Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Solterra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I didn’t have the Y, I would buy the rav4 prime SE and be happy with it. Msrp is 40k. I found a dealer with a 2k Markup in the Bay Area. Deduce 7500 tax credit. :)

I need a SUV or cross over type for the family. 40 miles EV for ur daily stuff. And a gas tank for family trips. Win win !

If I didn’t have the Y, I would buy the rav4 prime SE and be happy with it. Msrp is 40k. I found a dealer with a 2k Markup in the Bay Area. Deduce 7500 tax credit. :)

I need a SUV or cross over type for the family. 40 miles EV for ur daily stuff. And a gas tank for family trips. Win win !
just remember that Toyota is about to pass the 200k threshold, so at some point soon, the rebate goes away. Definitely a reason for the Solterra over the B4whatever.

Meh. I had a Prime SE and XSE.... the SE is a bit of sh*tbox. You can't even check charging on the Toyota app without the XSE trim. It's so barebones it's ridiculous (no nav, cloth seats, no heated anything, no moonroof). My ears were bleeding on how bad the audio system was.

The RAV4 XLE Premium at $35K is luxurious compared to the $40K SE. The minimum trim I recommend is XSE with Premium Audio and 6.6kW charger which is around $48K.

I find MYP ride perfectly acceptable, and certainly wouldn't call MYLR abysmal. But if you prefer floaty ride,Tesla is certainly not the right car.
Yeah, I think a lot of people's opinion of the MY suspension comes down to what car they had previously driven. My previous cars were Acuras that also had fairly stiff suspension. We still have a 1st gen RDX and that ride is super stiff. Given all that, I think the MY suspension is "not bad."

Reactions: mangrove79
I'm just thinking about my first world problems here.

So I have a Solterra and an i4 M50 on order. My intention has been to replace the Model Y with the Solterra, getting a far higher ride height, far better suspension, better build quality, and better human interfaces. I'd give up the acceleration, which I do love, and the range, which IDGAF.

But then I could get upgraded MY suspension and, now that I see it, the sexy buttons to make up for the awful buttonless interface: trunk, mirror folding, heated seats, heated steering, fan control, and defog. 6 buttons and this car will suck less. And now that Ohlins offers a cheaper suspension, I'm excited. Rough rides aren't a problem if the body is controlled. I like my corners like I like my women: fast. Still, I'm investing another 4k in this Tesla that will still be a rattletrap, and even if I raise the ride by an inch, it's still a lowriding car.

I only found out about the new Ohlins and the sexy buttons today. Threw me for a loop, let me tell ya.

The Solterra is overpriced, but after 7500 off, it makes a great around town and over the rocks on the road car. And there are *sugar* tons of rocks on the road around here. Plus that smooth Toyota ride. Too bad it's slow, relatively speaking. Over 6 seconds to 60? What is this? The 2010s? SHAME!

What can I sell a 2021 MYLR for? Enough to justify saving money on a Solterra? Maybe get them all then decide? That actually seems sane in these weird days. The Solterra and the MY are anonymous enough not to be attacked by jealous types. The M50, which I ADORE... not so much And the wife's I-Pace? A grief magnet. F Oakland. Two broken windows, damnit! Failed city.

I was gonna sell the I-Pace to my parents, but once my wife got back into to it when the window was repaired, she never looked back at the MY. Really, the I-Pace is an amazing vehicle, perhaps the best in existence ever. Most of y'all who care so much about range are fooling yourselves, along with the clueless automotive press.

Open to everyone's thoughts.
Is there any objective EV spec that the Solterra has over the Y? Also, a bit skeptical it arrives this summer (but it would be cool if it does)

Reactions: El joe
Is there any objective EV spec that the Solterra has over the Y? Also, a bit skeptical it arrives this summer (but it would be cool if it does)

8.3” ground clearance basically. Not much else but it is important because most so called crossover EVs are solely-on-pavement road cars. They are sedans to me.

I don’t understand the love for the iPace but I guess I never drove one. EV6 is half the price with more features and handles amazing well. They almost look exactly alike with the same exterior dimensions too.

Reactions: Discoducky
Ground clearance, a more usable interior interface, blindspot awareness, possible ventilated seats, 360 cam view, a video rearview mirror, and much better ride quality.
8.3” ground clearance basically. Not much else but it is important because most so called crossover EVs are solely-on-pavement road cars. They are sedans to me.

