Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Solterra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just thinking about my first world problems here.

So I have a Solterra and an i4 M50 on order. My intention has been to replace the Model Y with the Solterra, getting a far higher ride height, far better suspension, better build quality, and better human interfaces. I'd give up the acceleration, which I do love, and the range, which IDGAF.

But then I could get upgraded MY suspension and, now that I see it, the sexy buttons to make up for the awful buttonless interface: trunk, mirror folding, heated seats, heated steering, fan control, and defog. 6 buttons and this car will suck less. And now that Ohlins offers a cheaper suspension, I'm excited. Rough rides aren't a problem if the body is controlled. I like my corners like I like my women: fast. Still, I'm investing another 4k in this Tesla that will still be a rattletrap, and even if I raise the ride by an inch, it's still a lowriding car.

I only found out about the new Ohlins and the sexy buttons today. Threw me for a loop, let me tell ya.

The Solterra is overpriced, but after 7500 off, it makes a great around town and over the rocks on the road car. And there are *sugar* tons of rocks on the road around here. Plus that smooth Toyota ride. Too bad it's slow, relatively speaking. Over 6 seconds to 60? What is this? The 2010s? SHAME!

What can I sell a 2021 MYLR for? Enough to justify saving money on a Solterra? Maybe get them all then decide? That actually seems sane in these weird days. The Solterra and the MY are anonymous enough not to be attacked by jealous types. The M50, which I ADORE... not so much And the wife's I-Pace? A grief magnet. F Oakland. Two broken windows, damnit! Failed city.

I was gonna sell the I-Pace to my parents, but once my wife got back into to it when the window was repaired, she never looked back at the MY. Really, the I-Pace is an amazing vehicle, perhaps the best in existence ever. Most of y'all who care so much about range are fooling yourselves, along with the clueless automotive press.

Open to everyone's thoughts.

Both the BZ and Solterra seem to be really mediocre EVs. They're not bad, but really pale in comparison to more interesting offerings at around the same price range, like the Ioniq.

You'll definitely be able to sell your current MY for more than the Solterra costs, but I personally wouldn't do it. It's an inferior EV by most measures.

Range and charging speed are important to me, while ride height isn't. It sounds like it's the opposite for you, so maybe you would enjoy the Solterra.

So I have a Solterra and an i4 M50 on order. My intention has been to replace the Model Y with the Solterra, getting a far higher ride height, far better suspension, better build quality, and better human interfaces. I'd give up the acceleration, which I do love, and the range, which IDGAF.

But then I could get upgraded MY suspension and, now that I see it, the sexy buttons to make up for the awful buttonless interface: trunk, mirror folding, heated seats, heated steering, fan control, and defog. 6 buttons and this car will suck less. And now that Ohlins offers a cheaper suspension, I'm excited. Rough rides aren't a problem if the body is controlled. I like my corners like I like my women: fast. Still, I'm investing another 4k in this Tesla that will still be a rattletrap, and even if I raise the ride by an inch, it's still a lowriding car.

I only found out about the new Ohlins and the sexy buttons today. Threw me for a loop, let me tell ya.

The Solterra is overpriced, but after 7500 off, it makes a great around town and over the rocks on the road car. And there are *sugar* tons of rocks on the road around here. Plus that smooth Toyota ride. Too bad it's slow, relatively speaking. Over 6 seconds to 60? What is this? The 2010s? SHAME!

What can I sell a 2021 MYLR for? Enough to justify saving money on a Solterra? Maybe get them all then decide? That actually seems sane in these weird days. The Solterra and the MY are anonymous enough not to be attacked by jealous types. The M50, which I ADORE... not so much And the wife's I-Pace? A grief magnet. F Oakland. Two broken windows, damnit! Failed city.

I was gonna sell the I-Pace to my parents, but once my wife got back into to it when the window was repaired, she never looked back at the MY. Really, the I-Pace is an amazing vehicle, perhaps the best in existence ever. Most of y'all who care so much about range are fooling yourselves, along with the clueless automotive press.

