Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Windshield Haze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, new Model Y owner. Apparently my window guy said that my windshield has some hazing that’s inside of the glass. It’s hard to see though, at least to me. Service appointment is next week and I hope they replace it. Anyone has this done before? Or any advice to deep clean it and maybe work it out?

Barkeepers Friend. Make a paste with a small amount of water and scrub. Clean with fresh water. A bit harder to do this on the inside of the glass but you may want to cover the dashboard with a cloth to keep things neat.

I use this on the outside of the windshield to clean the glass of any haze, tree sap or road gunk.

That is called the VINYL FOG, been around since they started using all sorts of plastics and adhesives on the interior.
An old detailers trick is to use a few sheets of old newspaper and your favorite glass cleaner. That will strip any film off and get down to the bare glass.

Reactions: KMC_307
Thank you all. Thr haze is also a common issue on these cars and sometimes it is inside the glass and not able to be cleaned. New windshield was installed today and I am happy. I will def deep clean it if I see any haze again.

Thank you all. Thr haze is also a common issue on these cars and sometimes it is inside the glass and not able to be cleaned. New windshield was installed today and I am happy. I will def deep clean it if I see any haze again.
I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago and last night was the first rain and I had tons of haze. Tesla noted it on my service appt and want to see how they will fix it.

I think the previous poster meant off gassing of plastics used in the interior materials. Mine isn't so bad as to actually obstruct my view, except if the sun is hitting it. Then it's very hazy. Definitely annoying to have to clean it so frequently.

I think the previous poster meant off gassing of plastics used in the interior materials. Mine isn't so bad as to actually obstruct my view, except if the sun is hitting it. Then it's very hazy. Definitely annoying to have to clean it so frequently.
This is terrible. I never experienced this at all in any car ever. I will see what Tesla will do. I will ask try that cleaner and keep it in the car when I drive.

Inside window haze can be cleaned using Invisible Glass spray (not the aerosol can) and a clean microfiber wash cloth. You may have to go over the inside glass two times, use separate microfiber cloth for the second pass. Invisible Glass sends a wand that greatly improves your reach, makes it easy to reach all parts of the windshield. Invisible Glass cleaner, the wand or microfiber cloth can be used on the outside glass too.)

I usually use Invisible Glass and paper towels on the outside of the windshield, rear hatch glass and side windows, mirrors to remove most of the dirt and grime. I save the microfiber cloth for the second pass on the outside of the glass. This way the microfiber wash cloth stays pretty clean, can be washed in cold water and air dried (no heat) and reused many times.

My model y is about 5 months now and it’s still pretty bad. I think it’s getting on the glass in front of the camera lens too since the wipers keep going when I have auto p on and it’s not wet.

Inside window haze can be cleaned using Invisible Glass spray (not the aerosol can) and a clean microfiber wash cloth. You may have to go over the inside glass two times, use separate microfiber cloth for the second pass. Invisible Glass sends a wand that greatly improves your reach, makes it easy to reach all parts of the windshield. Invisible Glass cleaner, the wand or microfiber cloth can be used on the outside glass too.)

I usually use Invisible Glass and paper towels on the outside of the windshield, rear hatch glass and side windows, mirrors to remove most of the dirt and grime. I save the microfiber cloth for the second pass on the outside of the glass. This way the microfiber wash cloth stays pretty clean, can be washed in cold water and air dried (no heat) and reused many times.
This was the same recommendation our glass guy said. He works on replacing house glazing, and I was having the fog issue as well so I asked his advice. We chatted and he swore by invisible glass and microfibre clothes. I went from cleaning the windows every two or three weeks to twice a year. Works like a charm. Better then "mom's glass cleaner" of vinegar and water, better then chemical Brothers glass cleaner, better then Windex, better then armor all glass cleaner - they all streaked or fogged up again pretty quick. Two thumbs up for this simple solution with invisible glass. Could also be like the other poster mentioned and the car has finished off gassing? Eitherway, this has been working for our 2021 MY.

Reactions: fredzos