Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Window Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can tint Model Y with no issues. Many folks on the forums have tinted their Model Y.

FYI - For vehicles with the tight tolerances you mentioned you can use moleskin to prevent the tint from scratching. Most high quality films are not susceptible to scratching easily.

Just make sure your installer knows to protect the Model Y dashboard from getting wet. When applying tint to the windshield it is possible to damage the electronics behind the dash board with the slip solution used to position the tint film.

Is this the lightest ie clearest tint?

No. 90 is the lightest, clearest tint I've seen offered. 3M Crystalline does sell a form of 90, and other brands do as well. Most people however, put 70 or 80 on their windshield, and for them, that's light enough. Me, I can actually see a faint tinge of color in a 70 or 80, so that's why....90.

5 is the darkest (this is the shade that's currently on the roof, sandwiched between two thick layers of glass) and 90 is the lightest. The back window and the rear sides currently have a shade of 25. Those windows aren't actually tinted with a film, they're darkened glass.

Tesla owners, I tinted my model Y last week, I use 20% ceramic tint on front diver and passenger side, and 60% on the windshield.

I was afraid the 20% tint and the windshield would be too dark, but the guy sold me and I am very pleased with the choice. Car looks great and it reduced the heat inside of it drastically!

If you are on the fence about 20% and 35% I would recommend 20%, also 60% on windshield looks great.

Fairfield CT - Auto Spa of Fairfield CT

Attachments

• IMG_5482.jpeg
    IMG_5482.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 2,150
  • IMG_5481.jpeg
    IMG_5481.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    888.9 KB · Views: 1,185
  • IMG_5479.jpeg
    IMG_5479.jpeg
    893.1 KB · Views: 1,121
  • IMG_5477.jpeg
    IMG_5477.jpeg
    862.8 KB · Views: 1,124
  • IMG_5476.jpeg
    IMG_5476.jpeg
    625.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • IMG_5475.jpeg
    IMG_5475.jpeg
    879.6 KB · Views: 1,156
  • IMG_5474.jpeg
    IMG_5474.jpeg
    888.7 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_5473.jpeg
    IMG_5473.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_5472.jpeg
    IMG_5472.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,471
Tesla owners, I tinted my model Y last week, I use 20% ceramic tint on front diver and passenger side, and 60% on the windshield.

I was afraid the 20% tint and the windshield would be too dark, but the guy sold me and I am very pleased with the choice. Car looks great and it reduced the heat inside of it drastically!

If you are on the fence about 20% and 35% I would recommend 20%, also 60% on windshield looks great.

Fairfield CT - Auto Spa of Fairfield CT
I am reluctant to go 20% in California at the risk of getting pulled over (happened to my friend on a Honda Pilot). However, that 20% on the front Windows does match perfectly. Very nice and thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Sw3rv3c1ty
I did 70% all around except roof. Yeah, its barely noticeable. I think dark tints are dangerous if they prevent other drivers and pedestrians for being able to tell where the driver is looking. I don't wave to my neighbors when I can't tell if they're waving back.
I have 70% ceramic tint all around except for 5% for roof. The factory roof was still kind of hot under direct summer sun to me. I agree that tint is good to a point, but not at the expense of safety by reducing visibility.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Love it Vinny L !!!!

Ive got the exact same car, 20% on front as well.

So in doing 5% on roof, did it make it much darker ? Did it help with heat ? What type of tint was used ?

I was at the tint shop yesterday, they were doing a Model S and had 50% on windshield. Looked insanely cool. Dont know if it would be too dark at night, and yeah def. illegal (although its rare for a cop to have a tint tester for windshields). Also you can get around the 20% on side windows if you visit an optometrist and get them to sign the waiver stating you need it.

Vinny now that thing needs tinted tails/headlights, and lowered about 1" and it will be incredible. Im going for this same look.

I did 70% all around except roof. Yeah, its barely noticeable. I think dark tints are dangerous if they prevent other drivers and pedestrians for being able to tell where the driver is looking. I don't wave to my neighbors when I can't tell if they're waving back.
I also pay attention to where other drivers are looking.
But, as a motorcycle rider for 30+ years, don't rely on where someone is looking. Probably hundreds of cars have pulled out in front of me while staring directly at me...
You could say tint makes it safer since you can't see the other person and assume what they are going to do so your senses are heightened. Personally I like tint to cut down on heat and glare.