Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Nissan Leaf efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove my Tesla around on the city for a couple days.
This.
It has been a known and legitimate gripe of some Tesla owners that they have really high energy usage when idle. Other brands like the VW e-Golf or Nissan Leaf or electric Ford Focus or other electric cars you might want to compare it to really go pretty close to OFF when they are off, and they have hardly any idle energy drain. Teslas are trying to be whiz-bang, dancing baloney, do-everything, supercomputers on wheels, and it shows in the idle consumption figures.

This.
It has been a known and legitimate gripe of some Tesla owners that they have really high energy usage when idle. Other brands like the VW e-Golf or Nissan Leaf or electric Ford Focus or other electric cars you might want to compare it to really go pretty close to OFF when they are off, and they have hardly any idle energy drain. Teslas are trying to be whiz-bang, dancing baloney, do-everything, supercomputers on wheels, and it shows in the idle consumption figures.

Tbh im happy with the car being available over the internet when i need to and that it has a reliable battery management system.
This is on a different level than a ford. And my sli 8800gts graphicscards also use more power than a 8100.it is what it is. And tbh the idle draw of the model 3 has become superlow last few months.
The car sleeps now after just a few min of idle and only uses 5 to 20w during sleep.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Tbh im happy with the car being available over the internet when i need to and that it has a reliable battery management system.
This is on a different level than a ford. And my sli 8800gts graphicscards also use more power than a 8100.it is what it is. And tbh the idle draw of the model 3 has become superlow last few months.
The car sleeps now after just a few min of idle and only uses 5 to 20w during sleep.
Yes, and you will notice I did not say that I complain about it, and it seems very few Tesla owners do. Because those are nice features of it being such an advanced and capable system that most people appreciate. But there is a price to be paid for that. And I was just pointing this out as the explanation, where if someone is going to run an "efficiency" test that consists of many short trips over multiple days with a lot of time sitting, that is the clear reason why you will see such a difference.

FWIW, I bought my MYLR Aug 1 of last year and have averaged 268 wH/mi over 10,600 miles (According to the car odometer) That includes a MN winter where efficiency generally sucks.

The validity of the OPs calculations depend on what you’re interested in and what you want to measure. If you’re interested in driving efficiency then it’s not the best gauge. On the other hand, if your primary concern is total energy usage then it’s completely valid.

A lot of people here consider Teslas better and look down on Leafs, not unlike a BMW owner looking down on a Honda Civic. The Civic owner can say “I got 38 MPG!” While the BMW owner would say “but I have better climate control and better performance and a nicer interior.” Both are right, but if you value economy over comfort then the Civic is a better car.

I think it’s also good to point out that all the extra features of a Tesla do come at a cost. That panoramic sunroof is nice, but it heats up the car more, and it’s nice to have overheat protection and sentry mode but those take extra energy and nothing’s free. I’d be interested in seeing a comparison or a chart of the energy drain of the extra features, just to compare.

What ever real world efficiency I get from the Y, it's going to cost about 1/10 what I paid to gas up my 2014 Outback.

Looking at the overall carbon emissions, it will be about 10-20% lifetime what a new Outback would have been over 8 years, based on the energy mix of the grid where I am (almost all hydro, some gas peaker plants.)

The mix of trips we do every week would not be possible in a Leaf, the range is too low.

And the deal breaker is no liquid cooled batteries. Air cooled batteries are no where near as safe. And the chances of extreme battery degradation with air cooled batteries is too high; I would bet most air cooled designs will not last like liquid cooled. Already, many are getting replaced under recalls.

Tesla liquid cooling and thermal runaway protection is much safer than any air cooled battery.

Choosing to focus on efficiency per mile as one point of comparison is interesting, but misses the larger picture.

I agree with the OP's method of comparison though, you have to look at total energy use per mile if you want to compare the 2 cars.

Aside from the 2015 leaf being a glorified golf cart with a range of like 80 miles on a good day, does it also have 24/7 monitoring of its surroundings?

