Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wait or buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am ready to order Model Y LR AWD. However I read that several big improvements are being planned for Model Y in terms of new Battery (4680) and efficiency in rear under chasis which could lead to 5000 to 8000$ price reduction and longer range. Does it make sense to wait for another 6 months to buy the next gen better and cheaper Model Y? Or is it a mirage and we are talking about 1 to 2 years before these benefits are seen?

You won't see anything that substantial (engineering) likely not until Berlin is in production (EU cars only I believe) which will be at least a year, and I think battery pack longer. I also wouldn't expect to see anything like that much price reduction either. I would 100% say buy now based on this premise at least.

+1 pkitch - Unlikely to be significant Model Y updates until sometime in 2022. Granted, there may be small ones (projector lights?). I would be very surprised to see significant price reductions given where demand seems to be right now. Just take a look in the current delivery times thread to get a proxy for demand. Order now. Resale is likely to stay healthy should you want to upgrade in 2022-23.

This topic has been discussed over and over again in this forum. I really think that if one loves the car now, then one should buy and enjoy it. MY at its current price/spec is already enjoyable for myself and many others. If one is uncertain/concerned about future changes in specs/price, then wait for Texas Gigafactory to go operational and place order and find out the changes. No one will know exactly the changes unless you are Tesla insider. Even then, I would hope that insider will keep such info internal.

Good luck in your car shopping though 😉

I am ready to order Model Y LR AWD. However I read that several big improvements are being planned for Model Y in terms of new Battery (4680) and efficiency in rear under chasis which could lead to 5000 to 8000$ price reduction and longer range. Does it make sense to wait for another 6 months to buy the next gen better and cheaper Model Y? Or is it a mirage and we are talking about 1 to 2 years before these benefits are seen?
Order now, to lock in your price. Tell your SA to hold delivery. In six months time, if the price has decreased, they will honor the new price upon your request and you can take home the car with all the rumored changes. If not, you won’t be affected by the rumored price increases.
But in all honesty, 4680 fat cells and single piece rear casting probably won’t happen in six months. Giga Texas likely won’t come online until next year, and will take a year to ramp up enough to the point where a significant amount of stock will be produced there.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung