Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Windshield crack, no chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peelz

Budding EV fanatic.
Apr 10, 2021
SE Iowa, the armpit.
watched my wife pull the Y into the driveway after work yesterday, windshield fine. Leave 30 minutes later for tacos, her and the kids in the car, I walk up, they're pointing at passenger side windshield. 8" crack emanating from the edge...

ZERO evidence of a rock chip and she never heard one.... so not sure where it came from. But it was NOT there when she got home.

Car is 4 months old. Have appt in St Louis Tuesday, but that's a 3 hr drive, not super thrilled about that but I knew this difficulty when we signed up....

Curious: What are the chances warranty handles this? And if not, WTF. lol

photo not working-ill fix that in a sec.

It will be extremely hard to get the windshield replaced under warranty unless there are known and documented issues with the windshield (highly doubt it) by Tesla.
It will be way easier and faster to go through the insurance claim.

Reactions: Peelz
again-no rock. just cracked sitting there.... photo:

image0 (3).jpeg

Really just sucks I know my wife is going to drive down there and get to drive right back lol

So I guess my question is how would you go about it...

1. Go to Tesla first? Get quote, pray for warranty? We have $500 ded. Progressive.

2. Straight to insurance, let them figure it out?

Regular car I would just pay for it, but I expect the windshield is $1000 plus and nobody has it....

If there is no signs of a rock chip then it's more than likely a stress crack and Tesla should cover it as long as the car is not that old. They probably have a warranty time limit on things like that. I use to be in the auto glass business and worked with many car dealers and that's how they use to work with their customers.

called and got no answer. Do the tesla shops give you a loaner car?

I feel a little less than pleased at the prospect of my wife being without her $60k car for 3 weeks plus have to do 24 hrs of driving to get it repaired, only to pay $1300 dollars for a repair that should be a warranty.... the car is 4 months old.

well....I called safelite they wont do it at all lol

I have this feeling Ill be one of those horror stories about tesla shops....and I really don't wanna be. :eek:

messaged the service center with my questions.

Got a nasty crack in my windshield right after purchase. Same thing happened in my 3. These things are rock magnets. I went with Safelite to fix it and they're charging me $160 to come to my home and repair it while I work.
Just curious....you can get your windshield replaced from Safelite? I just assumed you still have to take it to the SC to get it re-calibrated, right?

Model S windshield was $850-ish at Tesla service. In and out in 4 hours.

State Farm has Tesla glass listed as manufacturer only and had no problem paying.

There is a glass category in the app for scheduling an appointment. That’s the best way to get the conversation going with Tesla.

ok well.....

strike the part about no chip. lol

took my LED shop light to it. its the worlds tiniest chip just inside the black tinted area of the shield and it spread. Passenger side. just didnt notice it :(

Appt at Bloomington Ill now, the 21st... its an insurance claim. Going to drill the end to stop it spreading.

Got my windshield cracked by rock first week of june... went to safelite.. filled it in with some goo.. heated and shaved off rest with razor blade.. but still could see the crack... anyways made an appt for windshield replacement.. they finally got in glass 2nd week of august!!!! anyways $1300 later.. all is good.. sent my bill to allstate... waiting for payment...