Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel for winter tyres in the GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV newbie question
Winters are messy and dangerous in the GTA.
Would 18" wheels/tyres provide more traction (more rubber, so softer, I guess)?
My winter driving will all be on "chill"

On another note, have you experienced skidding when the car brakes on regen only?

EV newbie question
Winters are messy and dangerous in the GTA.
Would 18" wheels/tyres provide more traction (more rubber, so softer, I guess)?
My winter driving will all be on "chill"

On another note, have you experienced skidding when the car brakes on regen only?
I had to try to force my X to slide, so no, regen is highly unlikely to cause sliding.

If you want to go down to 18” wheels on your Y, you’ll need to do your homework to determine which wheels will fit. Going down to 18” won’t yield any winter performance benefits really, just lower cost rims and tires. I have 19” winters on my Y and they perform just fine.

I can probably count on one hand how many times I’ve experienced slight fishtailing due to sudden regen braking on my old Model 3 but it was minimal and easily corrected with the accelerator. I don’t drive in chill mode ever, either. FWIW.

I went with replica R241 19x9.5 with Michelin x xice snow

Attachments

• IMG_5175.jpeg
    IMG_5175.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 99
Our experience is that the stock tires still feel slippery sometimes, we actually used 18" winter tires which is much better than the stock 19" all season ones. There are many places you can get good selections of rim/tire package, we found AIM in Markham is a pretty good choice and they also can store rim/tires