Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mach e is made in Mexico-be American, buy American (USA)

So I guess we should buy a made in USA:

Honda
Subaru
Huyndai
BMW
Mercedes
VW
Kia
Toyota?

Hmm, Toyota Tundras are made in TX. Should I buy one of those vs. a TX edition Silverado 1500 made outside of TX?

You say buy American, but what do you mean? American made? Or American home company? This statement can no longer be made very easily.

Curious to see how many made in China products are in your house. Do you check labels on clothing, other durable goods, TV's, phones, etc?

From: Detroit Free Press, 2019 Where Detroit automakers build vehicles sold in the US

US Automaker plants:

General Motors

1 Arlington U.S. GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe SUVs
2 Bowling Green U.S. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray/Z06/Grandsport and ZR1 sports cars. Engines: LT1, LT4, and LT5
3 Detroit-Hamtramck U.S. Cadillac CT6 and Chevrolet Impala until Jan. 2020
4 Fairfax U.S. Cadillac XT4 compact SUVC and Chevrolet Malibu sedan
5 Flint U.S. Heavy Duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra regular and crew cab pickups; light-duty Silverado and Sierra regular and crew cab
6 Fort Wayne U.S. GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado light duty and heavy duty pickups
7 Lansing Delta Township U.S. Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse SUVs
8 Lansing Grand River U.S. Cadillac ATS sedan until end of June, CTS sedan, Chevy Camaro car and the new Cadillac CT5 sedan due to market this fall
9 Lordstown, Ohio U.S. Idled (Chevrolet Cruze compact car discontinued)
10 Orion in Lake Orion, Mich. U.S. Chevrolet Sonic, Bolt electric, Cruise AV test vehicles and new electric car coming
11 Spring Hill, Tenn. U.S. Cadillac XT5, XT6 and GMC Acadia SUVs
12 Wentzville, MO U.S. Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon mid-size pickups; Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans
13 Oshawa, Ontario Canada Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala sedans – to be idled this summer. 2018 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups into fourth quarter
14 Ramos Arizpe Mexico Chevroet Equinox and Chevrolet Blazer SUVs
15 San Luis Potosi Mexico Chevrolet Equinox, Trax and Terrain SUVs
16 Silao Mexico Light-duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra crew-cab pickups
17 Bupyong South Korea Buick Encore and Chevrolet Trax compact SUVs
18 Russelsheim Germany Buick Regal TourX and Regal Sportback cars
43 CAMI Automotive Assembly Canada Chevrolet Equinox

FCA

19 Belvidere Assembly, Ill. U.S. Jeep Cherokee SUV
20 Jefferson North Assmby U.S. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, Dodge Durango SUVs
21 Sterling Heights Ass. U.S. 2019 RAM 1500 quad-cab and crew-cab pickups
22 Toledo Assembly Complex U.S. Being retooled to build Jeep Gladiator (south plant) and Jeep Wrangler (north plant)
23 Warren Truck Assembly U.S. RAM 1500 Classic quad-cab and crew-cab pickup
24 Brampton Assembly Canada Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger cars
25 Windsor Assembly Canada Chrysler Pacifica, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, Dodge Grand Caravan minivans
26 Saltillo Truck Assembly Mexico RAM 1500 classic regular cab; Ram 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500 heavy duty pickups
27 Saltillo Van Assembly Mexico Ram ProMaster van
28 Toluca Assembly Mexico Dodge Journey, Fiat Freemont and Jeep Compass SUVs and Fiat 500 compact car
29 Carabobo Assembly Venezuela Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

Ford

30 Wayne Assembly, Mich U.S. Ford Focus car and Ford Ranger pickup
31 Flat Rock U.S. Ford Mustang and Lincoln Continental
32 Chicago Assembly U.S. Ford Taurus sedan, Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator SUVs
33 Chennai Assembly-India India Ford EcoSport compact SUV
34 Louisville Assembly U.S. Ford Escape, Ford Expedition, Lincoln MKC, Lincoln Navigator SUVs and Ford Super Duty pickup
35 Dearborn Assembly, Mich U.S. Ford F-150 and Ford Raptor pickups
36 Avon Lake Assembly, Ohio U.S. Ford Super Duty pickup and F-650/F-750/E-Series van
37 Kansas City Assembly, Mo U.S. Ford Transit full-size van, Ford F-150 pickup
38 Oakville Assembly Canada Ford Edge, Ford Flex and Lincoln Nautilus SUVs
39 Markham Ontario Assembly Canada Ford GT sports car
40 Cuautitlan Stamping and Assembly Mexico Ford Fiesta compact car
41 Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Mexico Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ sedans
42 Valencia Assembly Spain Ford Transit Connect cargo van

Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.

Seriously.

Last edited:
You forgot Nissan, in TN..... Personally, I'd love to buy an American-made vehicle by an American company. Did that for a few years with minivans ('92 Dodge Grand Caravan, '99 Ford Windstar). But it's hard to tell what's 'American' these days, especially since many of the parts come from common suppliers throughout the world and are assembled in factories. It's great to have options on buying a car made by American workers, so it's supporting our economy from that perspective.

I had a Mach-E on order and decided to go with the Model Y when the standard range came out because the price difference was minimal at that point, plus I don't keep cars for too long and I am worried that I would essentially pay back the tax credit on the mach-e in the form of terrible resale value in a few years. At least Teslas have a known track record of strong resale value.

Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.
You forgot Nissan, in TN..... Personally, I'd love to buy an American-made vehicle by an American company. Did that for a few years with minivans ('92 Dodge Grand Caravan, '99 Ford Windstar). But it's hard to tell what's 'American' these days, especially since many of the parts come from common suppliers throughout the world and are assembled in factories. It's great to have options on buying a car made by American workers, so it's supporting our economy from that perspective.

You're right, I did. Sorry I can't edit my post.

I think that the "Buy American" idea needs a lot more scrutiny. The are two components: whether the final product is assembled in the US and what is the percentage of the content of the vehicle that is also manufactured in the US. For vehicles, the first factor has to be tempered by the fact that automotive assembly lines are becoming more and more robotic in nature. The human labor component is becoming less and less important. A full analysis of the entire supply chain is warranted and that includes raw materials such as ores.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
A full analysis of the entire supply chain is warranted

This article is pretty good: https://www.cars.com/articles/the-c...de-index-which-cars-are-most-american-422711/

This is pre Model Y but Tesla has 3 in the top 10 from the list of 91 models

Code:
1. Ford Ranger (assembled in Wayne, Mich.)
2. Jeep Cherokee (Belvidere, Ill.)
3. Tesla Model S (Fremont, Calif.)
4. Tesla Model 3 (Fremont, Calif.)
5. Honda Odyssey (Lincoln, Ala.)
6. Honda Ridgeline (Lincoln, Ala.)
7. Honda Passport (Lincoln, Ala.)
8. Chevrolet Corvette (Bowling Green, Ky.)
9. Tesla Model X (Fremont, Calif.)
10. Chevrolet Colorado (Wentzville, Mo.)

For vehicles, the first factor has to be tempered by the fact that automotive assembly lines are becoming more and more robotic in nature. The human labor component is becoming less and less important.

True

Three months ago:

"After the Ranger, the automatic transmission version of the Chevrolet Camaro was the second vehicle with the most domestic content at 83 percent. The Corvette, along with the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon mid-size pickup trucks, tied for third place at 82 percent. The Jeep Cherokee Latitude Trailhawk tied for fourth place with 78.5 percent domestic content."

GM remains the brand with highest fleet % of domestic content.

The 10 vehicles with the most American content | Car News | Auto123

So I guess we should buy a made in USA:

Honda
Subaru
Huyndai
BMW
Mercedes
VW
Kia
Toyota?

Hmm, Toyota Tundras are made in TX. Should I buy one of those vs. a TX edition Silverado 1500 made outside of TX?

You say buy American, but what do you mean? American made? Or American home company? This statement can no longer be made very easily.
Well, in this case it's pretty easy. American company and the car at minimum assembled in the USA (you can optionally add percentage of American parts content too, which someone else gave a link that Tesla ranks high in also). So if you want to "buy American," you really can't go wrong buying from Tesla in the USA.

It's also easy to see why that person that got push back when he mentioned there are Teslas made in China. Those are for the Chinese market and from what I see, that also plays a factor in their purchase (it's a source of national pride to buy a product made in China).

Buying American just to buy American makes no sense to me. I buy what I feel is the best product I can afford. If it’s an American made product, great. If it’s a foreign product, that means the American companies making similar products need to step up and do better and until they do I will buy the foreign product and never look back.

I had a MachE GT on order and I love the look of the car and the speeds. The $7500 rebate was enticing as well. However, I'm a tech guy and the software is what makes the Tesla appealing to me. Ford doesn't seem to come close in this department. I was able to sit in one of the MachE's (crazy they don't have test drives yet) and I felt like I was in a standard vehicle that simply happened to be an EV. When I test drove a Tesla I felt like I was sitting in the future. I refunded my deposit for the MachE and ordered a Model S earlier this month. I don't think I'll regret the move as a tech enthusiast!

Yeah, hard to tell if those are EA problems or Mach E Problems. Neither is good, though.

Both most likely. There are a couple of long videos of long drives in a Porsche Taycan, one from the Florida Keys to New York to see if it could take advantage of EA's new 350 kw charging stations. The videos are long, like 1 1/2 hours, but interesting. Despite both the vehicle and the charging network being VW products, they couldn't get anywhere near that, and once they got to New York the nav system flaked out and couldn't figure out the car's location. They advertise over the air updates but the car had to go to the dealer for the software update.

Makes one appreciate how well Tesla has planned and executed their charging network and their vehicles. VW has invested something like $50 billion USD in electrification of their cars and will eventually get the bugs worked out but they, and Ford, and the others are still far behind.

Both most likely. There are a couple of long videos of long drives in a Porsche Taycan, one from the Florida Keys to New York to see if it could take advantage of EA's new 350 kw charging stations. The videos are long, like 1 1/2 hours, but interesting. Despite both the vehicle and the charging network being VW products, they couldn't get anywhere near that, and once they got to New York the nav system flaked out and couldn't figure out the car's location. They advertise over the air updates but the car had to go to the dealer for the software update.

Makes one appreciate how well Tesla has planned and executed their charging network and their vehicles. VW has invested something like $50 billion USD in electrification of their cars and will eventually get the bugs worked out but they, and Ford, and the others are still far behind.
Huh, wonder if that was the same Taycan the guys who set the new Canonball record had. Their nav was convinced the car was in Ohio the entire trip.