Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is highly unlikely that Rivian will beat the Cybertruck to market. I think the Cybertruck is way cooler - looks like you are driving off the set of Bladerunner. The Rivian looks too much like the status quo, and I do not like the looks of any trucks right now.

Brent

I have a deposit on mY, R1T and the XC40Recharge.
My wife and I keep on going back and forth on which one will be our next vehicle.
Wife found out the mY has no heated steering wheel and no OTA am/fm radio, deal breakers for her.
As of today, looks like XC40 Recharge is in the lead. But I really want the Rivian.
I told her the first one available will be our car, so it looks like mY since I did the $2,500 reservation on the AWD LR.

I just canceled my preorder for R1S as I got an email saying I would be receiving my Y Performance at MDR this month. I'm trading my 2016 X with 16500 miles. Couldn’t wait any longer for new car. I would have gotten another X but wanted to see if I could live with smaller car as LA parking is 75% compact only parking. Plus newest technology and I need something substantial to upgrade to another X.
it’s been a great story but it was time for reality.

I have a deposit on mY, R1T and the XC40Recharge.
My wife and I keep on going back and forth on which one will be our next vehicle.
Wife found out the mY has no heated steering wheel and no OTA am/fm radio, deal breakers for her.
As of today, looks like XC40 Recharge is in the lead. But I really want the Rivian.
I told her the first one available will be our car, so it looks like mY since I did the $2,500 reservation on the AWD LR.

Model Y has FM radio, but no AM. However a number of AM stations also stream - so are available via Tunein.

It is an oft stated complaint that the Model 3 doesn't offer a heated steering wheel. But one nice thing is the upper HVAC vent runs across the entire dash. So warm air can flow over the steering wheel and your hands pretty quickly. Like "backing out of the driveway and just starting down the street" quickly.

As far as Rivian goes, I'll believe it is a good product when I see them in the wild and they've proven themselves for a few years.

Reactions: powertoold
assuming they make it to market, our ideal transport mix would be a bollinger (as a transport and work truck) and one model y.
However, with Bollinger prices being what they became, it puts a hard fork in the road ahead between a Y+Cybertruck or Y+R1S.
We do need to use both around the city and to/from the farm, and the Cybertruck is a bit too much of a beast size wise.
M3; MX/MY; Cybertruck/ See a pattern?

• Funny
Reactions: EchoDelta
Service is a big deal. I work about 10 minutes from a Tesla service center. I have never even heard if any Rivian service center / show rooms / dealers exist. Has anyone seen one yet?
Y'all funny. Y is 75% of 3, likely same proven and tested powertrain and battery tech. Y was revealed 3/19, first wild pics 5/19, first wild videos 9/19. Tesla semi has been testing in the wild for last 2 years.

R1T was revealed 11/18, has quad motors, new design, new everything. Much higher complexity than Teslas, apart from maybe the X. And they plan to charge 69k for a 105kwh car with 230mi range. Lol.
Wrong...try again.

At the fully charged live event, that Sunday morning, they were very secretive in conversation. It just feels like there is a lot going on behind the scenes when their trucks were at the event. If it is a true ground up, why does it look like someone just glued on some ipads? Why were there not any available for a drive around the parking lot? IDK. Time will tell. Wish them well. There were a lot of naysayers when Tesla was a very young company. Where were they (other electric car companies and ideas back then)? The backing from Ford or Amazon won't make a better vehicle, but if they don't get one on the streets soon, they will miss the boat. I say most companies already have. To stay on subject, I don't see how you can compare the Y to their Truck. Way different class.

Reactions: MXLRplus
Probably best. Hard to keep track of all that's going on related to the flu. Not following Rivian but interested, what was the US tour about? Was it given reservation holders a chance to get a ride in the vehicle?

I believe so. But I'm not positive. All we know is they are doing vehicle testing right now. I believe they will be first to market with an EV pickup.

Reactions: ohmman