I don’t understand the love for the iPace but I guess I never drove one. EV6 is half the price with more features and handles amazing well. They almost look exactly alike with the same exterior dimensions too.
We live on a road that often has rockfalls, mudslides, speedbumps, and more. The Solterra ground clearance has value for us.

While I have not driven an EV6, I know people who have driven both, and there is no comparison in handling. The I-Pace is superior. Also the I-Pace can raise up and deal with said rocks and mud as it has air suspension. Also the I-Pace interior is truly luxurious. Also Kia dealers suck.

Looks like my parents may want the Solterra, in which case I will pass it on to them and finally get them into an EV.

No ICE for me at all, thanks. Since of oil changes and gas stations. I'll just use them for car rentals on vacation.
I find MYP ride perfectly acceptable, and certainly wouldn't call MYLR abysmal. But if you prefer floaty ride,Tesla is certainly not the right car.
You must live around nice roads and drive slowly. The MYLR is slightly undersprung and massively underdamped. Boingoingoingoing!
Yeah, I think a lot of people's opinion of the MY suspension comes down to what car they had previously driven. My previous cars were Acuras that also had fairly stiff suspension. We still have a 1st gen RDX and that ride is super stiff. Given all that, I think the MY suspension is "not bad."
I have had soft and hard suspensions. The issue isn't the ride of previous cars. I find my FRS's harder suspension FAR more comfy on a rough road than the Model Y's because the FRS is adequately (though not perfectly) damped. But the M50 is like butter in comparison to both, and it griiiips. The M3P has good suspension in comparison, though it falls apart at the limit.
If you want cushy ride, get Buick and never look back. FYI, MYP ride is solid and yet smooth as well as the ride quality of the MY LR.
As with the other guy, you must have nice, smooth roads in comparison to what I have. Literally every car I have driven in the past 12 years has better body control than my Model Y. I have driven BMW, Ram, Acura, Scion, Subaru, Lexus, Fiat, Chevy, Jaguar, Land Rover, Range Rover, M3P, and Model X on this road. Every single one has better body control when things get bumpy. On glass, all of them are fine.

Meh. I had a Prime SE and XSE.... the SE is a bit of sh*tbox. You can't even check charging on the Toyota app without the XSE trim. It's so barebones it's ridiculous (no nav, cloth seats, no heated anything, no moonroof). My ears were bleeding on how bad the audio system was.

The RAV4 XLE Premium at $35K is luxurious compared to the $40K SE. The minimum trim I recommend is XSE with Premium Audio and 6.6kW charger which is around $48K.

just saying if I had a tight budget and my opinion on non Tesla EV, ill go with base model SUV plug in i can find and just use it as a commuter and family car For road trips. Don’t care for anything inside. But once u start looking at the XSE prime with a few add on and mark up, u are looking at high 50 with tax. That’s when a tesla is my choice.

yea, toyota app sucks big balls! they charge $8 or $9 a month for my wife second gen Prius plug in to use it to turn on AC or heat. And to see whats my mileages and to see if my doors are lock. Can’t even remotely lock them. And AC remote work 70% of the time. And u have to wait a few minutes to kick on. Lol That’s the first thing Toyota need to do if they’re serious about EV! It’s not hard to try the Tesla app and try to copy that. Oh well, it is very hard! And ppl saying competition is here or coming! 🤣

Reactions: voxel

So objectively, the Solterra wins due to air suspension. I totally get that.

However, what about the EV specs? Range, Wh/mile and charging speed.

Then, the cargo space, passenger space and towing capacity are the next.

Reading through this article, it seems lacking in those areas quite a bit: 2023 Subaru Solterra: EV Meets ORV

Ground clearance, a more usable interior interface, blindspot awareness, possible ventilated seats, 360 cam view, a video rearview mirror, and much better ride quality.

We live on a road that often has rockfalls, mudslides, speedbumps, and more. The Solterra ground clearance has value for us.

While I have not driven an EV6, I know people who have driven both, and there is no comparison in handling. The I-Pace is superior. Also the I-Pace can raise up and deal with said rocks and mud as it has air suspension. Also the I-Pace interior is truly luxurious. Also Kia dealers suck.

Looks like my parents may want the Solterra, in which case I will pass it on to them and finally get them into an EV.

I think you would be surprised at the EV6 handling. It's truly a hothatch which I was not expecting and I've owned various EVs (ID.4, Mach-e, Model Y & 3) and test drove the gamut of them. I'm waiting for the EV6 GT trim myself.

Honestly, don't understand the love for the i-Pace... I completely understand Audi e-tron owners who adore their cars.

