Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheap cars are assembled with a million plastic push pins, yes what is your point ?

These aren’t cheap cars lol. Yes I’ve taken many cars apart. Go look at how Porsche Audi BMW MB assemble body structure and interior. They do it right. Tesla is assembling their cars like a kellogs toy in comparison. Which is why you have all the body gap issues and interior rattles happening on brand new very expensive cars. Those plastic push pins might work for a while but they will fall
Apart and rattle eventually.

Pls don’t excuse poor build quality by saying cars half the price also have poor build quality. We’re talking about Tesla here not some other budget brand. Compare to Porsche or Audi.
Do they assemble with a million plastic push pins ??

I don’t care if their sub par assembly methods result in even more profit for them. You shouldn’t either, you should want a car that’s properly built for this amount of $$.

my rear carbon spoiler has been replaced by Tesla 4 times on a 1 year old car lol. Perfect example of the bs I’m talking about. It needs to be replaced again but I’m giving up on it. They just can’t build simple body structure in such a half ass way .. unless it’s for fanboys that see no
Wrong.

There seems to be some
weird dynamic going on in some threads on this forum where Tesla owners defend blatant issues by comparing whatever misgiving Tesla has done by comparing it to some lesser model.
I don’t get that. I bought a tesla And I want that to be better. Idgaf what some cheap other brand has done. It’s not relevant to the discussion since it’s usually a vehicle half the price.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to decide between a Mustang Mach E and a Tesla model Y, and I was hoping to get an idea of the pros and cons of both.

The way I see it they are very comparable in terms of performance, perhaps small advantage to the Mach E but nothing significant, but the Mach- E is of course substantially cheaper with the $7500 tax credit.

The advantage I see for the model y is that would be able to get it almost immediately while would probably have to wait quite a while to get one while Ford works through their order backlog.
I mean they are both very good vehicles probably can’t go wrong with either but wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Thanks!

I see it this way:
Tesla has over 10 years of perfecting the production EV.
Ford has about 1 year (little over 1?). Even Sandy Munro says it could be made much better.

And then all the reviews of other EV's from several sources. Bottom line, Tesla is by far the best, the others are years behind.
Heck, Nissan Leaf in production for 10 years, but is now near last in EV performance.

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to decide between a Mustang Mach E and a Tesla model Y, and I was hoping to get an idea of the pros and cons of both.

The way I see it they are very comparable in terms of performance, perhaps small advantage to the Mach E but nothing significant, but the Mach- E is of course substantially cheaper with the $7500 tax credit.

The advantage I see for the model y is that would be able to get it almost immediately while would probably have to wait quite a while to get one while Ford works through their order backlog.
I mean they are both very good vehicles probably can’t go wrong with either but wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Thanks!
Adding to everyone else’s comments. Tesla’s drive Tran and battery warranty is better than Ford. With a 1st Gen car, it has a higher probability of something major going wrong. It’s just depends on how $$$ are the problems and if the $7,500 will off set that and all the headaches.

I see it this way:
Tesla has over 10 years of perfecting the production EV.
Ford has about 1 year (little over 1?). Even Sandy Munro says it could be made much better.

@MontyFloyd while the Mach E is quite recent, technically Ford has been involved with electrification much longer than a year. Of course there have been hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of several models for quite some time, but they also sold an all-electric Focus from the 2012 to 2018(?) model years. Ford Focus Electric - Wikipedia. Granted, it wasn't great, but it was offered. :)

@MontyFloyd while the Mach E is quite recent, technically Ford has been involved with electrification much longer than a year. Of course there have been hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of several models for quite some time, but they also sold an all-electric Focus from the 2012 to 2018(?) model years. Ford Focus Electric - Wikipedia. Granted, it wasn't great, but it was offered. :)
Holy heck, barely over 10,000 units sold!
And I never heard of this too.

Then I am really disappointed the Mach-E was not better.

(the E F-150 looks like it is, though)

Reactions: vickh
Then I am really disappointed the Mach-E was not better.

(the E F-150 looks like it is, though)

@MontyFloyd honestly, the Mach-E isn't a bad vehicle. It has a lot going for it in terms of value, appearance, familiarity for people getting their first EV, etc. It's got some first-year hiccups but should gradually improve. In terms of affordable and appealing competition for Tesla, I would say the Polestar 2 and Mach E would be the only other current vehicles I would have (and did to some extents) consider before ultimate getting our MY. There are a few good ones on the horizon such as the Kia EV6 and it's sister car the Hyundai Ionic 5 (though subjectively I think it kind of awful looking and would go EV6 if I were picking between them). But we digress. And yes the F-150 assuming it isn't plagued by too many first/second year quality issues is definitely a potential runaway hit.

@MontyFloyd honestly, the Mach-E isn't a bad vehicle. It has a lot going for it in terms of value, appearance, familiarity for people getting their first EV, etc. It's got some first-year hiccups but should gradually improve. In terms of affordable and appealing competition for Tesla, I would say the Polestar 2 and Mach E would be the only other current vehicles I would have (and did to some extents) consider before ultimate getting our MY. There are a few good ones on the horizon such as the Kia EV6 and it's sister car the Hyundai Ionic 5 (though subjectively I think it kind of awful looking and would go EV6 if I were picking between them). But we digress. And yes the F-150 assuming it isn't plagued by too many first/second year quality issues is definitely a potential runaway hit.
I'll be interested to see what the real world range is for the 150 though. I'm guessing a lot of the people who might be interested in it might be disappointed and it won't help EV adoption but time will tell...

Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.
I am still confused. If all the Teslas sold in the USA are manufactured in the USA, but all the Fords sold in the USA are manufactured in Mexico...then I am thinking Tesla is a USA-made car. Not Ford.

I am still confused. If all the Teslas sold in the USA are manufactured in the USA, but all the Fords sold in the USA are manufactured in Mexico...then I am thinking Tesla is a USA-made car. Not Ford.
Well, the Mach-E is not American made (although Ford would probably say it is 'assembled in Mexico using American-made parts') while all of the Teslas we purchase here in the US are made in Fremont CA (and soon Austin TX). Most reasonable people recognize that both Ford and Tesla are American companies regardless of where their cars are manufactured. Most car manufacturers have foreign factories but their identity is generally based on where their HQ is located. Some users here just like to throw grenades and generate FUD just because they can. :cool:

Reactions: Nolakai
Except the F-150 is American made and Built…. So no, not “All” Fords are made in Mexico. Matter of fact only the Wach-E is made in Mexico

I'll be interested to see what the real world range is for the 150 though. I'm guessing a lot of the people who might be interested in it might be disappointed and it won't help EV adoption but time will tell...

@Dennisis indeed time will tell. On the optimistic side, the Mach E does very well with real world range compared to advertised range because Ford chose to underpromise and overdeliver. Hard to say if the F150 will be similar. Apparently their rated range for it includes 1,000 lbs of cargo so if you're driving it with an empty bed it will likely do very well compared to advertised. Probably.