Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't hate the Tesla auto wiper system if they had controls on a stalk. But yeah, one of my pain points. The voice command system is too slow, too. I can't see "wiper speed 1" but instead "windshield wiper speed 1." It doesn't seem to recognize the former. I find it faster just to do a quick push on the left button to get a quick wipe and not the wiper fluid, instead of going through the menu.

That's what I do now with the quick push of the button. Annoying though.

I'm still surprised at the drop. We precondition and set charge to 90%. This route is mostly NYS Thruway (I-90) and speeds were kept around 70mph. Non-aggressive acceleration (wife driving, I'm a different story...). Heat kept around 68. Outside temps in the 30 and 40's. Wonder what they would be this week when we expecting single digit temps.

Understood on the lack of heat pump in the Mach E.
Those conditions should not make very much difference on your range. Was there rain or snow involved? Hi winds perhaps? Is your tire pressure low? Something or other was not right.

Both my S and my 3 would see less than a 10% range reduction in these conditions on a highway drive and neither of them has a heat pump. Driving around town with multiple stops would be a different story (more range reduction due to cold and limited regen) but those are usually short range anyway so it doesn't matter.

Those conditions should not make very much difference on your range. Was there rain or snow involved? Hi winds perhaps? Is your tire pressure low? Something or other was not right.

Both my S and my 3 would see less than a 10% range reduction in these conditions on a highway drive and neither of them has a heat pump. Driving around town with multiple stops would be a different story (more range reduction due to cold and limited regen) but those are usually short range anyway so it doesn't matter.

It was clear - might have been a bit of wind, which is fairly standard this time of year. Tire pressure at 42. Radio on, seat heaters typically on the 2nd level. The range drop we have experienced has been pretty consistent with multiple trips taken.

It was clear - might have been a bit of wind, which is fairly standard this time of year. Tire pressure at 42. Radio on, seat heaters typically on the 2nd level. The range drop we have experienced has been pretty consistent with multiple trips taken.
I always use 45 psi pressure but that's not very different from 42. Did you check the pressure at the cold temperature? Both my cars are lower profile than the Y so maybe it's just that much worse with the higher air density at cold temperatures for the taller vehicle. Seems surprising to me. If that (extra drag due to air density) is the culprit, one strategy that could help is drafting behind a larger vehicle - even at 5 car lengths behind it can be quite helpful at 70 MPH.

I always use 45 psi pressure but that's not very different from 42. Did you check the pressure at the cold temperature? Both my cars are lower profile than the Y so maybe it's just that much worse with the higher air density at cold temperatures for the taller vehicle. Seems surprising to me. If that (extra drag due to air density) is the culprit, one strategy that could help is drafting behind a larger vehicle - even at 5 car lengths behind it can be quite helpful at 70 MPH.

Yes, checked pressure when the temps got colder and before driving. I don't do this daily of course but am pretty confident with the current PSI in the tires. Thanks for the tip - we'lll keep experimenting. All new to us....

I wouldn't hate the Tesla auto wiper system if they had controls on a stalk. But yeah, one of my pain points. The voice command system is too slow, too. I can't see "wiper speed 1" but instead "windshield wiper speed 1." It doesn't seem to recognize the former. I find it faster just to do a quick push on the left button to get a quick wipe and not the wiper fluid, instead of going through the menu.

If you say "wipers on low" it works just fine, don't need to say "windshield" at all, just tried it again to make sure I was remembering correctly. Same with "wipers off," "wipers on medium" and "wipers on high."

Seems to be pretty functional to me. What specifically do you find it lacks?

The ability to not stink, like many have pointed out. Things like it not wiping when the windshield is covered in raindrops and you can't see out of it need to be fixed -- and wiping at full speed when there's only a light drizzle on the windshield.

I am glad you think it's ok. That makes it easier for you and Tesla.

I've driven in rain, can't see out the window, yet the wiper doesn't activate. Plenty of others have mentioned how bad the auto wipers are, so we aren't the only ones. I've given up on the auto control, but even the low speed is a bit fast for some situations, so I end up doing the quick mist.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
The ability to not stink, like many have pointed out. Things like it not wiping when the windshield is covered in raindrops and you can't see out of it need to be fixed -- and wiping at full speed when there's only a light drizzle on the windshield.

I am glad you think it's ok. That makes it easier for you and Tesla.

Agree with all of this. The auto function sucks.

Don't forget the scenario where the wipers constantly wipe a dry windshield because they left a little residue over the camera when clearing it. Great for wiper longevity!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Big Ford Fan. Contemplated waiting for the Mach E but the Model Y was ready and proven. Also the supercharger network was a big deal as I make long road trips. Plus it was the wifes car and she didn't want another "Mustang".
I can't believe we haven't talked about the Mach E 1400. Great advertising, or something...

Reactions: 2101Guy
Big Ford Fan. Contemplated waiting for the Mach E but the Model Y was ready and proven. Also the supercharger network was a big deal as I make long road trips. Plus it was the wifes car and she didn't want another "Mustang".
I can't believe we haven't talked about the Mach E 1400. Great advertising, or something...

Sounds exactly like me. But here I am 3+ months in looking really hard at switching to an MME. The Y's shortcomings are starting to drive me crazy. I don't have the road trip need that you do though - we'll just take the Raptor. :)

Thank you all very much for all the info and to everyone who posted.

Got to test drive a Mach-E on Thursday, placed my order for one today. First time ever driving an EV, incredible vehicle, it did not disappoint. Am sure the Model y would’ve been a great choice too. Will certainly never buy another ICE car :)

Reactions: house9