Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y White Interior & Full Self Driving option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an order for a Model Y, but still have some open questions. Any recommendations1) After test driving one today, we're considering the Red exterior/white interior. However, I'm wondering how others have found the white interior to hold up so far? Reading posts have here have indicated the glare from the dash when driving in the day. However, it seems there ways to customize the dash and center panel outside of the white factory option that comes with it. What's some good websites or parts I can consider for replacement/installation? 2) Is the Full Self Driving option worth the $8K investment now?

1. White interior is amazing and you will regret not getting it! There's no glare if you have standard polarized sunglasses and there are many options for swapping out the dash or you can wrap it.

2. FSD might be worth it if you plan on keeping your car for a while and adding it to the eventual RoboTaxi fleet. Standard Autopilot is great and really all you need. Still a ways away from full self driving in ALL driving scenarios. Plus it's fun to drive your car.

I'd also rather invest $8k in TSLA stonk instead of FSD, but that's just me

Love my white interior.
20200826_120407.jpg

Thanks for all the quick responses. We are leaning to not opt for the FSD upgrade upon delivery based on the feedback here. Sold on the white interior too. While we will stick with the white interior, the factory dash is something we really do want to replace with other options upfront. Do the parts for the model 3 dash, fit with the Y. Any recommendations on sites or parts I can consider for options?

Buying or not buying FSD is a gamble. I have it and like it. Right now I don’t think it’s worth $8k. So why did I buy it then? I believe once more software updates are rolled out over the next year or so it will probably go up in cost. At that point it might be a “must have” but at that point you have to pay a lot more to upgrade. Again, it’s a gamble and it’s hard to say which decision is the winning hand in the end.

Buying or not buying FSD is a gamble. I have it and like it. Right now I don’t think it’s worth $8k. So why did I buy it then? I believe once more software updates are rolled out over the next year or so it will probably go up in cost. At that point it might be a “must have” but at that point you have to pay a lot more to upgrade. Again, it’s a gamble and it’s hard to say which decision is the winning hand in the end.
This was pretty much my thinking in why I bought FSD (it was before EAP was offered). I’m betting that Tesla will release new features and improve it over the next 1-2 years.

Reactions: phil4791eng
This was pretty much my thinking in why I bought FSD (it was before EAP was offered). I’m betting that Tesla will release new features and improve it over the next 1-2 years.
There’s simple things like the traffic lights and chime that I believe you only get with FSD. It would be nice to have a “turn off FSD” button so you can see what you have exactly with and without it.

We have an order for a Model Y, but still have some open questions. Any recommendations1) After test driving one today, we're considering the Red exterior/white interior. However, I'm wondering how others have found the white interior to hold up so far? Reading posts have here have indicated the glare from the dash when driving in the day. However, it seems there ways to customize the dash and center panel outside of the white factory option that comes with it. What's some good websites or parts I can consider for replacement/installation? 2) Is the Full Self Driving option worth the $8K investment now?

I have that exact Model Y (Red w white interior + FSD).

I also have a 2019 Model 3 (Black w white interior + FSD) With 25000 miles on it.

Glare is much better than the Model 3. They seem to have fixed that on the dash. Don’t change anything but the centre console. I got a white wrap for it on amazon and it’s amazing.

If you plan to use your car as a Robotaxi later, then yes it’s worth the investment. Otherwise autopilot does mostly everything except summon at parking lots (which is still buggy but getting better with each update).

I bought it twice, so I think it’s worth it.

Congrats!
A9DD3040-06D0-46B0-87D4-24EC574F064C.jpeg

I also have a 2019 Model 3 (Black w white interior + FSD) With 25000 miles on it.

Glare is much better than the Model 3. They seem to have fixed that on the dash. Don’t change anything but the centre console. I got a white wrap for it on amazon and it’s amazing.

If you plan to use your car as a Robotaxi later, then yes it’s worth the investment. Otherwise autopilot does mostly everything except summon at parking lots (which is still buggy but getting better with each update).

Congrats!
View attachment 592905
I completely disagree that FSD only has Summon above the lower options. I have FSD and I have Summon turned off because it’s really not an important feature for anyone.

Congrats!
View attachment 592905
Great License Plate!

Reactions: Mansley
Thanks for all the quick responses. We are leaning to not opt for the FSD upgrade upon delivery based on the feedback here. Sold on the white interior too. While we will stick with the white interior, the factory dash is something we really do want to replace with other options upfront. Do the parts for the model 3 dash, fit with the Y. Any recommendations on sites or parts I can consider for options?
I am unsure if you can easily reject FSD on delivery. Wouldn't they have already installed the upgrade computer on the car by then?

I got the acceleration boost and my 7 year old ended up getting sick. He threw up all over my backseat, with white interior. I'm happy to say that the white interior was extremely easy to clean up and it still looks absolutely brand new.

• Funny
Reactions: Mansley