Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had lots of Model Y vs... threads, I don't remember seeing one vs the Rivian R1S. Transport evolved reports that the price of the two introductory models could come down as much as $20,000 due to the massive investments by Ford and Amazon. This would put the price at about $55,000 for the R1S not including any federal incentives (US based). I have not seen the R1S in person, is it a lot bigger than what the Model Y? Would you wait the probably years for the Rivian, as they are supposed to start deliveries the second half of this year. Which would be just shortly after the Model Y starts deliveries next month.

What say you?

I would think, that with the latest releases on extra range from their existing cars, that other manufacturers may throw in the towel.

While they are struggling to get 200-250 miles of range, Tesla is going to be getting over 400 miles or range by the time the competitors are released. Combined with the existing Supercharger network, the others are going to come up way short.

I would absolutely buy a R1S at 55k, particularly if that's before the federal tax rebate. The R1S is 198" long, which is TBD inches longer than the Model Y because Tesla hasn't released that info yet. The Model 3 is 184.8" long, and depending on who you believe the Model Y will be 180-190" long. Meaning the R1S is significantly larger no matter how you slice it.

To put it in perspective the R1S at 198" long is the same length as the Tesla Model X, VW Atlas, Audi Q7, and Ford Explorer. Which is solidly in the midsized SUV market. So at 55k that would be a bargain and be a very strong competitor to the X, so say nothing of the traditional OEM's offerings

The Rivian R1S and the model Y are really aimed at different markets.

Model Y is a crossover - point it at a rutted track and it will run away in tears.
R1S is a 4x4 - especially true in this case as it has 4 motors. It should be great off road.

Model Y is primarily aimed at good family transport for those who want to sit a little higher (currently the worldwide sweet spot)
R1S is aimed more at the Range Rover / Discovery crowd - much smaller volume, high margin, luxury off road, any road transport.

Personally I have some land and muddy rutted tracks all over it - My Discovery (LR4) is great but pumps out diesel fumes.
R1S is the only option I can see as an option apart from the Cybertruck.
Unfortunately the Cybertruck, here in the UK, would need a crane to get round some of our smaller single track roads - its too big.

It looks like the Rivian price cut - before having sold even one car - is due to the Cybertruck pricing.

Thanks Elon.

Reactions: Big Earl
Manufacturing is a learning process. It doesn't matter the price point of Rivian, you are gambling their very first volume production wouldn't break down with the lack of servicing and supercharging network.

I would take Tesla in any day from this regard. At least it's easy to visit Tesla's service center here.

The Rivian R1S and the model Y are really aimed at different markets.

Model Y is a crossover - point it at a rutted track and it will run away in tears.
R1S is a 4x4 - especially true in this case as it has 4 motors. It should be great off road.

Model Y is primarily aimed at good family transport for those who want to sit a little higher (currently the worldwide sweet spot)
R1S is aimed more at the Range Rover / Discovery crowd - much smaller volume, high margin, luxury off road, any road transport.

Personally I have some land and muddy rutted tracks all over it - My Discovery (LR4) is great but pumps out diesel fumes.
R1S is the only option I can see as an option apart from the Cybertruck.
Unfortunately the Cybertruck, here in the UK, would need a crane to get round some of our smaller single track roads - its too big.

It looks like the Rivian price cut - before having sold even one car - is due to the Cybertruck pricing.

Thanks Elon.

assuming they make it to market, our ideal transport mix would be a bollinger (as a transport and work truck) and one model y.
However, with Bollinger prices being what they became, it puts a hard fork in the road ahead between a Y+Cybertruck or Y+R1S.
We do need to use both around the city and to/from the farm, and the Cybertruck is a bit too much of a beast size wise.

Manufacturing is a learning process. It doesn't matter the price point of Rivian, you are gambling their very first volume production wouldn't break down with the lack of servicing and supercharging network.

I would take Tesla in any day from this regard. At least it's easy to visit Tesla's service center here.

Service is a big deal. I work about 10 minutes from a Tesla service center. I have never even heard if any Rivian service center / show rooms / dealers exist. Has anyone seen one yet?

We have had lots of Model Y vs... threads, I don't remember seeing one vs the Rivian R1S. Transport evolved reports that the price of the two introductory models could come down as much as $20,000 due to the massive investments by Ford and Amazon. This would put the price at about $55,000 for the R1S not including any federal incentives (US based). I have not seen the R1S in person, is it a lot bigger than what the Model Y? Would you wait the probably years for the Rivian, as they are supposed to start deliveries the second half of this year. Which would be just shortly after the Model Y starts deliveries next month.

What say you?

Here is a link to some pictures/rendering of the R1S.

All pictures of Rivian R1S '2018

I have a reservation for Model Y but will consider the R1S instead especially with the rumored price decrease.

Yes, Rivian does not have a Supercharger network like Tesla - but I think I can manage to arrange charging away from home with the R1S in the rare long trip that our family of 5 do once a year.

For now I'll keep my Model Y reservation, and if R1S is that good in price and feature - I probably trade my Model 3 for it.

rivian_r1s_7_0700073d10a50ccf.jpg
rivian_r1s_1.jpg
rivian_r1s_75.jpg
rivian_r1s_78.jpg

I’m excited about Rivian. They will make it into production due to billions invested by Ford, Amazon, and others. They also have a standing order of 100,000 delivery trucks from Amazon. Although it hasn’t been announced yet, I would assume servicing would be available at Ford dealerships. If so, that would be much more convenient than Tesla for a lot of people. The major issue with Rivian will be the charging network won’t compare to Tesla. I own an S with 81,000 miles and am planning on an electric truck or SUV as my next vehicle. I have deposits down for both the Rivian SUV and the Cybertruck and will decide between the two after seeing both when they’re in production.

Reactions: Ghanziang
Super charging and Teslas infrastructure is a game changer.

Rivian won't be able to keep up

I have been very interested in the R1S since it was debuted. We ordered a Model Y because we take frequent road trips and the Supercharger network makes it possible. At this point, there is no other brand that has the charging infrastructure in place to enable a family like mine to road trip as we do.

It's a shame, because I love what Rivian is doing. Their focus on "adventure" features is right up my alley.

I like the Rivians and I think they are good looking EV's, but the Tesla's have so much more going for them feature wise. The supercharging network being a huge key factor.

I'm looking to buy a MY in a few years and I don't see any competitors coming up which would sway my decision otherwise. Maybe someday, but no time soon from what I can tell.

Not even in the same vehicle category. One is a SUV that can ford up to 3’ of water, the other is a CUV that can maybe do off-road lite (dirt road). Though with Ford and Amazon investing, I believe it will make it to production.

I’d go with the rivian personally but can’t wait until 2021. Plus can’t beat supercharger and Tesla battery knowledge