares a lot of components with the M3, it was just funny to me)
I meant more that this is Ford’s first EV. Tesla has a lot more experience so maybe smart to let Ford work out the bugs for a year or so. That car is going to get a whole lot better quickly and hopefully becomes a viable alternative to Tesla (to force Tesla to up their game)

I rented one for 2 days from Turo. It was a premium AWD extended range battery... Drove it for 418 miles across the 2 days and drove it an all sorts of roads. I have to say, comparing it to our June 2021 build Model Y, it felt like any other ford but it was electric. For those who want an ev but don't like tesla styling or the minimalist style or everything on the screen way of a tesla and just a decent EV I'd actually say go for it especially since you can get the tax credit. If you want it to be your only car and do road trips, wait. That is the reason I went with ordering a 2nd Y as my personal daily driver instead of the Mach-E. There wasn't anything interesting about the drive where the Y it just feels "fun". I do a lot of miles for work and need the supercharging network at least once a week. Once ford gets the OTA updates figured out and the 3rd party level 3 charging gets worked out, it will be a great car.

On a side note, my husband thought the seats had serious lack of support in the front and overall thought it was too "bouncy" in the back compared to the Model Y. I do agree with the front seats not feeling supportive. for only 6,000 miles on the clock and 6 months the seat bottom to me definitely had the 150k mile under a very large man's bottom flat feel.

I meant more that this is Ford’s first EV. Tesla has a lot more experience so maybe smart to let Ford work out the bugs for a year or so. That car is going to get a whole lot better quickly and hopefully becomes a viable alternative to Tesla (to force Tesla to up their game)
Sorry... not Ford's first EV. I'm pretty sure I leased the very first Focus Electric in Phoenix metro about 9 years ago. The car actually performed very well and was built well, but only had a 90 mile range (varying due to driving style and degrade over the 3 yr term). So don't be so worried about Ford taking on the full EV aspect with the Mach E.

Having said that, I also had the same dilemma of Tesla MYLR or Ford Mach E Premium. Given I'm a big Ford fan and also a tech entrepreneur - it was a tough decision. But after driving the Model Y this past weekend and experiencing the software with an incredible user experience - I decided to order the Model Y LR.

The Mach E will certainly be cheaper with the federal tax credit. I personally think it will be built very well. No worries about the EV aspect of it. But I don't think the user/driver experience with their software will top where Tesla is at currently with theirs. Plus the supercharger network is way beyond any standard EV network.

Sorry... not Ford's first EV. I'm pretty sure I leased the very first Focus Electric in Phoenix metro about 9 years ago. The car actually performed very well and was built well, but only had a 90 mile range (varying due to driving style and degrade over the 3 yr term). So don't be so worried about Ford taking on the full EV aspect with the Mach E.

Having said that, I also had the same dilemma of Tesla MYLR or Ford Mach E Premium. Given I'm a big Ford fan and also a tech entrepreneur - it was a tough decision. But after driving the Model Y this past weekend and experiencing the software with an incredible user experience - I decided to order the Model Y LR.
That makes sense, I remember driving the Y home for the first time and being blown away by how well put together the user interface was. I really liked it immediately.

How well it was put together ? Seriously?

have you taken one apart to put in any mods ? It’s a million plastic push pins lol. You can take it apart with your fingernail.

but I still think it’s better than Ford’s first real EV to challenge Tesla so I would stick with but watch the others close. In a few years they may close the gap but not yet.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
Agree completely. It’s extremely difficult (if not impossible) for a legacy company to reinvent itself (even for a technology company. For example, look at IBM now).
Musk has said that manufacturing is a much more difficult and complicated than design, and tesla has certainly had their issues in that regard. Ford has decades of history in manufacturing. That may be an advantage or it may be a drag on Ford, depending on how you look at it.

