Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Windshield crack, no chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla fixed in one day, wife got an old model S to drive around Bloomington. how exciting lol

Insurance a struggle. the fact it is a reimbursement, I wont get my payout for 30 days. progressive....

I expected difficulty on some things, because its only a year and a half old car model.... but it still sucks.

Tesla fixed in one day, wife got an old model S to drive around Bloomington. how exciting lol

Insurance a struggle. the fact it is a reimbursement, I wont get my payout for 30 days. progressive....

I expected difficulty on some things, because its only a year and a half old car model.... but it still sucks.
State Farm had a check in my hand, before the repair. Based on the estimate.

I did book the replacement out 3-4 weeks based on my schedule, so that helped.

watched my wife pull the Y into the driveway after work yesterday, windshield fine. Leave 30 minutes later for tacos, her and the kids in the car, I walk up, they're pointing at passenger side windshield. 8" crack emanating from the edge...

ZERO evidence of a rock chip and she never heard one.... so not sure where it came from. But it was NOT there when she got home.

Car is 4 months old. Have appt in St Louis Tuesday, but that's a 3 hr drive, not super thrilled about that but I knew this difficulty when we signed up....

Curious: What are the chances warranty handles this? And if not, WTF. lol

photo not working-ill fix that in a sec.
Hey did Tesla cover it ? Or did you pay out pocket? I have the same exact problem with MY LR. I just got my Model Y two weeks ago and last Friday my wife and I was leaving to take a long drive from Seattle to Vancouver BC. My wife noticed the cracked from the passenger side. It was a long cracked from top edge to about 4 inches below the rear view mirror with no signs of rock chips or puncture. It looks like it cracked by itself.

Attachments

• 488B68EE-FC5C-434E-8ACE-49A5CED9FDB9.jpeg
    488B68EE-FC5C-434E-8ACE-49A5CED9FDB9.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 30921320-FE6E-4517-87C5-97CB87D804D5.jpeg
    30921320-FE6E-4517-87C5-97CB87D804D5.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 128
  • F5A845E6-6799-4C4F-99C2-FF5DCE501506.jpeg
    F5A845E6-6799-4C4F-99C2-FF5DCE501506.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 138
Hey did Tesla cover it ? Or did you pay out pocket? I have the same exact problem with MY LR. I just got my Model Y two weeks ago and last Friday my wife and I was leaving to take a long drive from Seattle to Vancouver BC. My wife noticed the cracked from the passenger side. It was a long cracked from top edge to about 4 inches below the rear view mirror with no signs of rock chips or puncture. It looks like it cracked by itself.

Nope no warranty like i t hought.

rock chip. insurance claim. $500 deductible, I had Had to pay in full, waiting for progressive to hurry up and payout already. They need to fix their system. Their glass claims Goes directly through safelite, but safelite doesnt replace tesla windshields. So its kinda of a circle of nonsense.

I have a 1/2 inch crack on the passenger side caused by a rock impact. Filed the claim immediately with my insurance co. ($50 deductible) and went to Safelite. They were very knowledgable about Tesla glass, but at this time, said to just leave it and keep watch on it, because attempting to fix it will make it worse. It has been about a week and it hasn't spread, and the weather here has been up in the mid 60s and down below freezing, with pre-heating the car, nothing has spread yet. I've had my local SC (Sterling, VA) already replace the roof and windshield previously, and it was pretty painless.

I have a 1/2 inch crack on the passenger side caused by a rock impact. Filed the claim immediately with my insurance co. ($50 deductible) and went to Safelite. They were very knowledgable about Tesla glass, but at this time, said to just leave it and keep watch on it, because attempting to fix it will make it worse. It has been about a week and it hasn't spread, and the weather here has been up in the mid 60s and down below freezing, with pre-heating the car, nothing has spread yet. I've had my local SC (Sterling, VA) already replace the roof and windshield previously, and it was pretty painless.

lucky.

LOL

Safgelite flat out just said "we dont do tesla windshields" LOL

but thats replacing, not fixing.

PS. Have a Tesla Y just one-year-old and got a crack in the windshield. No rock that we heard. Just came out one morning to a 6" crack?! We have had some seriously cold weather. I wondering about the temperature changes and if there is something in the design that makes the model susceptible to

PS. Have a Tesla Y just one-year-old and got a crack in the windshield. No rock that we heard. Just came out one morning to a 6" crack?! We have had some seriously cold weather. I wondering about the temperature changes and if there is something in the design that makes the model susceptible to
JillH, look for a very small chip along the crack. Probably a stone.
yep.

I shouted form the rooftops it was a flaw. looked at close with reading glasses on and shop light. small crack. I think they are a little weak but, they rarely just "crack"

Just following up - have experienced many broad swings in temperature, freezing rain, snowstorms, highway driving, etc. and there has been no change at all to the 1/2 inch crack. So no reason to repair at this time.

Reactions: Peelz
Today a rock hit my Tesla MYP & caused a 10” crack. Extremely frustrating car is 1 month old and less than 500 miles. Submitted a claim thru State Farm using their app. Waiting to hear back. Question I have can glass shops do the replacement (are oem windshields available and how long to get one). And are they able to calibrate the cameras or does Tesla SC have to do that? Thanks for any info.

Today a rock hit my Tesla MYP & caused a 10” crack. Extremely frustrating car is 1 month old and less than 500 miles. Submitted a claim thru State Farm using their app. Waiting to hear back. Question I have can glass shops do the replacement (are oem windshields available and how long to get one). And are they able to calibrate the cameras or does Tesla SC have to do that? Thanks for any info.
I believe State Farm had Tesla glass listed as OEM is ok. I did mine at Tesla and submitted the receipt to State Farm and it was covered. Cheaper at Tesla than at other body shops.

Just noticed a huge crack in my MY windshield, dead center starting at the edge above the rear view mirror and extending midway down the windshield. Never heard or felt a rock while driving, car is garage-kept. Safelite just quoted me $2012 to replace it. I can't believe this.
AB9A90EF-7F10-4E3E-B246-20AA4FC047E1_1_102_o.jpeg
6BED0879-EEFC-46A5-BE92-BE0F7688FAB7_1_102_o.jpeg

Zero deductible Comprehensive insurance is your friend. It's pretty cheap here in NJ with State Farm. I've had many free windshield replacements and 3 deer encounter repairs over my 50 years with State Farm and it never resulted in a premium increase.