Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you offering tire sensors that work with the Y? I switched my 19”s to your 20”s but my amazon aftermarket sensors don’t get picked up by the mode Y.

Thanks for the photo of the actual Tesla branded Bluetooth 2.4 GHz TPMS sensor.

PSA: You need Bluetooth BLE TPMS sensors for aftermarket/OE tire/wheel set up to work. The old 433 MHz TPMS sensors in Models S3X are not compatible with the Model Y.

FullSizeR.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: rklip and EVNation
Got my MYP yesterday and was nervous about having the 21 UT's. I love them!!! I'm in Florida so potholes are rare. Considering searching for a set of 19's that I can use for long road trips to extend range. Anyone selling a set, feel free to DM me.

Reactions: Nakk
Looking at a used set of aftermarket wheels from a model 3 performance and would like to know if they will fit a MY PUP.

Specs:
Front: 20x8.5 ET35 255/35/20
Rear: 20x10.5 ET43 305/30/20

Any help is appreciated

Compared to the Y's 21s, those wheels have 5mm less offset which will move them outboard 5mm. However the front rim you mention is 1" narrower, so the outside face of the rim 13mm further inboard; combine that with the offset and the outside face of the rim will be 8mm more inboard than the stock 21. The front tire width matches the 21s, so the tread of the new tire will be 5mm more outboard than the stock tire. The new rear tire is 30mm wider than the 21s, so it's tread will end up a total of 20mm further outboard (30/2 + 5) than the stock tread--over 3/4". Diameter will be in the neighborhood of 27", so you'll be about 1/2" lower. They'll fit and drive, but my guess after looking at my Y PUP is that the rears will rub the fenders over bumps. Just a guess though, I've not tried fitting them obviously. The new rears tread will be 10mm further inboard on the inside as well. Will that rub at steering lock? You'd have to fit them to see. Also, your car would be quicker with the new tires as the effective gearing would be lower due to smaller tire diameter.

Reactions: MSM_Y_Bruh
Got my MYP yesterday and was nervous about having the 21 UT's. I love them!!! I'm in Florida so potholes are rare. Considering searching for a set of 19's that I can use for long road trips to extend range. Anyone selling a set, feel free to DM me.

Yeah, I'm really loving my 21s too. I have Martian 19s on the way, but I am reconsidering my original plan to sell the 21s. I might just use the Martians for winter tires...

Compared to the Y's 21s, those wheels have 5mm less offset which will move them outboard 5mm. However the front rim you mention is 1" narrower, so the outside face of the rim 13mm further inboard; combine that with the offset and the outside face of the rim will be 8mm more inboard than the stock 21. The front tire width matches the 21s, so the tread of the new tire will be 5mm more outboard than the stock tire. The new rear tire is 30mm wider than the 21s, so it's tread will end up a total of 20mm further outboard (30/2 + 5) than the stock tread--over 3/4". Diameter will be in the neighborhood of 27", so you'll be about 1/2" lower. They'll fit and drive, but my guess after looking at my Y PUP is that the rears will rub the fenders over bumps. Just a guess though, I've not tried fitting them obviously. The new rears tread will be 10mm further inboard on the inside as well. Will that rub at steering lock? You'd have to fit them to see. Also, your car would be quicker with the new tires as the effective gearing would be lower due to smaller tire diameter.

20" Model Y Tire = 255/40-20 = 28" outer diameter
vs.
255/35-20 = 27" outer diameter
= 1" short up front

20" Model Y Tire = 255/40-20 = 28" outer diameter
vs.
305/30-20 = ~27.2"
= still about 1" short

Ultimately, your speedometer will be off.

The tires probably aren't load rated for a Y either. Most 255/35-20 are 97 load. On a 20" for a Y, you need at least a 101 load rating.

...and as @Nakk said above, the offsets are all out of whack for a Y.

#PASS

Reactions: MSM_Y_Bruh
For the MY, is it possible to keep the ubberturbine wheels that came with the performance upgrade and simply purchase new 21" tires that are all season and higher sidewall profile? Thanks

Larger circumference tire will result in speedometer not displaying accurate speed. Real world example: if you switch to a 255/40-21 up front, when your speedometer displays 70, you're really driving 67.

Larger circumference tire will result in speedometer not displaying accurate speed. Real world example: if you switch to a 255/40-21 up front, when your speedometer displays 70, you're really driving 67.
Thank You. I am looking forward. These pZeros may not last long. And we do get some snowy weather here outside dc. Im willing to take the ODo hit. I am attempting to not absorb the cost of new wheels. So the thought was all season tires with a higher sidewall. Perhaps not possible.

I too am interested in third party TPMS sensors for the Model Y. Anyone know whether the universal 2.4ghz bluetooth TPMS are compatible? Here's an example of one available on the ID Carid website. The same one appears to be available on Amazon.

We have a limited supply of Model Y TPMS we are packing with our Wheel & Tire Packages only. From what Tesla tells us, some Y's have the updated software where the new sensors will sync to car, where some need to get the update pushed from their local service center.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We have a limited supply of Model Y TPMS we are packing with our Wheel & Tire Packages only. From what Tesla tells us, some Y's have the updated software where the new sensors will sync to car, where some need to get the update pushed from their local service center.

Anybody here (TMC forum) have the SW version with TPMS Reset or Wheel Configuration function on their Model Y, or have Tesla SC pushed them the said update?

I am on SW Version 2020.12.11.1 PUP Y - No TPMS Reset/Wheel Config function.

Wheel: 20” TSS Flow Forged
Finish: Matte Black
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3+ 255/40/20 101Y XL
Other: Uses factory lug nuts & our matte black lug nut covers, accepts factory center cap, uses original Bluetooth TPMS. Fits all Model Y variants (Long Range Dual Motor, Performance Stealth, Performance).

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-y-20-inch-tss-flow-forged-wheels-matte-black-wm-1.jpg

midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-y-20-inch-tss-flow-forged-wheels-matte-black-wm-2.jpg

midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-y-20-inch-tss-flow-forged-wheels-matte-black-wm-3.jpg