Did you do everything you could(within reason) to reduce vampire losses in the Y, like turning off Sentry mode and disabling summon(or smart summon, if that's what keeps the car awake?)

Did you park the Leaf in your garage where it won't get hot, and the 3 out in the sun where the AC will blast whenever you get in?

Hi everyone,
I’m new to the group and picked up my ModelY last week. Aside from turning off Sentry model and summon what else can I do to increase efficient?
Also, I don’t have a Chademo adapter and am experience some stress when going to non-Tesla chargers. I’ve heard this port will be phased out and that Tesla will be offering CCS adapters. Any advice?

I own a model Y standard range and a 2015 Nissan leaf. I ran an efficiency test between the two where I measured energy going in and how many miles I got out in city driving, where there's an 80% chance of stopping at a red light on every block. The temperature outside was about 80 degrees.

The results came out to be that the model Y clocked in at 512wh/mi and the leaf at 335wh/mi.

I haven't tried comparing highway efficiency yet, but I'm certain the model Y will beat my leaf on the highway. However, I'm really disappointed that my Tesla efficiency in the city is so much worse my leaf. Tesla has been touted as highly efficient, but no so in my case. I realize that the model y is a much heavier car but I didn't expect it to be this inefficient based on the the advertised city mileage.

Do you experience similar inefficiency driving in a busy city?

More details of tests required.
Lots of potential for difference.

Hi everyone,
I’m new to the group and picked up my ModelY last week. Aside from turning off Sentry model and summon what else can I do to increase efficient?
Also, I don’t have a Chademo adapter and am experience some stress when going to non-Tesla chargers. I’ve heard this port will be phased out and that Tesla will be offering CCS adapters. Any advice?
Turning cabin overheat protection to Fan only or 'off' will help a good bit, especially if your Y lives in the sun all day.

I never really understood Chademo. Seems like a ludicrously large connector, especially since the Tesla connector seems to do the same stuff in 1/4 of the space.

Hi everyone,
Since you live in southern Cal consider getting the windows tinted with a high end ceramic tint film. Definitely consider tinting the windshield, side windows and rear glass. Also consider adding additional protection for the glass roof although the glass roof has a factory tint at about 5%, filters UV and IR.

Set the cold tire pressure to the recommended 42 PSI or even a few pounds over (44 to 45 PSI.)

Turn on the Recirculate Cabin Air setting when driving in warmest part of the day. You can use the Tesla Voice Command "Recirculate Cabin Air" and "Fresh Air" to turn off this setting.

Turn off Cabin Overheat Protection or else set Cabin Overheat Protection to the "No AC" setting. Cabin Overheat Protection uses quite a bit of energy (remains active for 12 hours after you park.) Park in covered parking space during the day.

The one thing that you can do to dramatically improve your overall driving efficiency is to keep your highway speed to no more than 70 MPH.

