Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
On the main Model Y page on Tesla's website, they are now showing new wheels on the featured image of the vehicle (I don't recall this being the case?). These are not an option in the design studio, but we have seen them on the prototypes all over the country. I have a feeling these will be the standard Performance wheel:

Annotation 2020-01-24 151633.jpg

We've also seen Model Y's in the wild with the 19" Gemini wheels. Perhaps this will be the optional "Sports" wheel, and the 18" Aero will remain the standard wheel?

I am hoping for dark grey / black wheel options. It would also be nice if the performance model had a all season performance tire option. Here in Pittsburgh we can have 40 degree swings in a 24 hour period, plus a longer tread life would be a plus.

Last edited:
Would the 20" induction wheels that are available for the long range fit on the performance model. I'm not interested in the performance upgrade and don't much care for the look of the 19" Gemini"s..

According to a leak reported at teslarati, sidewall on 20" wheels is 102mm. Side wall on model 3 18" wheel is around 106mm. So you shouldn't really worry about the 20" o 19" wheels on model Y in my opinion.
i had been wondering too, thanks for the input. i had ordered mine with the 19's then they were switched by Tesla but i wasn't inclined to change unless there were issues with ride or damage.

by the way, i see you have named your white Y 'ziggy'. in my case, my adult son said 'oh look, stormtrooper colors' so i'm having a little fun with that

Attachments

• empire.jpg
    empire.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Funny
Reactions: db93
Do we think the 20" inductions will have issues with potholes? Or are we only worried about the 21" uberturbines?

My view here is certainly subjective, but hitting a pothole or similar hard enough, probably not going to matter much between any of these wheels. IMO some blend of aesthetics, range and performance capability are why you should make the decision that you should here. I'm in a hard winter area but the infrastructure isn't as bad here as it is many places to the east, and I've never had a problem where a sidewall with a bit more give was going to save me from the few flats I've had. More concerning not functionally but otherwise for me will be avoiding curbs, and also summer rubber included with the Ubers. They look good the more I'm slowly seeing, and will probably help performance a hair, but as much a PITA for additional cost and other risks as compared to the Inductions which will most likely be wrapped in A/S tires and have a bit more low speed protection.

Last edited:
My view here is certainly subjective, but hitting a pothole or similar hard enough, probably not going to matter much between any of these wheels. IMO some blend of aesthetics, range and performance capability are why you should make the decision that you should here. I'm in a hard winter area but the infrastructure isn't as bad here as it is many places to the east, and I've never had a problem where a sidewall with a bit more give was going to save me from the few flats I've had. More concerning not functionally but otherwise for me will be avoiding curbs, and also summer rubber included with the Ubers. They look good the more I'm slowly seeing, and will probably help performance a hair, but as much a PITA for additional cost and other risks as compared to the Inductions which will most likely be wrapped in A/S tires and have a bit more low speed protection.
I currently have a Volvo S90 plug in hybrid, with 20" low profile tires. Luckily I have wheel and tire insurance, because every time I hit a pot hole, I get a bubble in my tire (and damage to the rim). I swore to myself that I would never get wheels like that, again, but those 19" geminis are just not as pretty as the inductions.

Is there any way to get wheel and tire insurance on Tesla's?