Anyhow, my Solterra is still arriving in August but if my MINI SE gets here before it... decisions, decisions.

I'm just thinking about my first world problems here.

So I have a Solterra and an i4 M50 on order. My intention has been to replace the Model Y with the Solterra, getting a far higher ride height, far better suspension, better build quality, and better human interfaces. I'd give up the acceleration, which I do love, and the range, which IDGAF.

But then I could get upgraded MY suspension and, now that I see it, the sexy buttons to make up for the awful buttonless interface: trunk, mirror folding, heated seats, heated steering, fan control, and defog. 6 buttons and this car will suck less. And now that Ohlins offers a cheaper suspension, I'm excited. Rough rides aren't a problem if the body is controlled. I like my corners like I like my women: fast. Still, I'm investing another 4k in this Tesla that will still be a rattletrap, and even if I raise the ride by an inch, it's still a lowriding car.

I only found out about the new Ohlins and the sexy buttons today. Threw me for a loop, let me tell ya.

The Solterra is overpriced, but after 7500 off, it makes a great around town and over the rocks on the road car. And there are *sugar* tons of rocks on the road around here. Plus that smooth Toyota ride. Too bad it's slow, relatively speaking. Over 6 seconds to 60? What is this? The 2010s? SHAME!

What can I sell a 2021 MYLR for? Enough to justify saving money on a Solterra? Maybe get them all then decide? That actually seems sane in these weird days. The Solterra and the MY are anonymous enough not to be attacked by jealous types. The M50, which I ADORE... not so much And the wife's I-Pace? A grief magnet. F Oakland. Two broken windows, damnit! Failed city.

I was gonna sell the I-Pace to my parents, but once my wife got back into to it when the window was repaired, she never looked back at the MY. Really, the I-Pace is an amazing vehicle, perhaps the best in existence ever. Most of y'all who care so much about range are fooling yourselves, along with the clueless automotive press.

Open to everyone's thoughts.
If your looking for the ultimate EV SUV that will make your wife scrap the I-Pace; Look no further then the new 2023 EQS 450 MB 😲😃EPIC…

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
I think you would be surprised at the EV6 handling. It's truly a hothatch which I was not expecting and I've owned various EVs (ID.4, Mach-e, Model Y & 3) and test drove the gamut of them. I'm waiting for the EV6 GT trim myself.

Honestly, don't understand the love for the i-Pace... I completely understand Audi e-tron owners who adore their cars.

Anyhow, my Solterra is still arriving in August but if my MINI SE gets here before it... decisions, decisions.

Nice u owned the MachE and ID4. Assuming u sold them? What was the reason?

How’s the ford and VW app compared to the tesla ? Do they charge u a subscription?

I drove my LR for 30k miles. Sold it to upgrade to the P. Waited 4 months for it. Mean time, I went to test drove the ID and Mach. Both were disappointing. ID was slower than my wife’s Prius plug in and the UI is buggy. I couldn’t even figure out the lane assist or cruise control features. Price was good tho but that’s the Single motor. They didn’t have the dual motor to test and compared. And no frunk! How these guys are making EV now and can’t figure out the Frunk. I know it’s not a big deal but it’s a great option to have if u don’t have a engine in there. I’m all for it if they can add more cargo space.

The MachE was disappointing to me too. Once I got in the driver seat and look out the windshield and windows , I know it’s not for me. Feel clamp in there. Especially the back seat. We have a 3 year old so no way my wife will be comfortable in the back with her. Again, this is comparing the Y interior space to the MachE. If u never test drove one , u might be fine with the machE. But if interior space is ur thing, I wouldn’t recommend a MachE to anyone. Then u compared the performance and hands down u know the winner.

Yea. I wanted to try both HOT EV at that time to make sure what I’m missing with the competitor , conclusion is tesla has nothing to worry about for a few years. Especially once u think about where u going to charge on the road, SC is the deciding factors. Too bad the iconiq5 or EV6 wasn’t out yet, I want to test drive them both to compare. Also want to know how’s their app. If app doesn’t work well, will be hard for my to even consider them.

Reactions: mangrove79
So objectively, the Solterra wins due to air suspension. I totally get that.

However, what about the EV specs? Range, Wh/mile and charging speed.

Then, the cargo space, passenger space and towing capacity are the next.

Reading through this article, it seems lacking in those areas quite a bit: 2023 Subaru Solterra: EV Meets ORV
Since when did Solterra have air suspension? At that price point there is no air suspension at all.