Hi everyone,
OK. My one and only claim to fame (other than getting the new Model Y this last Monday, who-hoo!) is that I've been driving a 2018 M3 over the landscape for some 36,000 miles or so. So, I've got "comments" about efficiency.
First off: It's possible to do hypermiling on a Tesla. There are people who do that for a hobby. Don't like the bog-standard 273 W-hr/mile? Turn off everything extraneous (dash cam, overheat protection, Sentry Protection, etc.), don't go up steep hills, or do so slowly, live for downhills, etc., etc. I think I've seen people report sub-200 W-hr/mile numbers - but, frankly, why bother with all this? Unless, like I said, it's a hobby. Best estimates: You lose somewhere south of 5 miles of charge per day when all the $RANDOM stuff is turned on, more if you keep on checking to see if the car is there with the app. And, if the charge gets too low, the car itself will turn off all that stuff.
Second: While it is possible to find places in the US that, when driving from point A to point B, Range Anxiety might be a Thing. But, by and large, those days have come and gone. Tesla has been busy putting up Superchargers across the landscape. Yes, I live on the East Coast. Within ten miles of where I'm sitting, there's three Supercharger stations (blame the I-95 corridor), and that's Not Normal. But, still, SC's are every hundred miles (or less) or so apart on the Interstates. Conclusion: You're not going to run out of electricity unless you really, really work at it.
Third: The EPA and their mileage numbers.. While the EU's W-hr/km numbers are highly suspect (at one point, they allowed automakers to tape over door handles and door jambs to improve mileage numbers), the EPA's have been pretty much spot-on, gasoline, diesel, or electric. When chugging up and down I-95 during the non-cold months on an M3, the spouse and I pretty much get what the EPA called for.
Now, what can wreck the EPA numbers: The obvious. Playing jackrabbit will do it. Going over 70 will do it. Doing nothing but going up mountains will do it, but, with a BEV, going down is actually better.
As it happens, I'm a practicing engineer. I like numbers. I like to predict what hardware will do. I fooled with ABRP a bit; it does what it says on the label. But: The general big idea behind ABRP is that when one gets to one's destination, one has a certain amount of charge in the car. The Tesla's NAV program will get one to one's destination, but it's perfectly happy to deliver one there with 10%-15% charge; not enough to go shopping, really. This tends to be more important when one is going to a place sans Superchargers or overnight parking sans charging options. But that's it; both ABRP and the NAV will minimize the time spent charging. And, with eyeballs, just like with a gas car, if one sees that one's not going to have much charge when one gets to where one's going, it doesn't take too many brain cells to figure that a Little More Time at the last Supercharger station might be in order. So, do I use ABRP? Not really.
Now.. Having a car that out-performs a '76 Mustang (and much more quietly) and never flooring it.. that sounds painful. Even if it does wreck the efficiency.
The conclusion: Don't Worry, Be Happy. And Just Drive the Damn Car

One last thing. Cold weather.
The MY gets, what, 270 W-hr/mile in the warm. It gets worse efficiency in the cold. On the 2018 M3 sans heat exchanger, for the first 100 miles or so anyway, 360 W-hr/mile and up aren't all that unusual because cabin heat is done with an honest-to-golly electric heater.
MY's have that heat exchanger, so, while they do peak up some in cold weather, they're under more control once things have warmed up. NAV doesn't do as good a job with this as ABRP; so, if the territory has broken out in white flake disease, ABRP may be in order.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Right, 20% more weight to move around isn't free. Additionally, motor technology is different.
weight doesn't necessarily factor as much as you think it would, especially for highway driving and with EV's. It takes more energy to get the car going, but after that it has more inertia and the energy to keep it going is the same or perhaps less, and unlike an ICE car, you regain most of that energy back when stopping.

weight doesn't necessarily factor as much as you think it would, especially for highway driving and with EV's. It takes more energy to get the car going, but after that it has more inertia and the energy to keep it going is the same or perhaps less, and unlike an ICE car, you regain most of that energy back when stopping.
Tire flex and tire size to hold up the extra weight will still cost efficiency.

Model 3 tires at 235/45/18 vs Model S tires at 245/45/19 or even 265/35/21. That's either 4.2% or 12.7% more tread to bend continuously when rolling those tires, and that's totally ignoring sidewall bending.

Tire flex and tire size to hold up the extra weight will still cost efficiency.

Model 3 tires at 235/45/18 vs Model S tires at 245/45/19 or even 265/35/21. That's either 4.2% or 12.7% more tread to bend continuously when rolling those tires, and that's totally ignoring sidewall bending.
true, but the larger tire means less sidewall bending, and with the weight distributed over a larger surface there is less flexion and resistance of the treads. Tires are the consummate example of compromise and tradeoffs in engineering; I really don't know whether you end up better worse with a larger tire. I'm sure the both the engineers at Tesla and the tire companies have looked at this and can give a much better analysis than we can as to where things land.

Anecdotally I've driven 150 miles to our cabin in my MYLR both alone and with 2 other people, 2 dogs and a full load of cargo and haven't seen an appreciable difference in economy between the two.