Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owning a 3 and an X... I can say with some certainty: the Y will be better put together. Get updates more often, and feel more solid. Of course, given the newness of the Y, I'd hold off a few months if you can while they work out the bugs. I like my X, and LOVE, love, LOVE (did I say love?) the Raven air suspension that was 75% of the reason for purchase... but I'd wager bang for your buck... get the Y. If you're old at heart like me and want to ride a couch everywhere - the X will do that, but expect more overall feelings of a car loosely held together with bubble gum and hope. (and mine is a 2019). The 3 just feels more solid - and I expect that to translate over to the Y. If you could put the suspension from the X on the Y... you'd have me sold. Of course I'd miss the auto doors, but I'd live. Also if you're into status symbols, the X is cool. if not, then no points for that. Also, check your insurance rates on both before committing. Just adding a data point. I expect some flames from X owners. But deal with it. It's a $80k car with the fit/finish slightly below a Honda. It's fun, and I still like it, but my 3 was better put together, without a doubt. I've personally had a S, 3, and X. so... it's not like I'm winging it with my impressions. (Among other cars).

Owning a 3 and an X... I can say with some certainty: the Y will be better put together. Get updates more often, and feel more solid. Of course, given the newness of the Y, I'd hold off a few months if you can while they work out the bugs. I like my X, and LOVE, love, LOVE (did I say love?) the Raven air suspension that was 75% of the reason for purchase... but I'd wager bang for your buck... get the Y. If you're old at heart like me and want to ride a couch everywhere - the X will do that, but expect more overall feelings of a car loosely held together with bubble gum and hope. (and mine is a 2019). The 3 just feels more solid - and I expect that to translate over to the Y. If you could put the suspension from the X on the Y... you'd have me sold. Of course I'd miss the auto doors, but I'd live. Also if you're into status symbols, the X is cool. if not, then no points for that. Also, check your insurance rates on both before committing. Just adding a data point. I expect some flames from X owners. But deal with it. It's a $80k car with the fit/finish slightly below a Honda. It's fun, and I still like it, but my 3 was better put together, without a doubt. I've personally had a S, 3, and X. so... it's not like I'm winging it with my impressions. (Among other cars).

Thanks for insight!

Also have a 3 and X. Other consideration is size. Do you need size of a mid-sized SUV or is compact suv enough? Fit and finish of 3 is definitely tighter than our older X. I was about to trade in X for Y but after seeing reviews on the size differences, decided to keep the X for now since we occasionally need a 3rd row that fits adults.

And we also have a 3 and an X. We test drove a Y recently.

It's a nice car, like my 3 but bigger. But my X-driving wife, despite occasionally complaining about the size of the X, has absolutely no interest in moving to a Y. The X just has too many nice little extra features. Here is a post in a similar thread that lists a few of them: X vs Y

But most of them are niceties rather than must-haves; and I agree that in the OP's price range, it would likely be an older X and so a new Y would probably make more sense.

For your family size and budget get the Y.. better range and new technology..
Agreed. We have a 3 and X. If you are getting a 5 seater X used, i would go with the Y instead new. Without a doubt. The X is an amazing vehicle, but too expensive and getting it used is not worth it when compared to the Y in my opinion. Plus you can probably pick up maybe a Performance Y, which will be loads of fun.

We have a 3 and the lease will be up on the X in 10 months. After driving the 3 a few times I think we will get another X. I prefer the size and ride of the X. Plus many of those packages I would have had to pay extra from in 2018 are now standard on the X and the price is way down.

If you don’t need a 3rd row, the Y has a huge advantage in not having the falcon wing doors. Just drove 2 hours to the nearest service center to get the ultrasonic FWD sensor fixed only to have the new one start acting up on the drive home. Mechanic was just like “they’ve been like that since 2016 and that’s just the way it is. Sorry”

I looked at a bunch of x's last fall before deciding to increase my budget.

$60k Xs are rare, or beaten to death. The depreciation just isn't there, or it's a 60D model or something.

Just my $0.02. We ended up with a Raven 'Standard' Range that doesn't exist anymore. Still nags the back of my head about not spending a few bucks more on the long range, but they had it sitting on lot and well I got it right then :)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Surprising to me that I’m in the minority so heavily but I had this choice 2 months ago and drove both, I went with a 17 P100D over a new Y after driving both. I don’t like the single screen, the comfort features on the X were better, and the falcon doors are “cool” (I don’t have any kids so they are just novelty).