Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: We Need An After-market Option for Third Row Seating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a lot of people hate/d the Model S additional seating option that added two rear-facing seats for children, but I didn’t think it was that bad. (NOTE: Never owned the Model S; only test drove it, and my boys sat in the rear-facing seats. They were maybe six and eight years old at the time…???)

Candidly, I do NOT like the current third-row optional seating configuration for the Model Y. I just took delivery of my 2023 Model Y (LR/AWD), and I really wanted to get mine with a functional third row, but I opted not to get the third-row seating because I don’t believe it to be very functional at all. The leg room for the third-row seating is a joke!

I think TESLA should have gone with a rear facing option because this just makes more sense with the way the outer shell of the Model Y flows. Allow the heads of passengers in both the second row and the third row to rest just below the top of the rear hatch and not have third-row passengers’ heads connecting with the rear hatch glass mid-way down. These third-row passengers would have plenty of leg room in the very bottom of the rear of the Model Y.

If TESLA isn’t going to offer this option, then I think some after-market solution needs to enter the market. It should be removable, too. There are ways to anchor it down without disturbing the wiring or the battery pack. I can fit my family of five in my Model Y, but then there is no room for Grandma—unlike with my HONDA Odyssey. With the optional third-row (one that is actually functional), I could have my boys (ages 10 and 12) sit in the third-row, leaving plenty of space for my daughter, Grandma, and another rider in that middle row.

Come on, after-market manufacturers!!!

I know a lot of people hate/d the Model S additional seating option that added two rear-facing seats for children, but I didn’t think it was that bad. (NOTE: Never owned the Model S; only test drove it, and my boys sat in the rear-facing seats. They were maybe six and eight years old at the time…???)

Candidly, I do NOT like the current third-row optional seating configuration for the Model Y. I just took delivery of my 2023 Model Y (LR/AWD), and I really wanted to get mine with a functional third row, but I opted not to get the third-row seating because I don’t believe it to be very functional at all. The leg room for the third-row seating is a joke!

I think TESLA should have gone with a rear facing option because this just makes more sense with the way the outer shell of the Model Y flows. Allow the heads of passengers in both the second row and the third row to rest just below the top of the rear hatch and not have third-row passengers’ heads connecting with the rear hatch glass mid-way down. These third-row passengers would have plenty of leg room in the very bottom of the rear of the Model Y.

If TESLA isn’t going to offer this option, then I think some after-market solution needs to enter the market. It should be removable, too. There are ways to anchor it down without disturbing the wiring or the battery pack. I can fit my family of five in my Model Y, but then there is no room for Grandma—unlike with my HONDA Odyssey. With the optional third-row (one that is actually functional), I could have my boys (ages 10 and 12) sit in the third-row, leaving plenty of space for my daughter, Grandma, and another rider in that middle row.

Come on, after-market manufacturers!!!
We also have an Odyssey. You'll be hard pressed to find another vehicle that is as good at carrying 8 people. The sliding door and upright seating position makes for super easy ingress and egress.

We also have the 3 row MYLR. We have triplet 11 yr old boys. I sometimes drive my kids as well as their friends around. And it's for those situations that we got the 3 row MYLR. You are correct. Leg room in the 3rd row is abysmal. BUT, you can slide the second row forward, which creates as lot more room for the 3rd row occupants. My tallest kid is now 5'2". He's still comfortable back there with a few inches of headroom remaining. I think in about 3 years, it'll be too small for him. That's why I'm thinking of ordering a Rivian R1S. But in the meantime, when we have to drive our kids and their friends around, or when the grandparents are with us, the MYLR7 comes in very handy.