Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel squeak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I bought a MYP last September and ever since I got it it’s made a squeak sound at very slow speeds (under 5mph). I’ve brought it in several times to Tesla and they haven’t been able to fix it. They think it’s the breaks but I’ve used the breaks purposefully for months and it hasn’t gone away. They’ve also tried burnishing the breaks and it goes away for a day or so and comes back. Anyone have a similar problem or know what it could be? Here is a link to a video with the sound (sorry for the wind noise).

Ah you are referring to the high pitched sound. No idea what it is. My rear passenger wheel make a creaking sound which directly relates to rate of acceleration. MYP 2022 (12/2021 build).
Creaking sound… is it like a metal clicking sound?

This is issue with axel hub and spline. Requires lubrication of spline and retorque the axel hub to spec. Can make service appointment to have this looked at.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Creaking sound… is it like a metal clicking sound?

This is issue with axel hub and spline. Requires lubrication of spline and retorque the axel hub to spec. Can make service appointment to have this looked at.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like metal on metal (I uploaded a video in my first post with the sound). I was worried it could be axel/hub related but break burnishing does temporarily fix it which is why I wasn’t convinced.

Yes I know what's happening this happens to me every freaking 5months.... So your rotors are glazed. Basically what's happening is that the break pads are rubbing on your rotors as you drive so the heat then glazes your rotors causing the squeak. So what I saw from a different forum someone mentioned try sanding your rotors with 50grit angle grinder.... and sure enough when I did it, the squeak is gone for 5-6months and then it comes back... Tesla doesn't do crap about it and it's annoying... The more I research it, more folks are saying that the break pad mounts are not moving back and forth smoothly, so the break pads are constantly rubbing on the rotors so it's glazing the rotors. I'm still trying to find out how to lubricate or loosen the firmness on the brake pads... once I find out I'll let you know.

Reactions: Crypto2k3
Exact same issue on a M3, started happening a few months after buying the car. Had two service center visits, both provided very temporary relief. First time, technician sanded down the rotors, even though he couldn't diagnose any particular issue. Did not have any rocks or debris in brake shield, as per manual. Seemed to help for a few days, then issue returned. Second visit/technician, he burnished the brakes, slammed on the brakes really hard multiple times at hwy speeds, again seemed to help for a week but sound returns. Always on same wheel. Spraying water on the rotor and pads seems to help for a bit, but squeaking returns. Ekimble83 and Crypto2k3, if you ever find any solution pls share!