Open to everyone's thoughts.

If you aren't going to drive beyond range, just test them all and buy the one you prefer.

IDK about the BMW grill. It's nicer than the old. I like BMW pushing style. Bangle butt for the win.
A platform being for ICE and EV is a strategy decision. Strategy decisions are worth maybe 10% of an overall design. The devil is in the details, and that's where Tesla usually falls down and BMW excels.
Software, battery, and charging are the least important parts of an EV to me. Focusing on them just leads to an appliance, not a good car.

But the question isn't about the BMW. I know I'm getting an M50. It's about the Solterra replacing the Y. No test drives yet, though.

If you're getting the i4 for sure, replacing the the MY with the Solterra seems like a good plan given that you don't like the interior design and ride of the MY. The Solterra should be the "Toyota of EVs", which is a good thing if you want a potentially reliable car to get from point A to point B. You can have fun in the i4. Sounds like a good plan to me. The only problem might be finding a Solterra, and at MSRP.

Honestly, until I discovered the sexy buttons, it was an easier choice. Now a cheaper ohlins option? And a UK shop is making a bilstein option? Oof! If the ride of the MY could actually become good, that would be a game changer.
The S3XY buttons are pretty fun, and I actually use the app and the commander module to open the frunk more often then the buttons themselves. Have you checked out the post in the Model Y sub-forum by someone that works at the company that makes the S3XY buttons?

Reactions: Jigglypuff
Totally agreed buying a EV is about battery, software & charging stations. So far, Tesla is still years ahead.

If you can get a BZ or Solterra for close to MSRP and u get the 7500 tax credit, its a sweet deal. But personally, I see all non Tesla EVs...new or old the same. Its just a vehicle to get u from A to B. I won't even consider them to do any road trips or long distance driving. Im stuck with them to commute to work or run errands. If thats the case, ill just buy the cheapest used EV I can find or a Prius. lol. My wife has a 2nd gen plug in Prius and we love the car too! Her commute is 30 miles daily so we are getting 150 MPG. Fill up 5 gallon a month and we are good.

Back to the SEXY buttons. I purchased them a couple weeks ago. What a game changer. I installed the Hanshow Power frunk and I keep all my food in there. Also my work backpack, don't want it to show in the car and risk someone breaking my window for it in the city. So I used my power frunk daily. Before having the buttons, I have to take my phone out, unlock it, open the app, click on the frunk release, then confirm open. Now, the button is next to my driver door pocket. Open door, push the button...frunk open. And there is a button inside the frunk to close. EZPZ! My phone stay in my pocket now! :). But of course , u can just open ur door and reach over to the screen to open the frunk… but imagine doing this 3-4x daily. 😡

So I toggle "chill" or "sport" mode daily too. Depending if im driving solo or with the family. Wife don't like me driving on sport mode with the child. Plus she get car sick easily. One of the button is to toggle Chill or sports. Godsend! The 3rd button is to turn on all the interior lights. Useful at night when u want to turn on the lights to find something. Last button is for the glove department. Was thinking of using it for the rear trunk, but there is a trunk release button on the hatch. And I have a foot sensor back there. All buttons hidden behind the main screen on the bottom. U don't see it, u just feel it. $200 on sale is a bargain! took me months to consider them. When I found out u can set them to toggle Chill or sports mode, I was sold! FYI. u can set them to any other function if you liked. Its just liked a shortcut button. :)

Btw, I have no issues with my 2022 MYP suspension with the stock 21". I had a 2020 LR Y, the 2022 P improved a lot. I put on 19" martian wheels and its even better. :) I gained back my LR range for the P Depending on how u drive. Plus a comfort ride.. Win win!

FYI. The new update software can set heated steering wheel, seats and wipers to the main screen. No need to open HVAC menu to find them. Again, tesla software is the best! They might not get it right at first but they will make update to fix things or add features as we go. No other brand can do this right now. My guess, give them 2-3 years to catch on. Then tesla will come out with better and newer features. 😁😁😁

What’s important to me in a EV:
1. Safety
2. Performance
3. Range (battery)
4. Charging stations
5. Software (including app)
6. Cargo (need a good frunk)

Last edited:
Reactions: mangrove79

Going from an Outback (2013, and 1997) to a YP, I can't say the suspension feels any different.

I waited on details for the Solterra before I placed the Y order. It was a pretty uninspiring release, IMO. The range is an issue for me - the mountains are 150 miles away. Its charging speed is abysmal. If you lived right in the mountains, that would be fine, but that's not my situation. Everything about this model feels like a downgrade. That they only intend to make 20,000 of them in 2022 and 2023 also makes it nearly a unicorn.

I also waited a long while for that Boxer Diesel Outback a bit over a decade ago. It wasn't until the VW scandal broke that I understood why.

I fortunately have a pre March Rivian order on queue, and that will be my speculative update for the Y in a couple years. By then, perhaps, there will be a lot of viable choices on the table, and CCS charging will be widespread enough to not need the SC network. We'll see.

Reactions: mangrove79
Has anyone actually bought a Soltera from a dealer to know the total post-marked-up price?

As mentioned above on the NX450h, street prices for Toyota-based products are.... astonishing when you actually try to buy one. I walked away from a $60k Rav4 Prime, and I totally do not regret it.

I just submitted my factory order (using my reservation code) with my local Orlando-area Subie dealer this morning at MSRP ($50,115 + TTL) for the Limited trim with no packages. ETA is August 2022 as per order sheet.

Now.. the Solterra is NOT EVEN in the same league as my Model Y. It's going to be a slightly improved fully electric RAV4 Prime... which if you've never driven in one... I can tell you is super barebones and not advanced at all but is glitch free. The MYLR is a high-tech performance SUV. The Solterra is a rugged (aka cheap interior) but plasticky no fuss car.... I plan to use it as my daily driver and trade my Model 3 in for it. It's never going on a road trip because of the crappy CCS network in Florida but I will take it on sub-200 miles trips.

Nobody is getting a Toyota bz4x without a $5K markup IMO. There's no reservation system and the demand for that will be Prime 2.0 all over again.

I just submitted my factory order (using my reservation code) with my local Orlando-area Subie dealer this morning at MSRP ($50,115 + TTL) for the Limited trim with no packages. ETA is August 2022 as per order sheet.

Now.. the Solterra is NOT EVEN in the same league as my Model Y. It's going to be a slightly improved fully electric RAV4 Prime... which if you've never driven in one... I can tell you is super barebones and not advanced at all but is glitch free. The MYLR is a high-tech performance SUV. The Solterra is a rugged (aka cheap interior) but plasticky no fuss car.... I plan to use it as my daily driver and trade my Model 3 in for it. It's never going on a road trip because of the crappy CCS network in Florida but I will take it on sub-200 miles trips.

Nobody is getting a Toyota bz4x without a $5K markup IMO. There's no reservation system and the demand for that will be Prime 2.0 all over again.

I'd be shocked that an electric upgraded Rav4Prime could be acquired under $60k given that's the street price on the existing thing...

I'd be shocked that an electric upgraded Rav4Prime could be acquired under $60k given that's the street price on the existing thing...

Well.. the RAV4 Prime would be a more practical car for 90% of the population since it is a PHEV with 550 miles of range and is still wickedly fast (0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds). The Solterra is nowhere as practical and fast.

I had zero problems with my R4P and the only reason I ditched it (and it is silly) was because the base audio was AM-quality. I told myself I'd buy a higher trim in 2023 after the insanity for it subsidies but I might be completely wrong. I did not skimp out of the audio in my Solterra order :)

I don’t know how you can go from a Tesla to a Solterra or Toyota and be satisfied. That seems like a notch or two downgrade at minimum. Unless of course you want to take advantage of high selling used price of Tesla then it makes sense, that would be the only reason I would sell.