Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Audi Q5 was made in Mexico, my Q3 was made in Hungary, both good quality, but no American workers made a dime. When I buy anything, however, where its made is pretty low on the decision factor list.

What is interesting is that Biden has promised to restore the FULL federal credit for cars MADE IN AMERICA (good for Tesla) possibly a lesser credit for those made elsewhere (not so good for Mach E). If this bothers you, this forum is not the place to complain. Make your views known to your reps and the White House.

My Audi Q5 was made in Mexico, my Q3 was made in Hungary, both good quality, but no American workers made a dime. When I buy anything, however, where its made is pretty low on the decision factor list.

What is interesting is that Biden has promised to restore the FULL federal credit for cars MADE IN AMERICA (good for Tesla) possibly a lesser credit for those made elsewhere (not so good for Mach E). If this bothers you, this forum is not the place to complain. Make your views known to your reps and the White House.

hmm any links all I found is Post-Stimulus Electric Car Tax Credit Backers Looking to Biden

? Any congress proposals or exec. order? I might delay my Y purchase depending on ETA

Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.
Agree! Cars are made globally. Even in a Tesla you will find parts made offshore. What matters to me is where the profits go. In the case of Ford its USA

We all have our own views on this. I believe that American companies that produce cars for the American market, but produced elsewhere, are doing a disservice to American workers. i appreciate foreign Companies that build cars for the American market, here. I understand that the auto business is global, but a bit of loyalty to our own workforce would not be out of order. Tesla proves that American workers can build cars profitably in Fremont, batteries in Nevada and solar products in Buffalo.

I'm sure Chines customers are happy to buy Teslas built by Chinese workers. I'm sure Europeans will appreciate Berlin produced Teslas. I'm doubly sure that I will be pleased to but a Texas built Tesla built with American workers in the largest factory in the world.

Reactions: house9
I had a MachE GT on order and I love the look of the car and the speeds. The $7500 rebate was enticing as well. However, I'm a tech guy and the software is what makes the Tesla appealing to me. Ford doesn't seem to come close in this department. I was able to sit in one of the MachE's (crazy they don't have test drives yet) and I felt like I was in a standard vehicle that simply happened to be an EV. When I test drove a Tesla I felt like I was sitting in the future. I refunded my deposit for the MachE and ordered a Model S earlier this month. I don't think I'll regret the move as a tech enthusiast!

Me too and I purchased a Y. About 95 days in so far. I have/had the same thought on the tech piece. But the more I read about the Mach E, the more I wonder if I made the right choice. Terrible cell phone integration on the Y; I have grown to dislike the lack of buttons, in particular as I have to deal with the wipers a lot since the auto wiper function is also bad.

The Y has a great app, not sure how it compares with what Ford is doing with the Mach E.

So for how I driive/use the car, is the Y better for me? My local Ford dealer is supposed to get their demo in soon, I'm going to check it out...

Is there anyone here that is trading their Tesla for Mach-E? I think the demo that's buying a Mach-E would probably not be buying a Tesla to begin with. It's probably for those F150 buyers who wants a "sports" grocery car or those Tesla-haters' way to get into EV without eating their own words.

I might be in that camp. I had a Mach E reserved. Decided that I didn't want to wait and also felt that Ford would need to get some updates to the vehicle. Took delivery of our Y on 11/1/20. After 95 days, have to say - I may make a change later in the year.

I've grown tired of the terrible cell phone integration, bad wipers, and the lack of buttons. Obviously I knew about the latter and figured it would be OK. Not so sure now. I am one of those F150 (Raptor) owners who has had a number of Fords. No hate here for Tesla, but I feel like I have had to make some compromises by having the Y. I should add that I do not have FSD and that capability is not important to me.

The SC network also seemed to be an advantage, but the reality for me has been that the range in winter is almost 50% of what it was in early November. So much so that for a trip to a neighboring city (Rochester to N. Falls,), it has required a super charging stop to make it home. Is that better with the Mach E? - no likely not, but I think that we'll now use the Raptor for any trips over 60 miles each way in the winter. I didn't realize the range drop would be that severe.

So based on what we know now, the EV is going to be used for local driving vs. road trips. That pretty much negates the SC advantage.

We'll see, but the good news is i can likely step out of the Y, into a Mach E for $0 and maybe it'll even be positive given the Fed and State tax credits.

I might be in that camp. I had a Mach E reserved. Decided that I didn't want to wait and also felt that Ford would need to get some updates to the vehicle. Took delivery of our Y on 11/1/20. After 95 days, have to say - I may make a change later in the year.

I've grown tired of the terrible cell phone integration, bad wipers, and the lack of buttons. Obviously I knew about the latter and figured it would be OK. Not so sure now. I am one of those F150 (Raptor) owners who has had a number of Fords. No hate here for Tesla, but I feel like I have had to make some compromises by having the Y. I should add that I do not have FSD and that capability is not important to me.

The SC network also seemed to be an advantage, but the reality for me has been that the range in winter is almost 50% of what it was in early November. So much so that for a trip to a neighboring city (Rochester to N. Falls,), it has required a super charging stop to make it home. Is that better with the Mach E? - no likely not, but I think that we'll now use the Raptor for any trips over 60 miles each way in the winter. I didn't realize the range drop would be that severe.

So based on what we know now, the EV is going to be used for local driving vs. road trips. That pretty much negates the SC advantage.

We'll see, but the good news is i can likely step out of the Y, into a Mach E for $0 and maybe it'll even be positive given the Fed and State tax credits.

Im guessing your one SC stop takes maybe 15 mins max to top off.

is that really terribly inconvenient?

Mach-E doesn't have a heat pump, so keep that in mind for cold weather trips.

