Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel Question for a 20"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead test drove and placed a Model Y order few days ago white with 19" wheels
I'm a current Model 3 owner.
Will a Model 3 20" performance wheel work on a Model Y non performance?

folks who purchased a Model Y with 20" wheels what is the tire size?

Reactions: Adman2298
I went ahead test drove and placed a Model Y order few days ago white with 19" wheels
I'm a current Model 3 owner.
Will a Model 3 20" performance wheel work on a Model Y non performance?

folks who purchased a Model Y with 20" wheels what is the tire size?

The short answer is yes, the M3 20" Sportwheels will fit any Y.

You will need 255/40R20 tires to match the Y 20" OE tire dimensions.

One caveat, for one, is that we do not know the Load Rating of the M3 20" Sportwheels - meaning there is no concrete proof that the M3 wheel is capable of handling the weight of the Y.

The are several threads in here about using M3 wheels on Y, let me know if I can help answer anymore of your questions.

IMG_8022.jpg

Nice FLOW forged wheels.

Let's not confuse with a cnc machined forged wheel. Anyone who wants to understand difference:

Flow Forged / Rotary Forged / Flow Formed / Advanced Rim Technology / etc.

Machine Forged:
Thx. I didn’t really think I needed to explain it to everyone hut thank you. I am well aware of the differences. It’s a cost vs use issue for me. I can’t really justify that difference. $500 per wheel for Flow Forged vs $1500-$1800 for forged block. The weight gain isn’t that much and I am not racing on a teach. Certainly better if you have the need or money is not object.

The short answer is yes, the M3 20" Sportwheels will fit any Y.

You will need 255/40R20 tires to match the Y 20" OE tire dimensions.

One caveat, for one, is that we do not know the Load Rating of the M3 20" Sportwheels - meaning there is no concrete proof that the M3 wheel is capable of handling the weight of the Y.

The are several threads in here about using M3 wheels on Y, let me know if I can help answer anymore of your questions.

View attachment 542397

Hi Roborat,

Did you have to have the wheels modified or bored in anyway or is it a clean fit with the tires you mentioned above?

If I wanted to achieve the same look with the model 3 performance wheels then I should just buy the wheels without tires and buy the 255/40R 20?

How’s the ride quality? Thanks in advance

Hi Roborat,

Did you have to have the wheels modified or bored in anyway or is it a clean fit with the tires you mentioned above?

If I wanted to achieve the same look with the model 3 performance wheels then I should just buy the wheels without tires and buy the 255/40R 20?

How’s the ride quality? Thanks in advance

No mods, had them powder coated black.
You will need Tesla OE Bluetooth TPMS sensors $75 each from Service Center. No programming needed just install.

The tires, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, were good fit looks square with just enough edge for curb protection.

The setup was smoother (less jarring over bumps) than 21s, but the tires have droning hum sometimes but not on all roads at 50-70sh mph.

I have since went to 19 Geminis. I was hoping for cheaper aftermarket Bluetooth TPMS Sensors to replace the ones I have (non Tesla did not work - shows errors) on the 255 20 setup..but only Tesla OE will work.

In fact, I am thinking of selling the tires and wheels since I have 19 Geminis now.

If you are in SoCal and interested let me know...

20200511_170155.jpg

No mods, had them powder coated black.
You will need Tesla OE Bluetooth TPMS sensors $75 each from Service Center. No programming needed just install.

The tires, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, were good fit looks square with just enough edge for curb protection.

The setup was smoother (less jarring over bumps) than 21s, but the tires have droning hum sometimes but not on all roads at 50-70sh mph.

I have since went to 19 Geminis. I was hoping for cheaper aftermarket Bluetooth TPMS Sensors to replace the ones I have (non Tesla did not work - shows errors) on the 255 20 setup..but only Tesla OE will work.

In fact, I am thinking of selling the tires and wheels since I have 19 Geminis now.

If you are in SoCal and interested let me know...

View attachment 553609

Thanks for the info! I’m in NorCal but am willing to make a trip if it’s worth it. How much are you selling your set for?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
@RoBoRaT — It seems as though you went to some considerable effort to source/powder coat your 20” setup: why are you selling? They look great btw—I ask as I am seriously considering Model 3 20s on our Model Y (when it finally arrives). Do tell.... Thanks.

@MJP.P3D-

They do look good!

One unknown is the Load Rating for the 20" M3 Sportwheels. That is the one factor that stops me from using this as an all season set.

We know that the 20 Sportwheels can support Performance Model 3 GVWR, so I remind myself to not go over that load on the Y.

The 255 Michelin has just right rubber to provide some curb rash protection. They ride smoother than 21s too.

Also, I still don't have compatible Bluetooth TPMS sensors - only way to be compatible with Y SW is going OE TPMS sensors at $75 each.
The aftermarket Bluetooth sensor I have in works (separate phone app monitor), but the Y screen shows TPMS fault. I was hoping Tesla SC or some tool can program them but no.

I was thinking I can use the Sportwheels on my M3, and sell the 255 Michelins if it comes down to parting them.

So - someone please help me find the Load Rating for them Sportwheels!

Last edited:
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Looks great! Keep us up to date with the wh/mi.

Thanks!
Maybe I missed it but has anyone tried 19" forged wheels with 255/55/R19 as an all season swap for the 21" on the Model Y performance?
I'm considering that, or 20" forged with 255/40/R20. Basically looking for a combo that will not look too small (since I'm getting used to the 21s) and provide plenty of sidewall and comfort.

Maybe I missed it but has anyone tried 19" forged wheels with 255/55/R19 as an all season swap for the 21" on the Model Y performance?
I'm considering that, or 20" forged with 255/40/R20. Basically looking for a combo that will not look too small (since I'm getting used to the 21s) and provide plenty of sidewall and comfort.

I run 20s forged on my Model Y Performance summer only tires and 19s forged winter tires. The 19s are from my model 3 performance. Only saying that because they fit the Y well. The ride quality is better to me than on the 21s. But that’s subjective.
E30ED80D-9DCB-4F38-82B6-2755516B5F86.jpeg
FDB1FE9C-B16C-4523-BE2D-61B4193F940D.jpeg
0BC80D8C-8DEE-4D53-A13E-E0CD04BA58ED.jpeg

Last edited: