Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Wheels/Tires in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Potential Model Y customer in the Florida Panhandle. I’m trying to decide what wheels/tires I would order. I love the look of the induction wheels, but heard the ride is a bit softer on the Gemini’s. I know there are other threads about this, but I’m seeing some of the feedback is location specific (road quality, weather/snow, etc.). So I wanted to put this question out there for the Florida folks. Has anyone who owns or has driven the Y in the area noticed a difference in the ride quality between the two wheel/tire options? Ride quality is fairly important to me (Palisade owner), but not sure how much of that is an issue in this area. I feel like our road quality is fairly decent compared to what others mention in the NE. Any feedback would be great!

FYI I know the best option would be to test drive them both, but I think my local test drive options may be limited.

I've read here that many folks switch to the Gemini's due to better ride quality.
I have the Gemini's on mine from the factory.
The main thing to understand is that these tires operate at a high psi.
I keep mine inflated to between 42-45 psi. I find the ride firm but not unpleasant on
the south Florida mainly good roads. You can further improve the ride quality by
reducing tire pressure thus providing a softer ride. The problem with the induction wheels
is that there is very little sidewall (on all large tires). The more sidewall the softer the ride.

I've never driven on anything but the Gemini's so I can't give you any comparison feedback.

Reactions: benboy12
I've read here that many folks switch to the Gemini's due to better ride quality.
I have the Gemini's on mine from the factory.
The main thing to understand is that these tires operate at a high psi.
I keep mine inflated to between 42-45 psi. I find the ride firm but not unpleasant on
the south Florida mainly good roads. You can further improve the ride quality by
reducing tire pressure thus providing a softer ride. The problem with the induction wheels
is that there is very little sidewall (on all large tires). The more sidewall the softer the ride.

I've never driven on anything but the Gemini's so I can't give you any comparison feedback.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

I live in Tampa and had Geminis. I found a cheap set of 21" Uberturbines and swapped them. I don't do much driving on a weekly basis but never found the Uberturbines to be bad. Which gets me back to your question, I don't think you would notice much of a difference especially if you are unable to directly compare. Get what you like visually, but know, with less sidewall comes more responsibility. :)