I guess I'm lucky my winter "inefficiency" hasn't really impacted me much. My short trips are still 220-250 wh/mi and highway drives are around 270 whi. My overall wh/mi since December 1st has been 260 wh/mi. I boil down the 350+ wh/mi to people that 1) don't precondition, 2) drive very aggressive and other smaller factors.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Mach-E doesn't have a heat pump, so keep that in mind for cold weather trips.

I guess I'm lucky my winter "inefficiency" hasn't really impacted me much. My short trips are still 220-250 wh/mi and highway drives are around 270 whi. My overall wh/mi since December 1st has been 260 wh/mi. I boil down the 350+ wh/mi to people that 1) don't precondition, 2) drive very aggressive and other smaller factors.

I'm still surprised at the drop. We precondition and set charge to 90%. This route is mostly NYS Thruway (I-90) and speeds were kept around 70mph. Non-aggressive acceleration (wife driving, I'm a different story...). Heat kept around 68. Outside temps in the 30 and 40's. Wonder what they would be this week when we expecting single digit temps.

Understood on the lack of heat pump in the Mach E.

I'm still surprised at the drop. We precondition and set charge to 90%. This route is mostly NYS Thruway (I-90) and speeds were kept around 70mph. Non-aggressive acceleration (wife driving, I'm a different story...). Heat kept around 68. Outside temps in the 30 and 40's. Wonder what they would be this week when we expecting single digit temps.

Understood on the lack of heat pump in the Mach E.
Is it typically windy in your area? I've noticed when winds are 10-15 mph with gusts up to 20+, my efficiency tanks and goes from 270 wh/mi on the highway to 350 wh/mi after 30 miles, but then settles down to around 310 wh/mi (overall on the drive) once I'm off the highway and doing 55 mph.

Is it typically windy in your area? I've noticed when winds are 10-15 mph with gusts up to 20+, my efficiency tanks and goes from 270 wh/mi on the highway to 350 wh/mi after 30 miles, but then settles down to around 310 wh/mi (overall on the drive) once I'm off the highway and doing 55 mph.

I would say 10 to 15 mph is not uncommon here in the winter. I'll have to note that the next time. I think that was our first road trip challenge after picking up the Y in Mt. Kisco and driving back home (319 miles). We had to SC twice to make it back - mid to high 40's, rainy and some wind. Home with 20% or so after our 2nd SC stop. And of course not so easy on the pedal for that first journey. :)

I would say 10 to 15 mph is not uncommon here in the winter. I'll have to note that the next time. I think that was our first road trip challenge after picking up the Y in Mt. Kisco and driving back home (319 miles). We had to SC twice to make it back - mid to high 40's, rainy and some wind. Home with 20% or so after our 2nd SC stop. And of course not so easy on the pedal for that first journey. :)
haha yeah, the first 2 months of ownership, I was pretty aggressive with the acceleration. Once I drove normal again, my efficiency went from 290-295 and eventually dropped down to 245 wh/mi, then creeped back up when the colder temps settled in. My overall wh/mi efficiency is 262 since picking the car up June 2020.

if you keep an eye on the Mach-E forums you'll be able to get an idea of MME efficiency in colder climates. Due to the weight, coefficient drag, and lack of a heat pump, I don't think it'll be very good. In your conditions, I would expect the MME to be 400-420 wh/mi whereas the Y would be around 350 wh/mi. Ford just gets more range by brute force with the 88.8 kWh pack.

haha yeah, the first 2 months of ownership, I was pretty aggressive with the acceleration. Once I drove normal again, my efficiency went from 290-295 and eventually dropped down to 245 wh/mi, then creeped back up when the colder temps settled in. My overall wh/mi efficiency is 262 since picking the car up June 2020.

if you keep an eye on the Mach-E forums you'll be able to get an idea of MME efficiency in colder climates. Due to the weight, coefficient drag, and lack of a heat pump, I don't think it'll be very good. In your conditions, I would expect the MME to be 400-420 wh/mi whereas the Y would be around 350 wh/mi. Ford just gets more range by brute force with the 88.8 kWh pack.

You might be right about the MME. I'll be watching those forums to see how it's going. My point is really that I now "get" the drop in range in cold climates and will pick the vehicle for that trip accordingly. We'll be using our EV (whether it be a Y or if we move to the MME) closer to home when it's colder out. Most of our driving is local anyway. Negates that advantage of the SC network in our particular case.

Reactions: pt19713
Me too and I purchased a Y. About 95 days in so far. I have/had the same thought on the tech piece. But the more I read about the Mach E, the more I wonder if I made the right choice. Terrible cell phone integration on the Y; I have grown to dislike the lack of buttons, in particular as I have to deal with the wipers a lot since the auto wiper function is also bad.

The Y has a great app, not sure how it compares with what Ford is doing with the Mach E.

So for how I driive/use the car, is the Y better for me? My local Ford dealer is supposed to get their demo in soon, I'm going to check it out...

Voice control is your friend, particularly handy when it comes to the wipers.

Mach Es are on hold right now anyway, qc issues + Ford has been bitten hard by the worldwide chip shortage, cutting 2 out of 3 shifts in US facility, stop in Mexico, Canada and South Korea factories. The chip shortage is expected to last into the third quarter and is estimated to cost the worldwide automotive industry $61 billion USD in the first two quarters.

Last edited:
Reactions: house9
Be nice if the auto sense wipers just worked......
I wouldn't hate the Tesla auto wiper system if they had controls on a stalk. But yeah, one of my pain points. The voice command system is too slow, too. I can't see "wiper speed 1" but instead "windshield wiper speed 1." It doesn't seem to recognize the former. I find it faster just to do a quick push on the left button to get a quick wipe and not the wiper fluid, instead of going through the menu.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X