Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh don’t get me wrong I love the videos it’s a bit over my head but super cool to see how complex these are and all the different ways manufacturers tackle the same goal. Does sound like Ford’s got some streamlining to do but I can’t see anything glaringly obvious.

Except that none of that will flow to the dealers. Dealerships are smart and there's a valid reason why they hate the transition to EVs. The current cost structure will simply not work in an EV world. My best guess is that dealerships will have to close/downsize, and will push those useless overly expensive warranties even harder.
Oh boy, I am still dreaming of that day to come true!! I ABSOLUTELY hate the dealership model and would be the first to celebrate if ALL the dealerships are closed and cars are serviced exclusively by car makers!!

Reactions: 73Bruin
Just stating that it seems like he isnt that much of a Ford fan. Lots of people who spent years working for a company and left arent fans of the company they left, believe it or not...

Anyway, very informative videos whatever his love or hate or total indifference for Ford may be. These videos would be even more helpful if they identified some glaring defect in the design, Im not concerned with the nitpicking details of why they added another part like a standoff to the bill of materials when it could of just been cast into the housing itself .. who knows why Ford did stuff like that there could be a million reasons .. spending time on big picture flaws would be more helpful to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
Yes we all know. But Does he work for Ford NOW ? No .. did he leave on his own terms ? Is he bitter towards Ford ? Dont know.

Just stating that it seems like he isnt that much of a Ford fan. Lots of people who spent years working for a company and left arent fans of the company they left, believe it or not...

Anyway, very informative videos whatever his love or hate for Ford may be.
Stop trying to spin some motive on him. It's a bad look. :rolleyes:

Reactions: laservet
I think you miss the real implication. Complicated design and unnecessary components are going to break more often and very difficult to fix (if possible at all). Not to mention the added weight (which cuts down the range).
I get the theory there, but too many bolts isn't what leads to that. And he just loves fragile plastic clips that aren't exactly a friend to disassembly and repair.

I'm just saying, noone should be picking their purchase based on details like this.

They are interesting though, and show a side of the industry that I've never been able to directly observe before.

Reactions: a2t2 and Tha_Ape
Stop trying to spin some motive on him. It's a bad look. :rolleyes:
Yes you got me I’m trying to spin a motive and make this guy who obviously knows the fine details of complicated electro mechanical assembly look bad. Heres ur badge

Now let’s see more substance from these tear downs. I’ve still got no idea if what fords done will be better or worse for me, the consumer.

Last edited:
Yes you got me I’m trying to spin a motive and make this guy who obviously knows the fine details of complicated electro mechanical assembly look bad. Heres ur badge

Now let’s see more substance from these tear downs. I’ve still got no idea if what fords done will be better or worse for me, the consumer.
How about 16 screws to hold two small boards together? A bit overdone don’t you think?

More expensive to build, more likely to fail, and heavier than necessary. His opinions are simply based on engineering not any ulterior motive.
So the latest from Munro (talking with Ford’s chief engineer)

So Ford rushed out their product. The only part (the motor) that Sandy liked came from outside vendors.
Now it’s obvious why Sandy thinks Tesla is years ahead, and that does not even include the FSD!

So the latest from Munro (talking with Ford’s chief engineer)

So Ford rushed out their product. The only part (the motor) that Sandy liked came from outside vendors.
Now it’s obvious why Sandy thinks Tesla is years ahead, and that does not even include the FSD!
Very cool video. Awesome that Ford is willing to participate in that, does Tesla send engineers to Munro to interview as well ? My take on this was Ford is a very conservative, safe company that prioritizes safety over tech (ie keeping parking pawl, keeping side view mirrors, ect..). They have also done as much parts sharing as possible - using proven cooling system architecture from Escape. Not necessarily a bad thing. Can it be improved upon ? Hell yes. Did they rush to get it to market to finally challenge Elon? Yes. As for outsourcing key component design that’s common, usually it’s better if they work more closely with Borg or LG on the design. They have more work to do on that rear motor design optimization but outsourcing isn’t a bad thing and most manufacturers do that in large extent. Not sure if Tesla does.

anyway I hope Ford continues to send engineers perhaps a bit more intimate with specifics next time to his show to be interviewed again. Would also love to see Tesla engineers called onto the carpet to answer lots of questions in same fashion. Very informative !

Very cool video. Awesome that Ford is willing to participate in that, does Tesla send engineers to Munro to interview as well ? My take on this was Ford is a very conservative, safe company that prioritizes safety over tech (ie keeping parking pawl, keeping side view mirrors, ect..). They have also done as much parts sharing as possible - using proven cooling system architecture from Escape. Not necessarily a bad thing. Can it be improved upon ? Hell yes. Did they rush to get it to market to finally challenge Elon? Yes. As for outsourcing key component design that’s common, usually it’s better if they work more closely with Borg or LG on the design. They have more work to do on that rear motor design optimization but outsourcing isn’t a bad thing and most manufacturers do that in large extent. Not sure if Tesla does.

anyway I hope Ford continues to send engineers perhaps a bit more intimate with specifics next time to his show to be interviewed again. Would also love to see Tesla engineers called onto the carpet to answer lots of questions in same fashion. Very informative !

I totally agree; Ford knows that they have significant catch-up to do. The good and bad news is that they have 100+ years of experience = inertia. They don't have the 'luxury' of starting with a clean slate; they must overcome tons of NIH mentality and too much in the parts bin that 'always worked before.' I think they will eventually get there; for their first vehicle it seems the Mach-e is pretty good. I also have to give them props for putting it out there by sending the engineer into a clearly biased environment.

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to decide between a Mustang Mach E and a Tesla model Y, and I was hoping to get an idea of the pros and cons of both.

The way I see it they are very comparable in terms of performance, perhaps small advantage to the Mach E but nothing significant, but the Mach- E is of course substantially cheaper with the $7500 tax credit.

The advantage I see for the model y is that would be able to get it almost immediately while would probably have to wait quite a while to get one while Ford works through their order backlog.
I mean they are both very good vehicles probably can’t go wrong with either but wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Thanks!
Before considering getting a Mach-E check out the warranty. For a 1st gen car, they sure are stingy on the warranty. Sure you qualify for all the rebates, but do they make up for any expected repairs after 3yrs? TESLA has a nice decent warranty.

You know Tesla is making vehicles in China currently, right? And that your argument makes zero sense.

Both are American manufacturers.
The China factory is to fill Asia and Europe orders. Bulk of all North America orders come out of the Fremont factory.

Tesla Factory | Tesla Canada

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jsight and glide
Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.
Tesla’s made in China fills orders for Asia and Europe. Fremont factory fills North America orders. Do your research.

what were your thoughts behind these two statements? The bullet points in between would indicate otherwise, in your own words. I can't say Mach-E is a better overall car cause I have not driven it... I do like the exterior design better than the MY.

But, I can argue MY is actually a the better crossover. Are you aware that the clearance of the Mach-E is lower than Model Y? Over cargo space of Mach-E is also less? So what features of a crossover did you think Mach-E have over MY?
Check the battery and drivetrain warranties too. Ford is not anywhere near Tesla’s warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: 73Bruin and glide
I guess I must have as well because I don’t think he did.
::Sigh::

I’ll spell it out for you. Some of the mouth-breathers here were claiming Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico.

These same people consider Tesla to be an American manufacturer. Yes they produce vehicles in the USA but they also produce vehicles in China. Why does it matter where they are delivered?

Both are American manufacturers that also build cars overseas. That’s all. One is no more or less “American” than the other. Got it now?