I think you miss the real implication. Complicated design and unnecessary components are going to break more often and very difficult to fix (if possible at all). Not to mention the added weight (which cuts down the range).
This is a significant consideration. Good design involves a lot of things including final performance, durability and failure rate, ease of manufacturing, cost of manufacturing and ease of repair. The more steps and difficulty involved in assembling a part, the more likely it is there will be a failure at some point In that process. Additional, unnecessary parts can add more potential failure points, but a poor design that doesn‘t have enough parts or strength to last isn’t good, either.

Product engineering intrinsically involves compromises and tradeoffs but some are better at the Process than others.

Ford has decades of history in manufacturing.
Don’t mean Jack squat to me. My Ford Escape after 3 years started rusting over rear wheel wells. Known issue as at least 50% have this issue due to improper draining. Ford did nothing.

After 4 years, the transmission started acting up.

Before that, the Mercury had major transmission issues way too early.

How well it was put together ? Seriously?

have you taken one apart to put in any mods ? It’s a million plastic push pins lol. You can take it apart with your fingernail.

but I still think it’s better than Ford’s first real EV to challenge Tesla so I would stick with but watch the others close. In a few years they may close the gap but not yet.
Have you taken apart other cars? There’s a million plastic ‘push pins’ (actually push grommets) in them, too. I took the bumper off our Odyssey. Guess what it was held on with?

Your derision gets rather tiresome. Not everything needs to be assembled with a gold-plated titanium screw. Plastic push pins are perfect for many interior cosmetic trim panels, but not for holding the tires on. 21mm lug nuts are perfect for holding your tires on but overkill and a waste for securing the glove box.

In many cases, plastic connectors are cheaper, lighter, quicker and easier to use while still performing perfectly adequately. That translates to a better value for the consumer.

Ford has decades of history in manufacturing. That may be an advantage or it may be a drag on Ford, depending on how you look at it.

Don’t mean Jack squat to me. My Ford Escape after 3 years started rusting over rear wheel wells. Known issue as at least 50% have this issue due to improper draining. Ford did nothing.

After 4 years, the transmission started acting up.

Before that, the Mercury had major transmission issues way too early.
I added back a relevant part that you omitted.

Have you taken apart other cars? There’s a million plastic ‘push pins’ (actually push grommets) in them, too. I took the bumper off our Odyssey. Guess what it was held on with?

Your derision gets rather tiresome. Not everything needs to be assembled with a gold-plated titanium screw. Plastic push pins are perfect for many interior cosmetic trim panels, but not for holding the tires on. 21mm lug nuts are perfect for holding your tires on but overkill and a waste for securing the glove box.

In many cases, plastic connectors are cheaper, lighter, quicker and easier to use while still performing perfectly adequately. That translates to a better value for the consumer.
What's funny is that I thought he was talking about the Ford with that push pins remark. They all do that stuff now, and the Munro videos really illustrate why. It can make assembly much easier, even though I personally find them to be a pain to take apart without breaking.

I didnt think reliability was what you were referring to when you made that second statement. I thought it was more in relation to ability to change from ICE to EV.
it was 'all of the above' - they've already developed systems for assembly, saving them the work, but they also may be encumbered by the liabilities of those systems. There's a potential benefit to a newcomer like Tesla rethinking these systems from scratch, it just comes with a significant development cost.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I know most buyers don't care, but for those of us that do, the Mach-E AWD Extended is rated at 90empg combined, while the Y Long-range AWD is rated at 125empg. That's a pretty significant difference that affects range, charging times AND fuel costs.

This. It also affects total emissions given most owners are not charging on renewable energy alone. Efficiency is still important in EVs if any part of your decision is eco-consciousness, because more efficiency = less power per mile = less emissions per mile, just like an ICE vehicle. No manufacturer is anywhere close to Tesla efficiency...

Not quite true...
The 2014-2016 BMW i3 was rated at 124 MPGe, and although they progressively lost a bit over the years due to the extra weight of the larger battery packs, a 2021 with the largest pack is still pretty close at 113 MPGe. The Hyundai Kona Electric is 120 MPGe as well.