Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have an extra set of 19” sport wheels from the Model 3, will they fit on the Model Y? Can’t find a definitive answer.

They might but I don’t think anyone knows the answer to this yet.

They will, the 3 and Y share the same bolt pattern (21mm HexNut with a 14x1.50 thread).

However, the Y's suspension, TPMS, and range calculators are probably tuned for the factory tires, which ride on wider and taller series tires compared to the 3 (255 vs 235).

So go for it, no one's stopping you.
Just remember that the wheel wells on the Y are much bigger than the 3, so appearance is something to keep an eye out for. In my opinion, it'd look a little comical to have Model 3 tires on a vehicle that's roughly the size of an X.

Reactions: UCF3
If I have an extra set of 19” sport wheels from the Model 3, will they fit on the Model Y? Can’t find a definitive answer.
I've reserved a MY with the induction wheels, but I may change to the standard wheels before finalizing the purchase. Hopefully at some point the M3 19" sport wheels become a MY option. IMHO they are the most practical and will look the best with the red exterior paint.

Reactions: UCF3
I've reserved a MY with the induction wheels, but I may change to the standard wheels before finalizing the purchase. Hopefully at some point the M3 19" sport wheels become a MY option. IMHO they are the most practical and will look the best with the red exterior paint.

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "practicality"?
If we're judging by sidewall, then the M3 19's actually have 20mm less sidewall compared to the MY's 19's and are more susceptible to potholes. The M3 19's are also narrower, at 8.5 inches wide compared to the 10-inch width on the MY.
If we're talking about range and efficiency, then the Sports are less aerodynamic compared to the Gemini's, which have aero covers like the 18's.

If we're talking about looks, then I agree with you 100%, the 19-inch Sport wheels look way better compared to the Gemini's.

Also, as a personal opinion, the 20-inch inductions look the best with Multicoat Red.

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "practicality"?
If we're judging by sidewall, then the M3 19's actually have 20mm less sidewall compared to the MY's 19's and are more susceptible to potholes. The M3 19's are also narrower, at 8.5 inches wide compared to the 10-inch width on the MY.
If we're talking about range and efficiency, then the Sports are less aerodynamic compared to the Gemini's, which have aero covers like the 18's.

If we're talking about looks, then I agree with you 100%, the 19-inch Sport wheels look way better compared to the Gemini's.

Also, as a personal opinion, the 20-inch inductions look the best with Multicoat Red.

One major consideration when comparing "practicality" is the replacement cost of tires. Judging from the prices I've seen at the local Costco tire center, low profile tires are generally considerably more expensive than comparable ones with higher sidewalls. Tire width to me is no big issue and potholes are not a major problem in our part of Southern California. Contrary to popular opinion, using a similar tread design and rubber formulation, a wider tire does not produce more traction on a normal road surface, although it may wear longer. Considering replacement tire cost and aesthetics, my conclusion is that the M3 sports wheels would be the best combination for a MY in red multicoat. Yes, the sports wheels may cost me a few miles in range compared to the Geminis but we get free charging at work.

We will be manufacturing a Fully Forged 21" Wheel Program for the Model Y.

Below is a rendition of our TS117 21" in Matte Black, which will come staggered for a direct swap.
tesla-model-y-21-inch-wheels-ts117.jpg

I'm so torn.. What would you guys do? Buy the induction wheels or wait a bit and buy some Tsportline wheels? I'm no car guy so how hard is it to take the tsportline wheels to a costco and have them swap them? lolll

15 mins top. Tsportline wheels are the easiest one to swap. But I do hope they have full forged options for 20" and 19".
You may want to find out if Tsportline plans on branding the ModelY rims the way they did the TSS wheels earlier this year. Completely ruined the rims IMO

One thing to be aware of that happened to me with aftermarket wheels for my Model 3. When I had a flat tire the first thing Tesla asked me was if the flat tire was on a Tesla wheel?
When I said no the option for Tesla to provide a spare tire on a Tesla wheel wasn't available. I ended up getting my car towed to Town Fair Tire.

You may want to find out if Tsportline plans on branding the ModelY rims the way they did the TSS wheels earlier this year. Completely ruined the rims IMO

100% Agree!
I believe the 20" TSS Flow will fit the Model Y. We have a set of unbranded ones available in the For Sale forum if anyone is interested. If they don't sell before we get the Model Y, we might temporarily replace the Uberturbines with them until snow season is over.

Any planned finishes other than black?
Good question. If they do this wheel like the TS117 21", Tsportline will eventually make a wide range of colors (see the 8 color options for Model S Tesla Model S 21). But they'll probably start with a smaller selection of colors (my guess is blacks & grays) and work up from there. I'd be interested to hear Tsportline's plans.

Last edited:
Good to know guys. I saw a Tesla Raj video of they coming to his house to replace his flat tire. I also didn't know about the tsportline branding, I though it was just the center cap which can be replaced with a Tesla one.

I love the space grey Tesla Model 3 wheels and would love an option similar to that but it seems like having the Tesla wheels through tesla is a better option.

Understanding that you'd want it off same way you'd want a donut wheel off, given that they share a bolt pattern, is there any reason I couldn't use a Model 3 wheel (from winter set) as a spare tire for a Model Y, particularly to be safe on a long trip?

Factory Performance package w/ 21" : F21x9.5 ET+40 & R21x10.5 ET+48

Although the official weight for the 21" performance pack has not been release, but its likely to be in between 35-40lb each base on the 21" Turbine Wheel from the Model S.

Our fully forged track series in factory spec will be approx. 23lb and 24.1lb each.

At this point, we can offer OEM spec to all Model Y owner who is seeking to reduce unsprung weight for their Y, the current lead time is 4 weeks plus 1 week shipping.

*Flush fitment spec will be release soon.

DM for intro special pricing.

Here is the rendering with our SV503 in Bronze.
90206664_220759775783211_4796220155883421696_n.jpg

Feel free to visit our thread on the Model 3 section: Signature Wheel Gallery | Fitment Q&A Thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruffles