Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if I can use my M3 18”x8 rims with the Y? It’s my after market winter setup using Michelin X-ICEs. Hoping to avoid the whole rim/tire purchase again once I get the Y but I suppose I could sell them for pennies on the dollar.

Plan to sell 3 for Y soon once I get the notice from Tesla mainly based on winter mountain conditions here

Anyone know if I can use my M3 18”x8 rims with the Y? It’s my after market winter setup using Michelin X-ICEs. Hoping to avoid the whole rim/tire purchase again once I get the Y but I suppose I could sell them for pennies on the dollar.

Plan to sell 3 for Y soon once I get the notice from Tesla mainly based on winter mountain conditions here

Unlikely, as the 18" wheels will probably not clear the larger brakes (good indication would be if they fit a model 3 Performance). Apart from that, the (Y) wheel diameter is larger, so the speed indicator will be off.

Unlikely, as the 18" wheels will probably not clear the larger brakes (good indication would be if they fit a model 3 Performance). Apart from that, the (Y) wheel diameter is larger, so the speed indicator will be off.
Aftermarket sites are selling 18” wheels for the Y breaks should be fine. Larger sidewalls on tires would make up for diameter so not an issue with speedo

Agreed in general, I was just responding to the specific question (model 3 size tires and assuming 18" model 3 aero wheels)
Yep. But I think the issue is with width. I think Y goes 8.5"

I'll probably either start all over again and get another set of rims/tires for winter or do what I've done on every other ICE car I've owned and go with good all season tires that actually work in the snow.

With regards to wheels, I always keep load rating in mind.

A Performance 3 has a Gross Rating of 4,806 lbs.
A Performance Y has a Gross Rating of 5,291 lbs.
~485lbs of difference

Just because you have a wheel with the same bolt pattern and correct outer diameter tire, doesn't mean the wheel will hold the load of the vehicle. It may hold a day, a week, a month, but from a long term sustainable daily driving perspective...
-------------------------------------------------
I'm no engineering expert, but there's a reason why Tesla chose a 9.5" width with a +45 offset on the Y. Deviating too far from those specs....who knows the outcome...???

In theory, you could install a 255/45-19 tire with the proper load, speed specs (104W XL), the inside of a 19" Model 3 sport wheel will sit 18mm away from the suspension and the outside of the wheel would sit 8mm away from the respective fender, so the positioning/track is off (even though the tire is the same).

I would think this wheel / tire setup is going to yield some questionable driving/handling results. Any suspension engineering professionals here?

Front will clear, not sure about rear.
Performance upgrade brake size

With regards to wheels, I always keep load rating in mind.

A Performance 3 has a Gross Rating of 4,806 lbs.
A Performance Y has a Gross Rating of 5,291 lbs.
~485lbs of difference

Just because you have a wheel with the same bolt pattern and correct outer diameter tire, doesn't mean the wheel will hold the load of the vehicle. It may hold a day, a week, a month, but from a long term sustainable daily driving perspective...
-------------------------------------------------
I'm no engineering expert, but there's a reason why Tesla chose a 9.5" width with a +45 offset on the Y. Deviating too far from those specs....who knows the outcome...???

In theory, you could install a 255/45-19 tire with the proper load, speed specs (104W XL), the inside of a 19" Model 3 sport wheel will sit 18mm away from the suspension and the outside of the wheel would sit 8mm away from the respective fender, so the positioning/track is off (even though the tire is the same).

I would think this wheel / tire setup is going to yield some questionable driving/handling results. Any suspension engineering professionals here?

We wouldn't call ourselves suspension engineer professionals, but we'd like to think we know about cars, wheels, tires and suspension and how they all work together.

1. @yearofthedragon has a point about load. Model 3 wheels 18" 19" 20" may simply not be load rated to hold the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of a Model Y. Will they physically fit, sure. Will they physically stay round and intact after all the road radial fatigue...?:rolleyes:

2. The driving dynamics & drivability/feel might just work less well with a Model 3 wheel on a Model Y tire. One will definitely have more weight transfer to the outside of the wheel. We drive heavy cars to begin with, and unnecessary consistent weight transfer to one side of the wheel is just asking for issues. The tire 255/45-19 on an 8.5" wheel will be more flexed, and increased/accelerated shoulder wear is imminent. As stated above, there's a reason Tesla chose a 9.5" wide wheel.

3. One will probably need more negative camber to compensate for the position of the new wheel/tire assembly.

4. The wheel/tire assembly will sit 8mm in from the stock Model Y position, which is just going to render the overall look of the vehicle worse.

First Model Y on Aftermarket Wheels on a Deep Blue Performance Y.

TST Flow Forged 20x10+40 on Michelin 255/40-20 AS3+ 101Y XL tires

Attachment-1.jpeg

Wheel n00b here, but will you produce a 19" rim for the Model Y? Read above on the 8.5" wheel for the Model 3 isn't appropriate. Could a 19" wheel be done for the Model Y, especially a one with Performance brakes? I need an alternative rim for winter.