Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Nissan Leaf efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, I don’t have a Chademo adapter and am experience some stress when going to non-Tesla chargers. I’ve heard this port will be phased out and that Tesla will be offering CCS adapters.
I am really confused trying to picture what you are talking about doing in this scenario. Since you don't have an adapter for either one of the two charging ports that these other chargers would have, why are you going to them? What do you do when you get to them, since you can't use them?

I am really confused trying to picture what you are talking about doing in this scenario. Since you don't have an adapter for either one of the two charging ports that these other chargers would have, why are you going to them? What do you do when you get to them, since you can't use them?
OK. Our lady, here, is in Tehachapi, somewhere between north of Los Angeles and southwest of Bakersfield. There's no actual Superchargers in the town, at least according to supercharge.info. There's one in Mohave, about 15 miles down the pike to the east; all the rest are at least double that distance.
GingerGal65: What's your charging situation? Got an outlet of some kind at your house?
Just brought up the town in PlugShare. Yup, there's a Chademo at Denny's, and J-1772s at the SCE Business Office City Hall.
In the direction of Bakersfield there's a couple of Chademos just outside the city limits.
So, that explains Why Chademo.. and the eventual CCS standard that may, or may not, roll around one of these days.
Telsa supports the Frankenplug in Europe; that's what the cars over there come with.
There's been people asking about a CCS adapter in the 'States, but it's a bit problematic. For one thing, the CCS folks have put into their documentation not to use adapters. Now, part of this is really safety; the issue is that if there's resistance in copper (and there is), the copper warms up when Lots of Current is passing by. (This is known as I-squared-R losses). For that reason, Superchargers actually actively cool their cables with some kind of liquid. And the connectors that plug into the car, since, well, at a connector the resistance is higher than in a straight wire.
Put in an adapter, you've got connectors where it goes into the car and at the other end where the CCS connector gets plugged in. There's going to be heat and no active cooling present to keep things from getting, well, hot. Too hot is bad karma.
Now, I've heard that there's third parties that have come up with CCS adapters; for all I know, Tesla may be working on one. But, whoever's doing that work had better be paying very close attention to the power dissipation in the cables/connectors.

OK. Our lady, here, is in Tehachapi, somewhere between north of Los Angeles and southwest of Bakersfield. There's no actual Superchargers in the town, at least according to supercharge.info. There's one in Mohave, about 15 miles down the pike to the east; all the rest are at least double that distance.
GingerGal65: What's your charging situation? Got an outlet of some kind at your house?
Just brought up the town in PlugShare. Yup, there's a Chademo at Denny's, and J-1772s at the SCE Business Office City Hall.
In the direction of Bakersfield there's a couple of Chademos just outside the city limits.
So, that explains Why Chademo.. and the eventual CCS standard that may, or may not, roll around one of these days.
Telsa supports the Frankenplug in Europe; that's what the cars over there come with.
There's been people asking about a CCS adapter in the 'States, but it's a bit problematic. For one thing, the CCS folks have put into their documentation not to use adapters. Now, part of this is really safety; the issue is that if there's resistance in copper (and there is), the copper warms up when Lots of Current is passing by. (This is known as I-squared-R losses). For that reason, Superchargers actually actively cool their cables with some kind of liquid. And the connectors that plug into the car, since, well, at a connector the resistance is higher than in a straight wire.
Put in an adapter, you've got connectors where it goes into the car and at the other end where the CCS connector gets plugged in. There's going to be heat and no active cooling present to keep things from getting, well, hot. Too hot is bad karma.
Now, I've heard that there's third parties that have come up with CCS adapters; for all I know, Tesla may be working on one. But, whoever's doing that work had better be paying very close attention to the power dissipation in the cables/connectors.
Third-party CCS adapters are limited to 50kW — they might even fool the Tesla into thinking it’s a CHADeMO session.

50kW is darn near useless for a $500+ adapter!

there are many ccs chargers limited to 50kw (so 42kw for a model 3). The car doesnt think its chademo. In fact the car only knows "supercharging" which is the same as DC charging.
Well, using my Wall Connector, I'm getting around 10 kW. 50 kW is nothing like a real Supercharger: The least capable ones are 72 kW (so-called urban SC's), then there's the 125kW/150kW that are still littered across the landscape, and then there's the current generation that does 250 kW.
On a M3/MY 50 kW is around 220 Miles of Charge per Hour, which is better than a poke in the eye; if one was stopping for an hour or two at a mall, then it'd be worth it. Not fun if one is on a long trip, though.

50 kW is nothing like a real Supercharger: The least capable ones are 72 kW (so-called urban SC's), then there's the 125kW/150kW that are still littered across the landscape, and then there's the current generation that does 250 kW.
On a M3/MY 50 kW is around 220 Miles of Charge per Hour, which is better than a poke in the eye; if one was stopping for an hour or two at a mall, then it'd be worth it. Not fun if one is on a long trip, though.

It's not that bad. at 50kW, from less 10% to 90% takes almost hour and a half. Those superchargers don't give you 250kW the entire time, the reality is they only hit 250kW for the first minute or two. After that, they drop rapidly to 125, then 80 etc....... by the time the car's at around 80% charged , they're only pushing 30kW or so, which is LESS than the CCS/CHAdeMO. So, practically, maybe 30-40 minutes on the SC, which is a little less than half the time at 50 kW.

On a long trip, I'd still rather have a 50kW CCS or CHAdeMO (which I've ended up having to use before simply because they were around and SC wasn't) rather than wall connector, which is hours and hours and hours.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just last week I was having to get across the 250 mile gap between Winnemucca and Boise again, and used a CHAdeMO station there. It was a whole lot better than sitting at the RV park in Jordan Valley for hours at 40 amps.